https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53325412
Hatari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 20:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Formula 1 silly season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Alonso to return in 2021
Alonso’s superlative driving abilities have been overshadowed by wrong decisions thru his career and immature behaviour not befitting a World Champion in his last innings in Formula 1.

I feel if he comes back to the grid with Renault it will slowly become a repeat of what we saw earlier, as Renault will not be able to provide him a car to fight with the big three, at least initially. Adding to his attitude, age is not on his side either and there are many drivers now who won’t really care for his past glory days.

It should be interesting to watch.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 21:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

2021 Formula 1 silly season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post

Renault is probably making a gross mistake here. No doubt, Alonso is one of the best, and still has it in him to perform at the top level. However, the question is, what does he really want? If its another championship, then Renault are not going to be in the hunt in 2021, given the rules stay the same. And 2022 could be a lottery, the current order may change, it may be Mercedes or anyone else. But even in 2022, the engine is virtually the same, so I believe Mercedes retain an inherent advantage even when the new regulations come in. So, would Alonso really be at peace with midfield battles and occasional podiums? Is he prepared to be with Renault for the long haul, may be another 2-3 years before they really become part of the leading pack? And to be honest, there is no guarantee of that!

When most teams are betting on young drivers, given the cost cap situation and also the talent around, why is Renault looking to get Alonso? Ferrari, of all, went out and got such a young driver in their team and he has clearly lived up to it. And they have now gone to Sainz for the second seat, clearly two young and upcoming drivers who also dont burn a hole in their budgets.

Mercedes have Russell as a back up, Mclaren have Norris, RBR have Max, and even Albon doesnt look so bad. Renault have Ocon too, he hasnt proven himself like a Leclerc or few of the other youngsters, but they could have paired him up with another upcoming driver.

And would Alonso be happy if he was occasionally beaten by Ocon? Im not saying Alonso has an attitude issue, but he doesnt come across as someone who is an out and out team player. Unlike Kimi, who is just here to race and make some money, Alonso seems to be coming back because he couldnt seem to get himself to enjoy other series.

What surprises me is that Ricciardo wasnt convinced to stay at the Renault works team inspite of Renault paying him thru the roof, so much so that he has opted to move to Mclaren, at a lower salary apparently. And now Alonso is convinced that Renault can deliver?

Bottom line is, Renault doesnt need Alonso to get them to the top. Their car is behind Mclaren and even Racing point as of now, they need a better and more powerful engine and some smart engineers who can shift the game in 2022 when rules change. Big names dont always mean results, just look at Ferrari, Alonso and Vettel back to back in their cars for 11 years now and nothing to show.
motorworks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 22:02   #4
BHPian

Alonso to return to F1 with Renault in 2021

Alonso to replace Ricciardo (who leaves for Mclaren). Interesting to see if he will be remotely competitive.

Last edited by Amsdoc : 7th July 2020 at 22:03.
Amsdoc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 23:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Alonso to return to F1 with Renault in 2021

Right back to where it all started. Fernando Alonso made his name in F1 back in early 2000s at Renault when it was run by Flavio Briatorre. He won both his titles with them, and against the likes of Michael Schumacher, Kimi Raikonen, Rubens Barichello, Jaun Pablo Montoya and Jensen Button, all at the peak of their prowess. Those were the good old days of V10 and V8 engines with refuelling, competitive strategies and grown men drivers going at it. Real racing.

Hope Renault manages to recreate some of its old magic, for Fernando is still perhaps the best pure driver in the world.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 7th July 2020 at 23:16.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 00:59   #6
BHPian

Hurray!! Vettel Leaving and Alonso joining back!!

Time for me to get back to watching F1.

I think Alonso does bring some follower ship and might help the viewership of the sport as well.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 09:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hope Renault manages to recreate some of its old magic, for Fernando is still perhaps the best pure driver in the world.
I think Fernando is certainly very very good. But most people at this level are given the right car and team(apart from the sponsorship bringing drivers like Stroll). Point proven when Ferrari took Mika Salo who was a languishing backmarker then for a few races to replace the injured Schumacher and he won the races. It was a shame that Ferrari couldn't give Fernando a car that was competitive and the Petrov incident robbed him of a championship. Im sure if he was in the car for the last few years instead of Vettel he would have won at least a couple of championships.
Fernando was epic in the competitive Renault and I hope Renault can provide him with a car at least capable of fighting for the top 4-6
Amsdoc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:38   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Alonso to return to F1 with Renault in 2021

Even if I was an Alonso fan, I wouldn't be happy with this news. Renault is a B team today and we can expect all the usual struggles & complaints as we saw during the Alonso-McLaren days. I don't understand why Fernando is inviting grief to himself. Keeping in mind what his last F1 season was like, this is moving from a frying pan to a fire.

Am also concerned about just how much $$$ Renault will be committing to F1. The auto market is in the doldrums, their alliance with Nissan is like a bad marriage, and they've been desperate for a merger (remember their talks with FCA). In the midst of such turbulent times, I doubt anyone will spend big money on a struggling F1 team, which Daniel Ricciardo seems happy to abandon.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Alonso’s superlative driving abilities have been overshadowed by wrong decisions thru his career and immature behaviour not befitting a World Champion in his last innings in Formula 1.

I feel if he comes back to the grid with Renault it will slowly become a repeat of what we saw earlier, as Renault will not be able to provide him a car to fight with the big three, at least initially. Adding to his attitude, age is not on his side either and there are many drivers now who won’t really care for his past glory days.

It should be interesting to watch.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
Alonso to replace Ricciardo (who leaves for Mclaren). Interesting to see if he will be remotely competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even if I was an Alonso fan, I wouldn't be happy with this news. Renault is a B team today and we can expect all the usual struggles & complaints as we saw during the Alonso-McLaren days. I don't understand why Fernando is inviting grief to himself. Keeping in mind what his last F1 season was like, this is moving from a frying pan to a fire.

Am also concerned about just how much $$$ Renault will be committing to F1. The auto market is in the doldrums, their alliance with Nissan is like a bad marriage, and they've been desperate for a merger (remember their talks with FCA). In the midst of such turbulent times, I doubt anyone will spend big money on a struggling F1 team, which Daniel Ricciardo seems happy to abandon.
I feel, this time it is just about doing what he cannot do without! That simple! He lives to race. I doubt other drivers have done as much top level racing post quitting F1.

All this downtime must be eating him alive. When you leave in the way he did, unfinished business, he was looking for a way back.

As long as the Renault is not a lemon the Mclaren was, he will do just fine.

He has matured now and recharged, realizing how much he misses being in an F1 car week in week out. With Renault he knows championships are not on the cards, but with the new rules, podiums will be. Thats all that matters.

I am thrilled. The F1 gold standard. Cannot wait.
As Karun Chandhok mentioned, if Renault are smart they will get him in the car this year for a few Friday sessions (atleast).

Check out his latest Instagram story:
#Legend
Attached Thumbnails
Alonso to return to F1 with Renault in 2021-screenshot_20200708142843__01.jpg  

Last edited by Hatari : 8th July 2020 at 14:31.
Hatari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 17:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its a bad move. Except for $$ I don't think any top driver would like to drive for Renault. I don't know know if Renault had talked to Vettel regarding F1 seat, but if they could have convinced Vettel, he could have got along vast technical knowledge from Ferrari. May be they must have spoken and Vettel disagreed.

Coming to Alonso, had he stayed at Mclaren last year, he could be fighting for podiums, as we saw Mclaren made the biggest jump in terms of car performance. Renault have always made big promises, but delivered less and that's why Ricciardo is leaving. Alonso is a very shrewd & political guy. He will build the team around himself and his team mate always plays the wingman.

Mclaren will move to Mercedes power next year, this leaves only Renault works team to use Renault PU. This will also slow down PU development compared to other PU suppliers. With Carlos Ghosn scandal, the alliance Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi is also in a mess, and there have been rumors Renault might pull out of F1 in near future.

So I am still surprised that Alonso agreed to sign up with Renault. He has had 2 years off F1. May be its his passion for racing. Alonso is definitely a top driver, but I think its his bad luck that he always lands at wrong place at wrong time.
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 21:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

I really like this!

For one, I really hope they have a fruitful partnership and it can continue to keep Renault in F1 for years to come.

Secondly, with the upcoming rule changes for '22, the onus on the driver will be quite high - less aero effects and more wheel to wheel racing. Sure, the proof is in the pudding but with guys like Ross Brawn at the helm, I am very hopeful.

And Alonso can still give many on the current grid a lesson or two on taking the maximum out of a car and racecraft.

#Vamos
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 00:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Interesting article:
Could Alonso deal ripples let Vettel and Ferrari split early? - The Race

https://the-race.com/formula-1/could...i-split-early/

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 9th July 2020 at 00:16. Reason: Adding text.
Old 9th July 2020, 11:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

The FIA maybe subsiding/pitching in for Alonso's salary by making him a brand ambassador for their safety campaign. Good proactive thinking to ensure he returns!
Attached Thumbnails
Alonso to return to F1 with Renault in 2021-screenshot_20200709105221.jpg  

Old 9th July 2020, 12:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

It's a game of musical chairs, literally.

Ricciardo joins Renault = Sainz leaves Renault
Alonso leaves McLaren = Sainz joins McLaren
Sainz leaves McLaren = Ricciardo joins McLaren
Ricciardo leaves Renault = Alonso joins Renault
RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 13:21   #15
BHPian

Even though I am no Alonso fan, his return evokes some good ol' memories of a blue and yellow livery Renault with a V10

Epic battles with Kimi and Michael through 2003-2005. The best of the V10 era with all the drama that could only originate from a unique personality like Alonso!

That said, Renault would have been better off to get Hulkenberg in the driving seat and used Alonso's salary budget in development as per new regs
Attached Thumbnails
Alonso to return to F1 with Renault in 2021-al1.jpeg  

ds.raikkonen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed