Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2024, 14:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

F1 owners Liberty Media in talks to purchase MotoGP from Dorna for 4 billion euros

According to reports, F1 owners Liberty Media could finalise a deal between themselves and Dorna Sports - promoter of MotoGP, WSBK and MotoE World Championships. Reports state that both Liberty Media and Dorna intend to announce the 4 billion euro deal before the third round of the 2024 MotoGP season scheduled on 12-14 April.

F1 owners Liberty Media in talks to purchase MotoGP from Dorna for 4 billion euros-motogplibertymedia.jpg

The sale of Dorna Sports has been one of the top priorities for Bridgepoint and Canadian Pension Fund (CPPIB). Dorna executives prefer bids from Liberty Media over some other conglomerates like Qatar Sovereign Wealth Fund, Qatar Sports Investment or even TKO - which owns the rights to the UFC Championship.

Liberty Media bought the rights to Formula 1 back in 2016, and since then, the motorsport has skyrocketed its way to success. The F1 owners even introduced the Netflix documentary "Drive To Survive", which further helped introduce the sport to new audiences in new markets; all while expanding its race calendar to 24 races in the 2024 season.

Liberty Media now wants to replicate the same success with MotoGP.

Source: Motorsport

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 15:52   #2
BHPian

Re: F1 owners Liberty Media in talks to purchase MotoGP from Dorna for 4 billion euros

From a fan's POV, I really hope they bring down the ridiculous Videopass subscription charges from 15.3k to 2-3k for the Indian market, which will be similar to that of F1 subscription. I will happily part with that money to get some quality content rather than watch Yamaha Aerox ads on Jio!
ds.raikkonen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 16:07   #3
BHPian

Re: F1 owners Liberty Media in talks to purchase MotoGP from Dorna for 4 billion euros

I doubt the European regulators on competition will allow this to happen. The same thing happened with another company. They were forced to sell MotoGP when they bought into F1 due to EU regulations. Somehow I feel that if Liberty media gets hold of this they will make it too commercial if you know what I mean. Right now if you look at the riders, they are so humble and polite off track but animals on track and that’s one of the main attractions for me. Liberty media will of course want to turn them into uber super stars and that’s where the diva element comes in.
Worldchamp 2019 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:03   #4
BHPian

Soon on Netflix: Ride to Survive: An Exciting Documentary on MotoGP World.

Old 2nd April 2024, 15:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Liberty Media will acquire MotoGP by the end of the year, meaning the American mass media company will own 2 of the most prestigious motorsport championships in the world by 2025.
Attached Thumbnails
F1 owners Liberty Media in talks to purchase MotoGP from Dorna for 4 billion euros-gkjifaawiaau1db.jpg  

Old 4th April 2024, 09:27   #6
BHPian

Are we going to have a motorsport calendar with one weekend it will be F1 and the next weekend it will be MotoGP? I don't we are going to see an F1 race and a MotoGP race on the same day too often.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks