Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:15   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For sure, the FIA will cut out something lucrative for Bridgestone. If Bridgestone still chooses to exit, Michelin will be only too happy to fill in. C'mon, having the entire F1 grid running on your tyres is superb marketing (especially for those brands with performance rubber). On the other hand, if a first-time tyre supplier steps in, I have my doubts on their ability to match Bridgestone's 12 years of F1 tyre making experience.

How I miss the days of the tyre wars : Half the teams on Bridgestone and the other half on Michelins. Hot days = Michelins ruled!
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:26   #17
BANNED

I fully endorse GTO. We need two manufacturers in a free for all. remember when all Bridgestone shod cars cried off in the US GP since their tyres could not cope. Cutting so close to the edge in my view was not fair in the first place3.

How about Michelin & Pirelli. I will love that.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

F1 is getting crazier by the day. Good Year gone, Michelin gone and now Bridgestone. But there is a whole season remaining and there will definately be negotiations to extend contracts. Michelin coming back would be a good thing . What about Firestone? Dont they supply to Indy Car racing?
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:44   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The companies with prior experience AND financial might to supply F1 tyres in the current time frame were Goodyear, Bridgestone and Michelin. With Bridgestone gone from 2010, its anyone's guess which of the other 2 may even contemplate a comeback.

If I remember right, Yokohama have never been in the F1 space since the last 5 decades. I would be genuinely surprised if they came now on the back of a recession.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:56   #20
BHPian

exactly.

on the back of recession - i guess it is the same reason why goodyear and michelin might not want to make a comeback.

my guess is that it might be some other company out of the blue, something similar to a cosworth in the engine space - an FIA fed agency.

maybe something similar to Avon tyres supplying to Formula 2.

Last edited by pb10gagan : 3rd November 2009 at 12:00.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:10   #21
BHPian

Its a well known fact that Michelin quit F1 due to the mess created in 2006 USGP when they were unable to supply tires safe enough for the race, especially after Ralf Schumacher’s crash in practice. It had caused them a lot of embarrassment to them. But if Bridgestone decide to walk out Michelin are the only worthy options. Off course there are other players who are suppliers for other forms of racing. But it can be very unreliable and unsafe to source tires from a supplier who has not worked for F1 before or has been away from F1 for pretty long time. In my opinion F1 needs the most amount of R&D, after all it’s a completely different ball game (rather a different car game... )
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Its quite a tricky thing or I might say its even worse to lose Bridgestone from F1.

Its requires lot of R&D and time to manufacture the tyres for the F1 cars. For a new vendor to come in and supply tyres is going to be quite tricky and would absolutely need the new vendor to pull in lot of money and efforts. I am not sure if there is any tyre manufacturer who would be able to match the demand of an F1 tyre. Michelin might possibly give a come back. But Michelin left F1 with sour feelings, so its still a big question mark.

On top of all this, the characteristics of the tyre is going to change and it will make it bloody complicated for the teams developing their cars since the tyres are critical component in the performance of a car and it would also impact the driving style of many drivers.

Its a complicated thing really, lets see how it goes! I hope Bernie gives up his greedy attitude and lets Bridgestone stay in the game!

Last edited by anachronix : 3rd November 2009 at 13:38.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:22   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution_VIII View Post
Its a well known fact that Michelin quit F1 due to the mess created in 2006 USGP when they were unable to supply tires safe enough for the race,
Just checked it was the 2005 USGP according to Wiki. Also, sorry for mixing up the brands and blaming Bridgestone instead in my post.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution_VIII View Post
Its a well known fact that Michelin quit F1 due to the mess created in 2006 USGP when they were unable to supply tires safe enough for the race, especially after Ralf Schumacher’s crash in practice.
No. Michelin quit because the FIA was imposing a single-tyre-manufacturer rule and Michelin didn't want to be in the sport without any competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For sure, the FIA will cut out something lucrative for Bridgestone. If Bridgestone still chooses to exit, Michelin will be only too happy to fill in.
Read above. Michelin will not be keen to be F1's sole tyre supplier. It's either Bridgestone or one of the other large manufacturers like Goodyear, Pirelli, etc.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
No. Michelin quit because the FIA was imposing a single-tyre-manufacturer rule and Michelin didn't want to be in the sport without any competition.
Nop

There was a single tyre for a race rule/regulation imposed by FIA for the 2005 season. Michelin & Bridgestone big money on the R&D to make tyres to last a full race. Michelin came out better than the Bridgestone and they ruled the 2005 season.

FIA decided to roll back this from 2006 which obviously meant a huge loss for both vendors and Michelin did lose much more than Bridgestone and decided to quit F1 by the end of 2006. And then came the single tyre supplier rule for 2007
Old 5th November 2009, 02:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

How about Michelin & Pirelli. I will love that.
Pirelli made it official that they are seriously not considering F1

Formula One news: Pirelli not interested in F1 - GPUpdate.net Formula One

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks