Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 04:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mudtrack Racing

I was chilling out at Panama City beach on Saturday and on my return drive, which was kinda boring I suddenly saw a signboard. it said
" MUDTRACK RACING -TONIGHT ---> "
..That got me curious and quite immediately I took this turn into a single lane village road.It totally lonely and scary at night with all the run down houses which make a perfect setting for a horror movie. I saw no more sign boards and even thought for a while that the sign was a figment of my imagination. not a soul in sight to check with. and then, finally i find 2 blokes hammering away on a piece of junk and they gave me the directions which went like this " drive south on this road and you'll find 2 house to your left, go in between them and you'll reach the venue behind a log chipping unit". Only then I reassured myself that the event did really exist .
I only understood the 'go south" bit and drove around..i saw a direction sign and turned into that road.miles and miles and no sight or sound of V8's anywhere. I then returned to the spot where I saw the 2nd sign and looked around..aah..i see floodlights..but how do I go there? it was a road fit for OTR's. I had to make my own way. seriously. I'm surprised my camry got through albeit slipping and sliding. still driving only on instincts I finally saw people in Hi Visibility shirts. I has finally found the spot !! mine was the only sedan there !!

Mudtrack Racing-img_4444.jpg

only trucks go up there and everybody was staring at me. They'd never seen an Indian face ever in their life. nor had they seen somebody drive up to this place in a Sedan !!

Mudtrack Racing-img_4445.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4446.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4447.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4448.jpg

so, what was really happening out there? well, this is a Typical Redneck area and rednecks do what they can with the agricultural stuff they have. what do they have in abundance? trucks.. and what they don't have in abundance is money to buy themselves a sportscar. so what do they do? they quench their thirst for speed by modding their trucks and then racing them in mud tracks.
what kinda track race is this ? well, it's a 1/8th mile drag race on a muddy slushy track. thats it. no more non sense. no rules on engine mods, no rules on weight, no rules on fuel. just pure speed however you can get out of your trucks. and this is what happens there.

Mudtrack Racing-img_4452.jpg
Old 12th July 2010, 06:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

With Tundras & Rams dominating, I'm sure the sedan would've looked pure joke to them. I hope the white Corolla was yours. You said the sign board carried "Mudtrack racing tonight" but the pics seems to be shot during the day? Was that the 7/8 PM sunlight? And where was this location?
Old 12th July 2010, 06:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
With Tundras & Rams dominating, I'm sure the sedan would've looked pure joke to them. I hope the white Corolla was yours. You said the sign board carried "Mudtrack racing tonight" but the pics seems to be shot during the day? Was that the 7/8 PM sunlight? And where was this location?
corolla? mate thats a 2000 camry. a V6 at that.
eventually there was another Sedan there (you can see it in the 3rd pic in a corner) but that was a Cop's car. no no he did not come to race.
it indeed was at 7.30 pm. there is daylight till about 8.15 pm everyday. add to the fact I used ISO setting to compensate for lack of light too.
this place was in between Eufaula,AL and Dothan,AL.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 12th July 2010 at 06:49.
Old 12th July 2010, 06:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about your car, didn't bother to read the model & Thanks for the correction. Pls add more pics, waiting to see.
Old 15th July 2010, 08:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

more pix from the event

Mudtrack Racing-img_4450.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4451.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4453.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4454.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4457.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4461.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4463.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4464.jpg

Mudtrack Racing-img_4466.jpg