Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2021, 00:47   #16
BHPian

Re: MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi announces retirement

Truly end of an era. Well, after the fiasco of 2015 with Marc I feel Rossi started to let go a bit.

I was lucky to have seen him race in 2016 at Malaysia. Got to see him and Marc up close. Got a chance to take selfie with Marc as well. I have always been a Rossi fan, I have got nothing against Marc either.

Time to re-watch some of the old classic duels with Stoner, Lorenzo and the likes.

Forzavale!

Last edited by vj_torqueaddict : 7th August 2021 at 00:59.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 02:01   #17
BHPian

End of an Era. I always considered him Ayrton Senna of MotoGP. We will miss you legend on race track.
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 09:33   #18
BHPian

Was rooting for him as underdog for couple of years against the younger guys and waiting for the 10th title. Sadly the last couple of years was painful to watch. So would say was the right time to retire.

Nonetheless a true legend who has transcended the sport and brought more eyeballs to motogp.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 09:35   #19
BHPian

Riding skills and championships apart, there was a charisma and vivacity that was his trademark. That energy translated itself into so many die hard fans and followers over the years. During his peak, the races were also close unlike the pole to podium runs later. The last lap is usually when that killer move came in and the exemplary racecraft showed itself. And look at the men he fought. Marc, Stoner, Lorenzo, Hayden, Perdrosa, Biaggi... All of them evoke so much respect to cement his place as an all time great.
megazoid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 09:39   #20
Team-BHP Support

An old bloke here, watching races since the 2 stroke era. Witnessed the transit from 2 stroke to 4.

One thing stayed permanent, was to cheer up for Valentino Rossi #46 till Marquez arrived.

Marquez for sure does not have the charisma or off track persona of #46, which is of some importance in Moto-GP. Valentino managed both, brilliantly.

From Biaggi to Gibernau to Marquez, the rivalries indeed came a long way. If wishes were horses, it would have been nice to see a young Marquez against a young Rossi.

I am fortunate to witness him race at his finest, one of the better moments for me.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th August 2021 at 10:16.
Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 11:44   #21
BHPian

What a career 'The Doctor' has had. Hats off! Wishing him a happy retirement and hope he hangs out in the paddock in another role.

Reactions from the F1 fraternity.

Also featured in the list of drivers never to race in F1.

Coincidentally the odometer reading of the pre-worshipped Maruti 800 MPFI which I purchased back in 2018 was 46464.6.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 13:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

VR46, forever!

He turned a name into a brand! Not many can do it, isn’t it?

What Michael Schumacher is to F1 & Ferrari, Valentino Rossi is to MotoGP & Yamaha!

I still remember myself buying jackets with Rossi’s name or that number on it good old days!

Remember the quote “You die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villian!” - Health Ledger aka The Joker!

Regards

RV
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 17:55   #23
BHPian

I don't know if can pen an apt panegyric of VR46' racing career. I have followed GP racing way before he started racing in 125s. I remember being at GP Motorcycles in San Diego CA waiting for my 907 to be ready and the guys there discussing this new Phenom called "Rossi" in 125. There were quite a few Italians who were pretty good - including Cadalora, Capirossi, Biaggi and aging "late" Romboni. Of course no one knew then what this guy was going to do. Cadalora won the last 500cc race in Laguna and Romboni won the last 250 race there if my memory serves me right - that was my first time watching a GP live - experiencing sounds and smell of GP bikes. Of course Biaggi became a 250 legend and his foray into the major league was fraught with troubles - VR46 being one of them.

Although I was not exactly his fan, I have watched him beat some of my favourites and others in hard fought battles.

I have been privileged enough to watch him live at the "dry lagoon" from various vantage points on the three occasions he raced there. Finishing 3rd in his first time out (behind the Americans "late" Niky, and Collin), retiring right in front of my eyes with a broken motor in his second attempt (with a smoking bumble bee), and then winning against my favourite Case Stoner in his third attempt. I was not there when MM93 made that kamikaze move on VR46 - the move that VR46 did on Stoner entering Cork Screw.

He had a great bonding with Jeremy B who had successfully seen Doohan to 5 titles. Apart from his marriage with Ducati being a hellish ride, he is one of the few to win on two brands (Lawson won on Honda and Yamaha) - VR46 was a fan of Kevin S and also took a liking to Norifumi Abe (Rossi-fumi originated from Abe's name)

His biography is a must read for his fans.

Roger Federer, Michael Jordan, Michael Schumacher and Valentino Rossi are all special legends.

It was impossible to get close to him to get an autograph since he was always mobbed. One of my friends managed to get it. My kid used to wear the YELLOW Rossi jersey which we still have with us. I will see if I can dig up some pics from the races.

Last edited by ksanjee : 7th August 2021 at 18:08.
ksanjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 21:58   #24
BHPian

People didn't start loving cars because of Senna or Schumacher, but I know many including close friends who took up biking just because of Rossi.

The man is synonymous with not just MotoGP but also anyone who loves bikes.
nishsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 10:54   #25
BHPian

Not much into MotoGP (I have no idea about it!), but I know this yellow 46, that sums up his achievement.

Thank you Legend.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 19:13   #26
BHPian

What does the racing world think of Valentino Rossi’s decision to retire? LINK

The amount of respect Rossi has from his peers, rivals and fans is truly amazing!!
Old 14th August 2021, 01:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
People didn't start loving cars because of Senna or Schumacher, but I know many including close friends who took up biking just because of Rossi.

The man is synonymous with not just MotoGP but also anyone who loves bikes.
So true!! Oh Boy!! It gives me goosebumps typing this!! I have only ever felt this for Sachin and Schumacher!! Maybe I will this way for Federer as well, when he retires. Sachin definitely was closest to my heart of course.

I wouldn't even pretend that I am the biggest fan of Rossi!!
But he did have an impact on my love for motorcycle racing.
He did have an impact on my love for Yamaha.

What he has done for the sport is truly second to none. I am sure no one will disgree that Motogp reached its today's level of fanbase mostly because of him.

We will be missing seeing that 46 wheelie on the checquered flag!!

Forza Vale!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 14:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

Vale is expecting a child with his partner, a baby girl. This might be a big reason to finally hang up the boots and enjoy family Life.
fz_rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 10:16   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Motogp on facebook has been going on non stop with #GrazieVale, and understandably. It's his last race, coming up, and this picture shows the magnitude of the man's achievements.
Attached Thumbnails
MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi announces retirement-fb_img_1636685779836.jpg  

mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 16:39   #30
BHPian

Man, i am great fan of him, so is my son. Even when my son was three, he used to shout Rossi, Rossi whenever bike 46 is shown in the race. A real legend. He had guts to move to different teams instead of resting on single winning team and relying on their glory.
vennarbank is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks