Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2007, 22:14   #1
BHPian

Was Kimi failing last year or was it the Mclaren?

I have been a Mclaren fan and Fin drivers. Loved Mika Hakkinen and Kimi.....I trully believed in "If you want to win, bring a fin" ....But 2007 season is making me think otherwise...I used to feel that Mclaren is ruining Kimi's career by making bad cars which cannot even complete a race...but looking at this years' stading.....rookie taking podium in all the three races using the same car which used to stop on virtually every outing last year.....Alonso and Hamilton has brought back Mclaren V/s Ferrari to Formula 1 which i thought Kimi would have done last year.....

Was Kimi not making good use of the car, may be trying too hard or are Lewis Alonso better drivers than Kimi or something has changed w.r.t to Mclaren techincal team (leading to better cars)?
Old 16th April 2007, 23:42   #2
BHPian

i think when a new season starts quite a lot of things change with the car and the team,was supporting kimi to win this year but seeing hamiltons performance i am all out for him(may the rookie win)
Old 16th April 2007, 23:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

Like GTO mentioned in another thread, its more about how the driver nurses the team and boosts their morale, compare the last year's Renalts and Mclaren and the difference and effect of a good TEAM DRIVER is evident.
Alonso has surely earned a ton of criticism around here, heck i'd prefer supporting Sato maybe, but lets face it, he has been successful in turning around the plagued Mclaren to what it is today apart from being a double world champion.

manson.
Old 16th April 2007, 23:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well Kimi started off on a winning note for his new team and Fonso followed it up with a win for his. About Hamilton whatever you say is not enough and by the wau he's going I dont think the word rookie will apply to him for long. Nice guy I hope he wins a race this season which I'm sure he will
Old 17th April 2007, 00:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Its just a continuation of some ordinary luck for Kimi. Last yr he pushed but the car didnt; this yr the car is capable but I'd say Ferrari are on a strategy for Kimi to finish as high as possible without any retirement/engine changes in these away races. Expect to see him charge from the Euro races onwards
Old 17th April 2007, 00:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Its just a continuation of some ordinary luck for Kimi.
I doubt it - Kimi has been given the benefit of doubt thus far. Is he the only unlucky driver around?

Stig just put out in writing what was on many people's (okay mine, anyway) minds for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Alonso has surely earned a ton of criticism around here, heck i'd prefer supporting Sato maybe, but lets face it, he has been successful in turning around the plagued Mclaren to what it is today apart from being a double world champion.
AMEN. Another driver who like Kimi sometime ago was driving a tailender like Minardi. He has already won 2 WCs in a car that suddenly looks very ordinary now.

Kimi got the tag of Mika Hakkinen's spiritual successer - time he lives up to it.

Last edited by Steeroid : 17th April 2007 at 00:21.
Old 17th April 2007, 02:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Remember there has been a tire change as well and every car has reacted differently to this. Renault has been suffering.
Old 17th April 2007, 05:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
I have been a Mclaren fan and Fin drivers. Loved Mika Hakkinen and Kimi.....I trully believed in "If you want to win, bring a fin" ....But 2007 season is making me think otherwise...I used to feel that Mclaren is ruining Kimi's career by making bad cars which cannot even complete a race...but looking at this years' stading.....rookie taking podium in all the three races using the same car which used to stop on virtually every outing last year.....Alonso and Hamilton has brought back Mclaren V/s Ferrari to Formula 1 which i thought Kimi would have done last year.....

Was Kimi not making good use of the car, may be trying too hard or are Lewis Alonso better drivers than Kimi or something has changed w.r.t to Mclaren techincal team (leading to better cars)?
A very good point Stig (or whoever you are).
But if you actually see Kimi's performance in the McLaren last year, he's either retired or finished above 5th. That means that the car had the pace but wasn't fast enough. Or it could be that Kimi wasn't pushing it enough because he knew it's limitations. On the other hand, Hamilton has nothing to lose. He's brand new to F1 and doesn't have any history here.

I think Ferrari suits Kimi's driving style better. It's not the fastest car but definitely the most reliable. The MP4-21 was the other way round. Drivers like Kimi don't need very fast cars, but they need reliability. Look at Renault right now, Fisichella will be shown the door by the end of the season and Briatore will try to "buy" someone from one of the bigger teams.

Having said all that, I do think that Kimi needs to pull up his socks.
Old 17th April 2007, 08:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
But if you actually see Kimi's performance in the McLaren last year, he's either retired or finished above 5th.
I agree. Come on guys, give the Finn a break. I think he drove the wheels off the Mclaren last year whenever he got a chance (as in car not packing up). Remember Bahrain - from the last row of the grid to a podium finish. That car is vastly improved this year, there's no doubt about that.

Having said that, I haven't seen Kimi really PUSH this season in either Malaysia (overheating issues) or this time in Bahrain, whereas Hamilton is going flat out. He's a bright youngster, just hope he can withstand the pressure that is sure to keep mounting as the season progresses......
Old 17th April 2007, 09:53   #10
BHPian

kimis a really good driver.Last year he was fast but then the car was not reliable.This year the car is fast but not him..Kimi really need to think about the start of the race where he loses.
Old 17th April 2007, 09:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Last season n the season before that, the McLaren always gave up on Kimi. He was totally up challenging Alonso in the 05'season, and we know how the McLaren gave up in the last moments, which otherwise would have let Kimi win the championship. He was blisteringly fast, so fast that the car couldn't take it..

Just look at the number of retirements/DNF's n all...sheesh!! About time he got a reliable car, which Ferrari has now provided. He was quoted on itv.com/f1 that he wasnt that happy with the Ferrari's handling this season, but that will be improving a lot in Europe after testing after which he is gonna mean business

Well, last year also it had over heating probs n all. But mostly it was Alonso vs Michael so Kimi wasnt upto the challenege anyways.

Looks like its gonna be a 4way challenge btw Alonso, Kimi, Hamilton n Massa. Finally about time we saw some great action in F1 and some thrilling races.

Last edited by karthik247 : 17th April 2007 at 09:58.
Old 17th April 2007, 10:48   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Of course Kimi is good. He wouldnt be in F1 otherwise. But is he championship material? Too many excuses to far (unreliability, slow car etc. etc.). He better pull up his socks and deliver this year. In consistency, qualifying and race pace.

However, the juniors (Massa and Hamilton) are sure as hell keeping the seniors (Kimi and Alonso) on their toes, arent they?
Old 17th April 2007, 10:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

The fly away races have really hotted up things this season. Everyone who thought that it would be a Kimi and Alonso duel (myself included) have been proven. I knew Massa would be up there but Hamilton has taken everyone by surprise. A championship contender in 3 races itself. A few more races ike these and we may find Massa and Hamilton fighting it out at the top instead of their team mates.
Old 17th April 2007, 12:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Can't help remembering a scene from the past.
Michael Schumacher was hot on the heels of Kimi Raikkonen and KR just blew it under pressure. Yes, there is a huge difference between MS and Massa / KR, but, the way Lewis Hamilton has handled pressure from these two is worth admiration.
After so many years of viewing, I don't think KR is championship material, whether in a McLaren or a Ferrari.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th April 2007 at 12:37.
Old 17th April 2007, 12:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

I think that Kimi has now run out of excuses. World Championships are never gifted (except in the case of Hill maybe ) and Kimi has to make his own luck. He has the fastest car out there, a very reliable one as well. If he doesn't do it this year, I'm afraid he may end up as another also ran.

It's not good enough to just drive as hard as you can, or till the car breaks, then walk out and say that its the car's fault. Every driver out there is fast, and given a quick and reliable car, they all can have a shot at the title. However, if you notice the way Alonso drives, that's what gets you championships. You have to be smart and know which battles to win and which to walk away from with as much as you can, only to fight another day.

Best example would be the last race in Bahrain. For whatever reason, Alonso was just not on the pace. He realised that and changed his driving style to suit this. He didn't go berserk when he was passed by a BMW. He drove a steady race, picked up some points and saved his engine for the next race. He now goes into his home grand prix with an engine that is far less strained than the others, so that means he can push that bit extra. Smart driving!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks