Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2005, 13:40   #1
BHPian

Raikkonen crowned best driver of the year

Kimi Raikkonen was crowned International Racing Driver of the Year ahead of Fernando Alonso at last night's prestigious Autosport Awards, which is voted for by readers of the magazine.

The Finn attended the event in London to collect the trophy, which was presented by former World Champion Nigel Mansell.

On receiving his award, Kimi discussed his highlights of the year,"I guess all the wins for sure. The Japanese Grand Prix was one of the great moments, and Monaco was a good place to win. It could have been better this season but I am happy. It is always exciting to fight, and of course we wanted to win, but that is part of the game - and still it was one of the best years for me in Formula One.

McLaren Mercedes also won the Racing Car of the Year with the MP4-20.

Ron Dennis collected the award on behalf of the team,[COLOR=navy] "I'm a bit mystified why I'm up here because there are so many people behind this Grand Prix car. It doesn't matter whether it is rallying or Grand Prix racing - it is hard to win.

"McLaren Racing has a team of 136 engineers and designers and they designed the car using a matrix system with cross functional responsibilities. All of this talent is what goes on behind us and I'm here to take the award for them. One person I have to acknowledge is Adrian Newey, who has got a challenge ahead of him and I wish him well."

"This season was a great battle and I have to complement Pat Symonds and Renault, who started the season very well by winning the first three races and the last."

Source: Racing-Live.com/F1-Live.com

Last edited by IndianDawg : 6th December 2005 at 13:42.
Old 6th December 2005, 13:46   #2
BHPian

ya, he deserves it. if you look at the last season, insipite of several let downs because of equipment, he kept his cool and came back stronger race after race. i feel he is much better than the rest of the pack except schumi.
Old 6th December 2005, 16:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna
ya, he deserves it. if you look at the last season, insipite of several let downs because of equipment, he kept his cool and came back stronger race after race. i feel he is much better than the rest of the pack except schumi.
Hes my fav F1 driver before i use to hate mclaren but this driver proved mclaren is the best when it comes to engine.
Old 31st December 2005, 12:59   #4
BHPian

Its a pity he won it, because I think Alonso was clearly better than anyone on the field. Heck Alomso won the WDC so that should settle it ...
This is british media at its best, had Alonso been with McLaren they would have glorified him to no extent. Kimi is good, and in my opinion he is the fastest out there, but Alonso is fast and can take care of his machine (IMOLA was a good example). Alonsos speed was evident in the Japanese and Chinese GP. His charge from the back with Kimi in Japan was one of the best I have ever seen in F1, that was an amazing race wasent it?
Old 31st December 2005, 23:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

It just had to be Kimi. Only if McLaren were good enough this year in terms of reliability, Alonso would have had a real tight chase of winning..
Old 1st January 2006, 13:34   #6
BHPian

Kimi deserves this, and the championship. Just that he was unlucky this year. Not to regret that Alonso is a very good driver, but the McLaren-Kimi combi jus makes it better. Newayz, 2007 shud be awesome, with Alonso coming over to McLaren, wish Kimi stays here and does'nt move to Ferrari.
Old 4th January 2006, 17:30   #7
BHPian

If speed were the only criteria then Alonso has proved what he is made up of during the Japanese and Chinese GP. Heck this guy overtook Panis during his debu year at Mindari at the Japanese Gp. Now how many people can match that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks