Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Who do you think has better driving skills ?
World Rally Championship drivers 109 67.70%
Formula 1 drivers 16 9.94%
They're both equal 36 22.36%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2006, 13:33   #46
BHPian

F1 it is.... and it's not as simple as it sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideffect
My Vote is for WRC.

F-1 is maneuvering the high end machine at high speeds on a well laid track.WRC is maneuvering the normal car enabled with rally sport kits at variable speeds on a tough/rough terrain.
I am surprised at the responses here so far. Well, it does sound very simple that F1 drivers have to drive on a paved track and WRC has a multitude of terrains. But aren't we missing something very important here ? F1 drivers drive on a knife-edge... the amount of G forces they experience is no lesser than the bangings that a WRC driver gets. Infact F1 needs extreme levels of concentration and focus to keep the car on the track. I have heard that a F1 driver looses around 3 to 4 kilos in an hour.... that says a lot about the stress they are under physically and mentally....

that said, I do agree that the un-expected surprises are predominant in WRC (which I am great fan of... but F1 rules), but in F1 you wouldn't even have time to brake when you see the car in front of you has a problem. How many times have we seen F1 cars being hit by someone whose car failed ?

IMHO F1 drivers need much more skills than WRC drivers.... (Now, let me get ready for the brickbats )

Old 2nd January 2006, 19:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

i like both. BUT, i would pick WRC over F1 anyday- and not the new WRC's, no; i liked the WRC's of yore, when one used to drive the living daylights out of a lancia stratos at 300 kmph amidst screaming exhausts, on roads that would make the raid de' himalayans tremble ....

but even now, the WRC is my favourite; love F1 too, but not as much as WRC; my list goes thus-
1) WRC
2) F1
3) paris-dakar
4) daytona series (nascar) ....
Old 4th January 2006, 17:33   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
but even now, the WRC is my favourite; love F1 too, but not as much as WRC; my list goes thus-
1) WRC
2) F1
3) paris-dakar
4) daytona series (nascar) ....
I am a lil surprised that you put Nascar in there as its nothing more than oval racing of i am not mistaken. I would rate Champ cars over Nascar, as they not only have to compete on ovals but also on circuits.
Old 7th January 2006, 23:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

@RacingForIndia: i put in Nascar, only because of those fantastic machines; nothing else. there's nothing "stock" in those nascar "stock" cars- just love those 900 bhp, 9000 r.p.m screaming machines....
Old 8th January 2006, 16:21   #50
BHPian

wel i vote WRC...they just rock...am a great fan of F1 too..but it comes second,...agree they undergo lot of stress in a F1 car....but nowadays looks like the F1 drivers hrdly drive...the electronics in the car literally takes care of almost everythin....doesnt mean anyone can drive although..nd when it comes to WRC....its pure drivin skills...just love it...

Last edited by angelfire : 8th January 2006 at 16:24.
Old 8th January 2006, 23:23   #51
BHPian

I voted for WRC drivers. I still wonder how these people drive man?
Old 9th January 2006, 13:58   #52

[SIZE=2]Lets get this straight. F1 guys will be knowing the tracks and would have done test laps which would boost up their confidence. But in WRC the driver depends on the Navigator and he on the map. So its more of a synchronized driving rather than have to know the Track. And then there are these additions to WRC tracks every year (well almost). The WRC's main aim is to take the driving skill out of the driver but F1 is like getting the most out of the machine as most of the drivers are equally good and given good cars to al only then does the drivers skill really comes out. Hope everyone's got it. As long as Shumi drives ferrari he might be good, give him a Jordan:::: Only god save him..................[/SIZE]
Old 9th January 2006, 14:30   #53
BHPian

No doubt I voted for the WRC drivers..the way they do the HB turns, the pendulums, going sideways and those fly's..wow its just amazing, its like floating the car saying "Sky up above and Earth down below"...the insane speeds at which they judge and calculate the bends and turns with a very less room for error is a visual treat for me...its WRC anyday.
Old 8th March 2006, 17:28   #54
BHPian

let me also contribute to the retro week. this is not an age old thread, but i am perturbed by the overwhelming majority voting for wrc.

would like to see the poll outcome after another round.
Old 8th March 2006, 18:05   #55
Senior - BHPian

The thing is both sports require equal level of skills. WRC looks more dramatic compared to F1. But at the end of the day both have to give their very very best.

F1 drivers are generally required to have more technical skills.
While WRC drivers require more daring attitude.
Old 9th March 2006, 06:53   #56
BHPian

I think both are equal. Both of them are competitive sports in their own way with a lot of Fans in their own right.

I don't think I can choose between the two cause I like anything as long as it contains cars in any shape or size...
Old 9th March 2006, 09:36   #57
BHPian

I've seen a video of Colin Mc Rae negotiate Silverstone with much ease...But to do a hairpin on a mountain route with nothing but your co-driver shouting instructions in your ears at those speeds is something that requires a lotta skill....This does'nt undermine the fact that F1 drivers also need a lot of skill to achieve what they do on track, but since the poll is about better of the two i think the WRC guys take the cake.

Old 22nd April 2006, 01:39   #58
BHPian

In WRC there's so much drifting.
I love it. Although in terms of technology F1 is better.
Old 23rd April 2006, 21:43   #59
BHPian

what ever you guys say its WRC for me, loeb is dominating right now but colin McRae is the best legends never die

Last edited by chetan : 23rd April 2006 at 21:46.
Old 26th April 2006, 08:57   #60
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

I've read all the posts and this is wht i can say. According to me, WRC requires a lot more talent than F1. sure, F1 drivers have harsher physical conditions, but that doesnt make em more talented. also, in F1, the drivers have to grip the steering wheel tightly at all times so that their cars go straight. but in WRC, thanx to the conditions, the car never goes straight, even if the driver is wrenching the steering wheel!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks