Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 21:53   #1
BANNED

Location: Gudaibiya; BAHRAIN/ Vandiperiyar; KERALA/ Wuhan; CHINA
Nelson Piquet Jr. finds a new team???

Nelson Piquet Jr. finds a new team???-nelsonpiquetjr.jpg
Manor GP, a Formula 1 newbie said that it may be interested in former Renault driver, Nelson Piquet Jr. who was ordered to crash his car at last year’s Singapore Grand Prix. John Booth, team boss told Yorkshire Post, “I’ve not spoken to him at the moment, but he’s a smashing little driver,” when asked about Piquet Jr.
“I’ve no personal problems with him, but it is unclear what his current position is with regards sponsorship,” he added. Formula 1 boss, Bernie Ecclestone recently told the Daily Express: “Piquet will get another drive. He’s a driver who does as he’s told. That’s what any team boss would want. And they don’t all do that.”
The team, that will join new teams like Lotus F1, USGPE and Manor next year, is also showing interest in other drivers like Christian Klien, Anthony Davidson and Adam Carroll. Interestingly, rumors are going on about Richard Branson’s Virgin company sponsoring Manor next season and that the new team may be renamed to Virgin F1. Virgin is currently sponsoring the championship leading Brawn team.
Old 28th September 2009, 22:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee86 View Post
he’s a smashing little driver,” when asked about Piquet Jr.
Of course he is!
Old 29th September 2009, 12:55   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Piquet Jr finds a team. Why?

1. He is slow.

2. He is a cheater.

3. He obviously cannot keep secrets within the team

I'd say his career is all but finished. The only reason a team would nominate him would be for the $$$$$ he is bringing onboard.
Old 29th September 2009, 13:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yeah and if he hadn't blabbed about crashgate, it'd only be the first point that counted against him. But on the whole, I think its better that he came clean than keep hiding a dirty little secret like that. While cheating itself is not something I can condone, it takes quite some courage to admit to have cheated too.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:36   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Yeah and if he hadn't blabbed about crashgate, it'd only be the first point that counted against him.
Is he quick? Granted, most drivers when teamed up with Alonso will end up behind. But the gap between him and Fonso was just too much!

Quote:
it takes quite some courage to admit to have cheated too.
IMHO, he only did it out of spite after Flavio axed him mid-season.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:41   #6
BHPian

I dont think so. No one would want to be associated with a cheater atleast publically. Atleast if he was quick maybe, but he is not even that.

Sponsors turn their back on Piquet Jr - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com
Old 29th September 2009, 19:23   #7
BANNED

Just a thought- Isnt there a chance that Piquet squealed about the whole thing maybe because he was assured that his future wouldnt be in any jeopardy if he came out clean??Mr. Ecclestone here says that too, that Piquet would get another drive.
Old 29th September 2009, 19:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee86 View Post
Formula 1 boss, Bernie Ecclestone recently told the Daily Express: “Piquet will get another drive. He’s a driver who does as he’s told. That’s what any team boss would want. And they don’t all do that.”
Maybe this is the reason that Manor F1 are interested in Piquet Jr.

Or this might just end up being a publicity stunt to piggyback on the latest F1 headliner.
Old 6th October 2009, 08:58   #9
BANNED

Piquet to NASCAR???

Brazil's Globo television network has reportedly said that shunned former Formula One driver Nelson Piquet Jr. will be in North Carolina on Monday, Oct. 5 to undergo a seat fitting with the Red Horse Racing team that competes in NASCAR's Camping World Truck Series. Piquet will allegedly test Red Horse's Toyota Tundra race truck on Oct. 12.
Piquet is likely to find that F1 will not welcome him back after his role in the recent scandal surrounding his deliberate crash for Renault in last year's Singapore Grand Prix. The scandal resulted in his former bosses, Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds, receiving indefinite and five-year bans, respectively, from FIA-sanctioned motorsports.
Globo also said that Piquet has set himself the target of spending one year in trucks and one year in the Nationwide Series before a move to Sprint Cup in 2012.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:06   #10
BANNED

We are forgetting one thing - he is the son of a former world champion!
Old 6th October 2009, 14:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure there are better drivers and names to spend money on during these times than a former world champion and a useless driver who cannot finish over half of his races.
Old 6th October 2009, 16:44   #12
BHPian

Nada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
We are forgetting one thing - he is the son of a former world champion!
Well that is what earned him his drive. Now that the Piquet card has been used he will have to go and race trucks in the US.

If i were running an F1 team I would hire the slowest guy in the world but not Piquet!
Old 6th October 2009, 18:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well there's two aspects to it. One, he's slow. And two, he cheated.

Personally, I think he's not as slow as F1 made him out to be. I think he was particularly unhappy at Renault which does affect a driver mentally. His record in every other racing series is fantastic. He's probably not WDC material but a decent F1 driver is easily in his potential. Heck, he may even be among the best if he gets in the right environment.

As for the cheating, I'm personally inclined to forgive and forget. He's not the first cheat in F1 and certainly not the last. And contrary to public opinion, his crime wasn't as bad as it is made out to be. Fixing a race is bad, but then again, given F1's cut throat environment, I think its merely the first time that someone's been caught and not necessarily the first time its happened. Although its not confirmed, its not hard to imagine him cracking under the pressure Flavio must have put him under and agree to crash in the first place.

But then, sponsors are the main issue. They won't want him, and there goes his career.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Personally, I think he's not as slow as F1 made him out to be. I think he was particularly unhappy at Renault which does affect a driver mentally. His record in every other racing series is fantastic. He's probably not WDC material but a decent F1 driver is easily in his potential. Heck, he may even be among the best if he gets in the right environment.

As for the cheating, I'm personally inclined to forgive and forget. He's not the first cheat in F1 and certainly not the last. And contrary to public opinion, his crime wasn't as bad as it is made out to be. Fixing a race is bad, but then again, given F1's cut throat environment, I think its merely the first time that someone's been caught and not necessarily the first time its happened. Although its not confirmed, its not hard to imagine him cracking under the pressure Flavio must have put him under and agree to crash in the first place.

But then, sponsors are the main issue. They won't want him, and there goes his career.
+1! Rightly said! If he was atleast a WDC material the sponsors would be ready to invest him! Otherwise, I see no future for this man.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1
Being slow is relative. It is no secret that Renault was Alonso's team. So comparing Piquet may not give the exact picture of his speed. But he makes too many mistakes to be considered a good driver.

Secondly, he has cheated yes, but then so did Alonso. If nobody has any problem with Alonso who was involved in spying technical data from a rival team, why should Piquet be any different?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks