Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2018, 10:55   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 Japanese Grand Prix

Disgusting lenience for Max and the radio post the penalty was announced is even worse. Kimi could have waited, "wah". Too much rubbish from this driver tolerated.
nkrishnap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 12:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Disgusting lenience for Max and the radio post the penalty was announced is even worse. Kimi could have waited, "wah". Too much rubbish from this driver tolerated.
Haha. That " he could have waited" comment cracked me up. He clearly went off the track and gained an advantage let alone bang into Raikkonen like that. Verstappen leads a charmed life. A reversal of roles and had that been Vettel, you would have heard DC go bonkers about fair play and all. As is DC was stumping for Verstappen on how he got back onto the track safely and how the driver steward spent too much time out of single seater racing. Verstappen is ensuring that F1 gets a lot of TRPs and as is is going to be allowed to get away with a lot more.

Looking at Riccardo in the last race and this, what Verstappen achieves with a lot of drama, Riccardo achieves with some solid racing. Verstappen reminds me of Villeneuve in a way. He is pretty respectful around the Silver Arrows on track and to the drivers as well. Mercedes on his horizon in the next couple of years?

Should Vettel have done what he did? I think he had nothing to lose. Saw a gap and went for it. At this stage his only chance of winning the championship is through some big moves. Keeping the gap down to the Mercedes was crucial at that stage. And with Ferrari getting into the habit if commiting strategic hakkakiri, perhaps he's got to take his chances. As is his start to get to 4th and later making up places from 18th to 6th made the day for me.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 7th October 2018 at 12:38.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 12:46   #33
BHPian

Few points:

Hamilton will gun for 100 victories. He can achieve that in next 3-4 years. I think looking at his motivation, he surely wants to pass MSC (91), and get that mark.

Now we can expect Bottas to win a race or two.

How I long to see Verstappen in a Ferrari or an equally matched car to the Mercedes. The chap is got a super career ahead.

Vettel didn't deserve to win the championship. He needs to take a year break and come back.
avdhesh15 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 13:36   #34
BHPian

I wonder whether Max will do the same antics when he is around the Mercs, he seems nicer when the Mercs are around. Vettel keeps on making mistakes when he is under pressure, could have waited for the move later knowing that Max has a 5 second penalty.

Just a question, is Bottas not guilty of leaving the track similar to what Alonso and Stroll had done earlier? And no investigation and penalty for that?
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 14:05   #35
BHPian

Not much to be said about today's race really. Vettel was heated up when went for that move - on a corner where overtakes aren't usually possible, against Max Verstappen - I don't know what outcome he was expecting. He needs to take some time and think about racing for a bit.

Strong performance from Mercedes, Lewis was literally cruising. He can wrap it up in Austin if he can manage an 8 point gap over Vettel which is looking possible.
Porcupine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 17:03   #36
Team-BHP Support

If Leclerc comes good at Ferrari (seems to have the talent), then Merc is the only possible top drive available to Max in the next few years, unless Honda spring a cracker on everyone else. Helps to not piss off a potential employer.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 18:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
How I long to see Verstappen in a Ferrari or an equally matched car to the Mercedes. The chap is got a super career ahead.
+1 to that. Max in a Ferrari would have been a proper opponent to Lewis this year. For that reason I think Daniel would also have done a better job that what Seb has managed so far. My hopes are on Charles LeClerc. Seeing a lot of comments wherein people are expecting him to come good by the second half of next year or maybe earlier. Will be exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If Leclerc comes good at Ferrari (seems to have the talent), then Merc is the only possible top drive available to Max in the next few years, unless Honda spring a cracker on everyone else. Helps to not piss off a potential employer.
Doesn't Lewis have veto on the choice of teammate? He is definitely not gonna want Max as his teammate. Also I think Ocon seems to be the more likely candidate.

What a sublime drive by Lewis. Even from the other side, one has to admit he is a class apart.

Last edited by nair : 7th October 2018 at 18:46.
nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 18:51   #38
BANNED

A very interesting race. Too many infarctions by drivers. i think Vettel was also done by.

However, quite a lot of overtaking throughout the race. One cannot say F1 is dull.

In any case the F1 championship is all but won by Hamilton. I just do not like the guy but he has been exceptional.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 20:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
Doesn't Lewis have veto on the choice of teammate? He is definitely not gonna want Max as his teammate. Also I think Ocon seems to be the more likely candidate.

What a sublime drive by Lewis. Even from the other side, one has to admit he is a class apart.
I don't think he has an official veto like Vettel does, but I'm sure he has more than a say on it and his voice carries a decent amount of weight with the powers that be. I also don't think Ocon would be brought in to Mercedes atlas for a few more years, Valtteri fits the bill just fine and clearly has no problem playing second fiddle so far. Ocon might be a longer term solution as and when the time comes but there has been a lot of talk recently of Mercedes severing their ties with him, and possibly ending the young driver program altogether.
Porcupine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 20:21   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
...Doesn't Lewis have veto on the choice of teammate? He is definitely not gonna want Max as his teammate...
I'm inclined to think Hamilton won't be driving too long into the future (personal opinion only). He's closing in on all-time records, and could very well surpass most before the next reg changes in 2021 allow others to catch up to dominant Mercedes. He's also stated on multiple occasions that he may eventually move on to non-F1 interests.

Ferrari are a mess even if they have a competent car, Red Bull probably won't be title contenders in the rest of the hybrid era, and no other team is even a podium contender without extenuating circumstances.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 22:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
I also don't think Ocon would be brought in to Mercedes atlas for a few more years, Valtteri fits the bill just fine and clearly has no problem playing second fiddle so far.
Agreed. Valtteri is a good "wingman" for Lewis at the moment. Was just saying Ocon is more of a possibility than Max. I rate Ocon highly. His background and rise to be in F1 is nothing short of inspiring.

Speaking of travesties against the Formula 1 fans, see below the flawless lap put out by Alonso during qualifying -

Ignore the 2017 part, track conditions are not the same. However, see how despite Alonso's mastery and flawless technique that McLaren could manage just 18th on the grid.
nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 09:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Lewis can afford to sit out of the final races after wrapping the 5th if he so wishes now. 2019 Laureus! he we come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm inclined to think Hamilton won't be driving too long into the future (personal opinion only).
My hunch is that Lewis might jump ship to Ferrari. Titles with 3 different teams! He wouldn't need anything else to be called the GOAT. Ferrari is thereabouts with the car. All the team needs now is a driver + race engineer operating at the highest level with consistency. Lewis, Bono and their hammer can bring that to Maranello. And money is not an object with Philip Morris strongly back in the fray. And who wouldn't want to stand atop the top step of Monza wearing the red overalls? It is looking increasingly likely!

Multiple titles can open your mind to different aspirations, challenges, and triumphs. And Lewis has always got the shots very very right when it comes to moving teams. All he needs is an inception!

Coming back to the race, I think the Vettel - Verstappen clash was a racing incident. Vettel saw a gap and went for it, but the Ferrari wasn't close enough to pull that off. And Verstappen had the right of line. It will be harsh to give a penalty for either there. Vettel should have waited and picked him off later. Anyways hindsight 20/20 and all that!

deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 09:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

This was a fairly absorbing race. I was a bit surprised that Vettel did not put the hammer down in the final 15 laps to get closer to Kimi and possibly pass him. It would have meant additional points, and a better chance at the drivers' championship. Makes me wonder - has he already given up?

As far as he drivers' championship is concerned, it looks like Hamilton almost has it in his bag. If he wins in Austin and Mercedes do a 1-2, even with Vettel 3rd, he will have won the championship.

I feel sad that Ferrari aren't fighting hard (or smart) enough. Their shoulders seem to have sagged, head down, hunched, and are effectively out for the count.
Old 8th October 2018, 10:34   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

My hunch is that Lewis might jump ship to Ferrari. Titles with 3 different teams! He wouldn't need anything else to be called the GOAT. Ferrari is thereabouts with the car. All the team needs now is a driver + race engineer operating at the highest level with consistency.
I highly doubt it. Beyond the brand, passion and car, what has Ferrari got to offer? Their strategy and operations are messed up. The last thing he wants to do is become an Alonso - great driver, wrong team!

He's comfortable where he is. My bet is that he will stay with Mercedes, he is too well integrated with them and in a better position to fight Verstappen. For the heck of it, am sure he will shoot for 7+ World Championships but I doubt it as Vertappen, maybe a resurgent Vettel, or Ocon might get signed up with another team in a couple of years. Or Riccardio might kick ass in Renault.

A lot can happen, or a lot may stay the same!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 11:07   #45
Senior - BHPian

The championship is almost wrapped up by Mercedez and Hamilton. I don't see multiple car failures or Verstappens eyes suddenly being caught by silver shades of paint. He's still not recovered from the "red-eye" problems he's got.He just seems to get reeled into a red car all the time.

"he could have waited till I came back on the track". Yeah Kimi should have parked up with a bouquet of flowers while waiting for Max to get back on track.

Plenty of action on track, that was great to see. There is actually quite a tense battle for 7th place in the drivers championship with Perez, Hulkenberg and Magnussen all tied on 53 points. Alonso and Ocon on 50 and 49 points. That battle should get pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
My hunch is that Lewis might jump ship to Ferrari. Titles with 3 different teams! He wouldn't need anything else to be called the GOAT. Ferrari is thereabouts with the car. All the team needs now is a driver + race engineer operating at the highest level with consistency. Lewis, Bono and their hammer can bring that to Maranello. And money is not an object with Philip Morris strongly back in the fray. And who wouldn't want to stand atop the top step of Monza wearing the red overalls? It is looking increasingly likely!
It is quite a possibility deetjohn, but most likely will happen in about 2 or 3 years from now. He is signed till 2020 at Mercedez right? If Lewis is going to win titles for the next couple of years then it is quite unlikely. The guy is what?....33 years old now??

Most Viewed