Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 21:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

WDC points

All right. I've been looking around a bit and found that Force India keeps the eight points that Fisi scored but Fisichella still gets to take those eight points with him when he switches to Ferrari. This is merely of academic interest but there's a lot of possibilites that struck me when I saw this.

Consider Jenson Button. He's struggling in a Brawn that is clearly not the fastest car anymore. However, he still has more WDC points than anyone else. Technically he could move to a team that is faster than Brawn, say McLaren (yes I'm biased, so live with it!). This would benefit Button as he has a better shot at the WDC and it benefits McLaren as they get an extra championship to add to their trophy closet plus all the perks of winning like the first pit garage next year and so on. Brawn, obviously, get nothing. So why don't we see such mid season team swaps at all? Most drivers' contracts have provisions for buy outs and a team like McLaren would be happy to buy out that contract if they're getting a championship in return! What's the deal exactly?
Old 3rd September 2009, 21:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you too much time at your disposal.

The driver buy out clauses are for extreme cases. Nobody wants them to become a norm. It's not just the driver's buy out, there are other implications like sponsorship issues. For starters, the sponsors will not be happy to see this happening. Also it doesn't put the buying team in good light.
Old 4th September 2009, 05:25   #3
BHPian

LOL.

Such Unethical Practices are the Norm for F1.

This is bad for Force India as we again have no points. :(
Old 4th September 2009, 07:35   #4
BHPian

I think a driver's contract is a joke in Formula 1. If everyone can come and go anytime they want, what's the point of having a contract? Apparently, Ferrari paid $4 million to Mallya to get Fisichella which was enough for Mallya to pay off McLaren for their engine supply for the entire season.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 4th September 2009 at 07:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks