Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 17:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Coronavirus & F1: Bahrain GP to be held with no spectators & Australian GP cancelled

According to a statement from the Bahrain International Circuit, the 2020 Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix will be a participants-only event due to the global coronavirus outbreak. There will be no spectators in the stands and the race weekend will go ahead as a televised event.

Coronavirus & F1: Bahrain GP to be held with no spectators & Australian GP cancelled-baharain-gp-statement-1.png

Coronavirus & F1: Bahrain GP to be held with no spectators & Australian GP cancelled-baharain-gp-statement-2.png

The Kingdom of Bahrain took the decision after consulting the national health taskforce and international partners. The race weekend would have seen thousands of international as well as local race fans in close proximity.

The Chinese Grand Prix, which was scheduled to be held between April 17-19, 2020, has been postponed due to the outbreak.

Link to Team-BHP News
ChiragM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 18:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Coronavirus & F1: Bahrain GP to be held with no spectators & Australian GP cancelled

Interesting bit is, the season opener (Australia) is expected go on as per plan
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 18:46   #3
BHPian

re: Coronavirus & F1: Bahrain GP to be held with no spectators & Australian GP cancelled

A very sensible decision in my opinion. This ensures the safety of the drivers, staff and the public at large. It ensures that the event still goes on and can be watched on TV without putting people at risk.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 01:06   #4
BHPian

I expected it somehow, most of the European countries should follow the suit if situation is still not in control. Makes total sense as of now!
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 08:04   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A highly sensible move and I believe this is the first time something like this is happening . Hats off to the brilliance of the organisers. After all, TV viewership is what really runs Formula 1 (spectator tickets only help the track owner + host city in terms of tourism).

On the other hand, I am extremely surprised at the shortsighted approach of the Australian GP organisers. I sure hope the grandstands are only 20% or so full, so it teaches them a lesson.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 13:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

It is likely to have to continue with no spectators for a while I think.

In the UK and Germany many, much smaller events are being cancelled and or postponed. The famous Classic car show, Techno Classic in Essen, which was to start end of the month announced is to be announced. Over the course of a week it typically attracts about 200.000 people. I believe the German are beginning to cancel any and all event with more than a few thousand people. Same in Switzerland

Whereas no formal government guidelines on events are in place in the UK, yesterday the massive Photographic Show in the NEC in Birmingham end of the month is cancelled too. That very same weekend the NEC would also house the the Practical classics Car & Restoration show. Spanner mate Peter and I have been going, flying over for the day, for the last three years. We got airplane and show tickets ready to go, for months. I am just waiting for them to cancel as well.

This weekend we will have the British Car and Lifestyle show. A two day, always extremely well attended event. I was going to attend, but again, I am just waiting for it to be cancelled as well.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 08:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

Australia GP is canceled!
Source

Coronavirus & F1: Bahrain GP to be held with no spectators & Australian GP cancelled-au-gp.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks