Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Fernando Alonso to join Aston Martin in 2023; Replaces Sebastian Vettel

Factors like no extended deal with Alpine, no other seats available and recent development of the AM's new facility might have made him choose AM. He could have stuck with Alpine but terms between him and Otmar was not that great, on top of no extended contract.

It hurts that a championship contender has no choices. If he had been in Ferrari or even Mercedes now, he would clinch the title with ease, no doubt. Max is good but Alonso would be better with a competitive car.

Whatever im happy to see Lewis struggling and the battle for top five finishes are entertaining. F1 is way entertaining than last year.
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:33   #17

Not sure about Piastri but seems like Riccardo will be coming back to Alpine (Renault) to take Alonso's seat. His performances with Mclaren have been disappointing apart from Monza last year.
Old 3rd August 2022, 09:28   #18

Vettel’s shock retainment and subsequent move of Fernando to AMR has indeed triggered lot of uncertainty in the F1 driver market at the movement. Alpine’s statement about their new driver and Oscar’s reaction are contradicting as well as shocking. I guess the Game of Musical Chairs in F1 has just started and would go on for some time.

Link to the relavent article:
Alpine Announcement
Oscar Piastri's Response

Snippetes from the article:

Quote:
Oscar: "I understand that, without my agreement, Alpine F1 have put out a press release late this afternoon that I am driving for them next year," he wrote.

"This is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023.

"I will not be driving for Alpine next year."

Quote:
Alpine: "Through our collaboration over the past four years, we have seen him develop and mature into a driver who is more than capable of taking the step up to Formula 1.

"As our reserve driver he has been exposed to the team at the track, factory and testing where he has shown the maturity, promise and speed to ensure his promotion to our second seat alongside Esteban. Together, we believe the duo will give us the continuity we need to achieve our long-term goal of challenging for wins and championships.”
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:04   #19
BHPian

Aston Martin has apparently hired a senior engineer from Red Bull who is going to be their technical director. Given how good the RB 18 is, Alonso's decision might not be that bad after all.
avm2407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 14:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

What a bunch of jokers Alpine management turned out to be!
Their 'star of the future' Piastri doesnt want to drive for them!

Trying to negotiate wit Alonso, imagining they have all the cards, only to lose out on both drivers! How the cookie crumbles. It is absolutely shocking how they have gone about this, if this is how they run the F1 business, its a good thing Alonso left.

Otmar Szafnauer cited how Shumi was never at his best during his comeback as a result of age, what a stupid argument, when Alonso has already displayed how quick he is.

They have brought this mess upon themselves. Aston Martin on the other hand have played this like veterans.
Stroll was the one who pushed for Vettel's extend or retire decision having spoken to Alonso much earlier.
There was a clear plan and intent. To get Alonso is a superb steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avm2407 View Post
Aston Martin has apparently hired a senior engineer from Red Bull who is going to be their technical director. Given how good the RB 18 is, Alonso's decision might not be that bad after all.
It takes time for a team to gel and climb the rung in terms of performance. They will not jump from where they are now - 9th to the top 4 next year.
To win a championship requires a step by step improvement every year.

Last edited by Hatari : 3rd August 2022 at 14:34.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 16:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
Whatever it is, it will be fun watching the veteran beat the baby Stroll on track, and I will be surprised if Stroll Jr can match Alonso's race craft.

The other Driver who has driven for all the current engine suppliers is KMAG.

Looks like super talented Fernando will end up with just 2 WDC’s . I Don’t think ASTON MARTIN can make a championship winning car in near future. Not sure whom really to blame either him or his managers, Always missed the timing to be in the right team. As a driver he is as good as Lewis, but not many championships to show his true potential.
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudra_bvrm View Post
The other Driver who has driven for all the current engine suppliers is KMAG.
Magnussen seems to have driven all PUs, except Honda. He substituted for Alonso during 2015 Australian GP, but he did not race as his engine failed on the formation lap itself.

I was referring to Alonso's experience with PU suppliers for one or more seasons as a regular driver.
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
Magnussen seems to have driven all PUs, except Honda. He substituted for Alonso during 2015 Australian GP, but he did not race as his engine failed on the formation lap itself.

I was referring to Alonso's experience with PU suppliers for one or more seasons as a regular driver.
Yes, All agreed. I was just referring KMAG as he has driven all engine suppliers on the grid.
I thought Alsono wouldn’t drive a Mercedes engine post Crashgate scandal and comments made by TOTO earlier, but good for him to drive the car running Mercedes F1 engine.
Old 3rd August 2022, 22:29   #24
BHPian

Albon, you beauty. 🤣
Attached Thumbnails
Fernando Alonso to join Aston Martin in 2023; Replaces Sebastian Vettel-screenshot_20220803195618_chrome.jpg  

Old 4th March 2023, 21:50   #25
BHPian

What a turnaround that was for Aston Martin. After all the horrible switch overs recently, seems like Alonso made the right choice for this season.
Old 4th March 2023, 22:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
It takes time for a team to gel and climb the rung in terms of performance. They will not jump from where they are now - 9th to the top 4 next year.
To win a championship requires a step by step improvement every year.
I have never been happier being wrong!

Hats off to Aston's technical team led by Dan Fallows. Much more to come I am sure!

Hope Alpine kick themselves all year.
Old 7th March 2023, 11:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hats off to Aston's technical team led by Dan Fallows. Much more to come I am sure!
The best part was deg on the Aston. Even after scrapping with HAM and SAI, ALO had tyres to creep ahead! When he was squirming around on corner exits, I thought his rears will fade away in the closing stages. Perhaps it was the hard tyre advantage. Still an amazing achievement for Aston Martin.

I really hope they don't taper off from here, though other teams will surely catch up. Just want ALO to get more podiums, so happy seeing him back on top and driving sublimely. Makes everyone wonder what could've been had he kept his temper and tantrums in check and won in 2007, 2010, 2012...
Old 7th March 2023, 14:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if there will be complaints (crying) from other teams about some hanky panky by Aston due the sudden power gains as aero packages can only do so much.

On a separate note, can you imagine Sebastian Vettel, he may be regretting his retirement decision.

Cheers
Old 7th March 2023, 15:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
The best part was deg on the Aston. Even after scrapping with HAM and SAI, ALO had tyres to creep ahead! When he was squirming around on corner exits, I thought his rears will fade away in the closing stages. Perhaps it was the hard tyre advantage. Still an amazing achievement for Aston Martin.

I really hope they don't taper off from here, though other teams will surely catch up. Just want ALO to get more podiums, so happy seeing him back on top and driving sublimely. Makes everyone wonder what could've been had he kept his temper and tantrums in check and won in 2007, 2010, 2012...
The Aston is a absolute new concept, with no 'problems' im sure they will have the most to gain while others will be focusing on problem solving (Merc/Mclaren) Although Ferrari is a much quicker car over a single lap. They will find a solution to improve their deg.

Under the cost cap, it is very difficult to make a whole new B car concept. There simply isnt enough to allocate.

Past years team could throw tens of millions just to catch up. Not anymore.

Alonso has never allowed anything outside to affect him while in the cockpit.
Now in the best head space hes been in for over a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I wonder if there will be complaints (crying) from other teams about some hanky panky by Aston due the sudden power gains as aero packages can only do so much.

On a separate note, can you imagine Sebastian Vettel, he may be regretting his retirement decision.

Cheers
Its a common & identical PU among all Mercedes powered teams, making an advantage impossible. The Aston's are slower on the straights, strength being the downforce they generate. Not related to the power deployment at all.

Dan Fallows is said to be 2nd to only Adrian Newey. Years ago when Mclaren had tried poaching him and Peter Prodromou.. they fought tooth and nail for Dan but allowed Peter to leave.
Both worked under Adrian, they knew what he was worth.

Aston also have Eric Blandin, Mercedes aero chief on board.

I wonder how Seb is feeling though. He had switched off completely, all done.

What really works in Alonso's favour is that he left the sport for a few years only to return, refreshed and knowing how much he misses it.
What has always driven him, more than probably any other F1 driver, is the need to prove to everyone that he is the best of them all. With 'only' 2 WDCs to Lewis's 7.

Doing other forms of motorsport and the pursuit of the triple crown underlines that.
Most others, just get fatigued and no longer have the spark to keep them on top.

Hulk too, looks completely refreshed and raring to go.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 16:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Under the cost cap, it is very difficult to make a whole new B car concept. There simply isnt enough to allocate.

Past years team could throw tens of millions just to catch up. Not anymore
It is difficult, but not impossible even with the cap. Teams introduce updated floor/wing updates mid-season to address issues and improve their lap time/handling significantly.

Just look at the W13 updates last year which ultimately led RUS to win at Interlagos. Their zero pod concept had caused issues with balance/tyre wake which had to be addressed to make the damn thing drivable.

Even the W14's lack of pace appeared to be a mystery (at least to people not in the team), though might be track specific. Let's wait and see what it does at the fast Jeddah Corniche circuit.

Though with the talent of ALO in a Dan Fallows car with a Mercedes engine, the AMR23 might just achieve P2. I was reading on another forum that the AMR23 is faster than the RB18, but RB19 is even faster (almost 9 tenths).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks