Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2021, 12:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Formula 1 | 2021 Mexican Grand Prix | 5-7/8 November 2021

Name:  images 3.jpeg
Views: 136
Size:  66.9 KB

Named after the famous Mexican driver, The Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez is hosting the Mexican Grand Prix for the first time in 2 years. Known for it's high elevation and ridiculous setups, the circuit is thrilling to watch.

Formula 1 | 2021 Mexican Grand Prix | 5-7/8 November 2021-image.png

Track Length: 4.304KM
No. of Laps: 71
Top Speed: 362.5KM/H (Lewis Hamilton in FP1)
Usually stays around 320-330 with a maximum of 349KM/H in race spec.
Gear Changes: 52
Full Throttle: 45%

Tyres

have chosen the central compounds in the list with the C2, C3 & C4.

Name:  images 4.jpeg
Views: 139
Size:  51.2 KB

Schedule

Formula 1 | 2021 Mexican Grand Prix | 5-7/8 November 2021-smartselect_20211105123103_formula-1.jpg

Weather

The weather remains the same for Mexico. Sunny with cloud cover throughout the weekend, as is the norm there.

Name:  SmartSelect_20211105123017_Brave.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  23.0 KB

Last edited by akash_v12 : 5th November 2021 at 12:53.
akash_v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 13:49   #2
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 | 2021 Mexican Grand Prix | 5-7/8 November 2021

Those timings are in IST right? For some reason the F1 calendar that you can sync to your Google calendar is not updating to the calendar changes and I thought the Mexico GP was last week
sen2693 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 13:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
Those timings are in IST right?
Timings are in IST.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 15:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Bottas nailed qualifying and how. I am not sure that Verstappen would have gotten pole even if it was not for the spot of bad luck he faced in his qualifying lap. Bottas was already nailing purple sectors.

Ferrari and Alfa Tauri look the most competitive in mid field with McLaren under the shade a bit in the last couple of races. What's great for McLaren is that Riccardo has stepped up into his true self and qualifying is Q3 often above Norris. So more often than not McLaren has two cars in the mix now.

Engine reliability is the biggest bugbear now. The keen competition at the front and mid pack has raised the importance of strategically taking penalties so not to suffer at races where the car is traditionally strong. I have never seen it being so important in past seasons.

The start is going to be super interesting to put it lightly.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 02:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The first corner sealed the fate of the race, but brilliant driving by Perez, and equally well defended by Hamilton.

The celebrations in the end were just amazing, the fun of having live fans is what makes the sport so special. This season is going to end on a cliffhanger.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 02:53   #6
VRJ
BHPian

Ole Ole Ole Ole CHECO PEREZ

Max Max Max Super Max Max Max Super Max and Super Honda.

Right before the race, I texted my usual F1 friend that I’m all worried about Turn 1. It’s going to make or break the race for RB. They needed the tow and they capitalised the opportunity brilliantly. What a good drive by Checo and Ham. I was so gutted after yesterday’s qualification, but I guess it was all part of the ‘double-bluff’ plan by RB, lol. I’m soo happy for Checo. He deserves every bit of it. RB tried to pull what Mercedes tried in Austin with Ham. If not for the straight line speed of the Mercs, Checo might have overtook Ham towards the end. Mexico (myself included) would’ve erupted if that actually happened. McLarens have really troubled the Mercs this race. Firstly, Danny Ric spins Bottas’s car and continues to stay ahead of Bottas in the following laps costing Bottas 3-6 seconds per lap. Secondly, Lando as a back marker was ahead of Ham and this costed Ham a second or two.

Checo’s dad is clearly the highlight of the post-race celebrations. There’s just no end to his happiness. Such a proud father. First Mexican to stand on the podium in Mexico. A special day for Checo, his family and Mexico. The energy in the grandstands is just next level!!

Formula 1 | 2021 Mexican Grand Prix | 5-7/8 November 2021-eeb85e505e4241e893af2b459dea3228.jpeg

Source: https://twitter.com/f1/status/1457449882202087430?s=21

What a brilliant drive by Gasly as well. Poor fellow, never gets the recognition he deserves. There’s always something or someone that steals his spotlight. Man deserves a lot more appreciation.

The constructors gap is only 1 freaking point in favour of Mercedes and we only have four races to go. 2021 season just keeps giving, doesn’t it?

Cheers!

Last edited by VRJ : 8th November 2021 at 03:06.
Old 8th November 2021, 02:57   #7
BHPian

A perfect race for Max, the move on the first lap sealed his win, the 2.2 sec pit stop was perfect from RedBull.

Looking at the qualifying and practice, I thought Mercedes were up with the pace. However , the truth was out today.

Perez covering a gap of 8 seconds in 5-6 laps was amazing. The crowd was fantastic, wonder what if Perez would have finished 2nd.

Brilliant battle between Ricciardo and Bottas.

A good 4th finish for Gasley, sadly he hardly got any footage with the battle between Perez-Hamilton, Bottas and Ricciardo.

Overall a fun race to watch. Quite relaxed one, especially after the nail biting United States GP.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 08:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

What a start to an amazing race. That just defined the outcome of the race completely!

You got to feel for Perez aka Checo to be the first Mexican on his home track at the podium. Although I do wish he'd given a stronger fight to Hamilton and got the second position, but doesn't look like its on his mind at all! Thoughout the post-race celebrations, Checo was having the best day of his life!

Formula 1 | 2021 Mexican Grand Prix | 5-7/8 November 2021-fdop37nwyaqupfu.jpeg
Source: Formula1 twitter profile
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 10:05   #9
BHPian

Did anyone else's stream end abruptly while Toto was being interviewed? Unlike the Russian GP fiasco, I don't think this has anything to do with Hotstar.

Still, I've heard good things about F1 TV in the US. Is it a viable option for us if we choose to use a VPN?

As for the racing itself, I was surprised with how close the constructor's championship is now. At one stage it looked like Mercedes was going to run away with it.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quite a see saw weekend. Red Bull race resurgence and domination was unexpected after Qualifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
The first corner sealed the fate of the race, but brilliant driving by Perez, and equally well defended by Hamilton.

The celebrations in the end were just amazing, the fun of having live fans is what makes the sport so special. This season is going to end on a cliffhanger.
Mercedes were missing 2-3 tenths on Sunday, quite sure Max would have won regardless of the 1st corner incident.

Good to see the Max extend his lead.

A shout out to Gasly. He is just driving the socks out of the Toro Rosso, im sure its suiting his style perfectly.
Old 8th November 2021, 12:24   #11
BHPian

Red bull were favourites going into the weekend and the results indicate just that. Sergio perez would have had P2 if it was not for the back markers coming his way in the closing stages. The altitude of the track suited Red Bull very well. Max was nearly 17 seconds in front of Hamilton. Gasly in P4, who drove a beautiful race was a full 1 min behind Max.

Charles held up Sainz for a couple of laps despite team orders. Sainz had the pace and could have had Gasly, but gave back the place to Charles at the end.

Daniel really needs to step up his game now. He needs to find the right balance with the car and be in the mix. His defence is great but attack is just not there. He needs to work on that.
Old 8th November 2021, 13:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Mercedes were missing 2-3 tenths on Sunday, quite sure Max would have won regardless of the 1st corner incident.
While I agree with the pace advantage (we saw Perez close in a good 10 second gap against Hamilton).

But track position seemed quite crucial in this race. Cooling issues ensured cars weren't following each other closely. Very few passes too. The Bottas-Ricciardo struggle is just one example.
--
While all focus was on the Mercedes-Redbull battle. Ferrari has quietly leapfrogged McLaren in the constructors.
Old 8th November 2021, 13:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great race! A world champions drive from Max, beautiful display. His and Red Bulls consistency could seal both championships for them this year. What a feat it would be for Honda to beat Mercedes when they are at the top of their game in the last year of the current regulations and with Honda bowing out at the end of this year.

Hope for a clean end to this year’s championship in the last four races with no technical glitches or any issues with either Max or Hamilton’s car. It should be decided on track with wheel to wheel racing. Whoever wins it, will be a rightfully deserving world champion.

Hamilton did very well to keep Perez back towards the end even though the straight line speed of the Mercedes was better. Perez’s much better tyres balanced out the speed advantage to a large extent.

You have to feel for Bottas, I think he has the worst luck of all the drivers on the grid put together this year. Again he does everything right, stitches the perfect qualifying lap only to be shunted on lap one and to add insult to injury also had a delayed pit stop due to his left front brake disc/tyre problem.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 20:55   #14

Bottas, tough luck, as we saw too many times this year. May be next year would bring freedom, if not much pace and politics.
Max, great drive in a car that has the pace this year.
Perez, finally he is coming out of the bad luck's shadow may be ( I could not believe when I saw the quali disaster).
Hamilton, tried everything. But that car can't keep up with Honda this year except on straight-line may be. But if you had been this alert earlier this year, we could have had more fun earlier this year. So many races wasted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks