Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:11   #1
BHPian

Max Verstappen to race for Red Bull till the end of 2028 after mega deal

Max Verstappen has signed a deal with Red Bull to race for the team for another six years, until the end of 2028. The deal is rumored to be worth €40m per year.

Max Verstappen to race for Red Bull till the end of 2028 after mega deal-fm6lafsxwauvfl.jpg

This is the longest Red Bull contract since its inception (and may well be the longest one of all time). This is what Verstappen had to say on the matter:
Quote:
I really enjoy being part of the Oracle Red Bull Racing team, so choosing to stay to the 2028 season was an easy decision. I love this team and last year was simply incredible: our goal since we came together in 2016 was to win the championship and we have done that, so now it’s about keeping the number one on the car long-term.
Although the term of the contract is unconventionally long, we can fully expect that there are performance clauses on both parties, though this has not been confirmed yet.
sravankrishnan is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Max Verstappen to race for Red Bull till the end of 2028 after mega deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sravankrishnan View Post
Max Verstappen has signed a deal with Red Bull to race for the team for another six years, until the end of 2028.
That's a big vote of confidence. Pretty justified, considering his performance and his age. Am sure both sides will have exit clauses, but still. I know other drivers have had longer stints, but that was after multiple contract extensions/renewals? Is this the longest single contract by duration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I hope Max has someone looking out for him like Brawn/Todt were to Michael Schumacher or Niki Lauda was to Hamilton...
Oh he does, daddy Jos.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd March 2022 at 16:38.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
That's a big vote of confidence.
By both sides, I feel! By signing already for five additional years, after next year, just shows Max's belief in RBR. After all, there's always the lure of the holy grail - scarlet red!

I hope Max has someone looking out for him like Brawn/Todt were to Michael Schumacher or Niki Lauda was to Hamilton, and not end up clueless like Alonso/Ricciardo.
libranof1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 18:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Is this the longest single contract by duration?
Definitely the longest one in recent memory. The one that comes close is Leclerc signing for five years at the end of 2019.
sravankrishnan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 20:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

The core factor in how this goes will be Red Bull's transition to in-house powertrains for the first time, on top of their renowned expertise in design & aero performance.

They've had successful customer relationships with Renault during the Vettel years & more recently with Honda, but managing a powertrain development program while actively competing at the sharp end of the sport is an entirely different dimension, even for those with decades of pedigree.

If they manage to nail it, Mercedes stay as competent as they are and Ferrari step up, we could be in for some very multi-way competitive years ahead with a selection of world-class drivers in their prime over this decade. I'd add Renault to the mix just so I can see Alonso get a tilt at another title before he retires, but that's more wishful thinking than actual hope. You never know.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd March 2022 at 20:42.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 21:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a big vote of confidence.
Agreed. Should make for some really interesting next couple of seasons. Both, the driver and the team, have the capacity to step up and continue performing their best for the next couple of years. Should give us some interesting races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The core factor in how this goes will be Red Bull's transition to in-house powertrains for the first time, on top of their renowned expertise in design & aero performance.

If they manage to nail it, Mercedes stay as competent as they are and Ferrari step up, we could be in for some very multi-way competitive years ahead with a selection of world-class drivers in their prime over this decade. I'd add Renault to the mix just so I can see Alonso get a tilt at another title before he retires, but that's more wishful thinking than actual hope. You never know.
I believe Honda is still supporting Red Bull through this year in building and maintaining the engine. Red Bull will take over completely only in 2023. Officially, they are not in F1, but technically, they still are.

Dont forget McLaren from the mix, with two talented drivers. It remains to be seen who trumps but we surely can expect some thrilling close races/seasons this decade.
ChiragM is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 21:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Dont forget McLaren from the mix, with two talented drivers. It remains to be seen who trumps but we surely can expect some thrilling close races/seasons this decade.
Not at all, was just speaking from a powertrain perspective. McLaren have had their most recent success with a Merc lump in the back, and seem to be on the way up again.

Norris & Ricciardo are arguably as good a driver pair as any of the top teams, and I have a soft spot for the papaya livery.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 15:30   #8
BHPian

With the new regulations in place, I truly do hope and pray Red Bull has delivered with if not a championship-winning but at least a championship competing car to Max. It will be interesting to see how this contract increment paves out with Checo considering the fact that if he doesn't perform this season he might be on his way out from F1.

Most Viewed