Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 20:35   #1
BHPian

Yes - I made it to the club!!

Hello,

Finally made it to the club, thanks admins for granting me this privilege.

I have been following Team-BHP for quite sometime now and made few attempts to join and my requests were rejected due to the rules. Well, to be honest I felt bad & disgusted at that moment, but now I accept this policy as a "required" rule to maintain the quality. Well, I am too enthused to be here and not able to describe it in words.

Currently, I am living with my family at Bangalore near Marathahalli & working with an MNC as a technology consultant. Born and bought up in Kerala; lived there for the first 21 years of my life & then moved to Mumbai for finding the means of life. Moved to Bangalore 6 years back (landed here on 1st July 2005 to be precise) as it is closer to my hometown.

From a vehicles perspective, I love them a lot and an enthusiast (the very reason why I am here) and does the test drive of almost all cars (except the big names like a Merc/ BMW etc. etc.) as and when they are available. Contrary to this, I have bought all the vehicles I own without a test drive, quite interesting !!!. I am not a professional tech buff on vehicles - can drive and like to read on it a lot.

My vehicles.
My first vehicle - LML Vespa in 1995 - got it 22 days before I was legally permitted to drive - obviously my father's present. Not my choice of like, I wanted Yamaha RX 100, but father insisted no bike. My cousin was working with Vespa showroom then, and he brokered the deal between me and father. I also settled down thinking, something is better than nothing !!!

Second vehicle - the first one I bought - my Bajaj Discover - in 2005 just a month after I landed in Bangalore. I was on the way to buy Honda Unicorn and then while I was in the Domlur signal, I changed my decision to buy Discover and changed the direction. Motive behing buying this vehicle just because Discover had trip meter and Unicorn did'nt !!! I am too satisfied with this buy.

Third vehicle - Tata Indica Xeta - 2006 Dec. This was a gift to my parents when they were finding it more and more difficult to move around in bus. My parents don't drive and the usage is very limited (clocked less than 20,000 km till date), so it is a very good decision. Motive behind buying this vehicle - money, money & money. I was finding it difficult to choose between Wagon R and Santro and was caught in a dilemma and was tosing to chose between these. Suddenly Xeta cropped in and took the decision hastily based on my friend's word. But to be honest, I don't regret and am too happy.

Fourth vehicle - Hyundai Accent Executive in 2010 (2009 model) - a second hand one - which was actually a car lease takeover when one of my colleagues left the organisation. Motive behind this buy - again money. I just paid 50,000/- and drove the vehicle home. Rest goes from my salary as it is in car lease policy. I hated Hyundai vehicles, so bought this with half love, but this proved to be a good buy. Too happy with the comfort I am getting. Yes, it is less on equipment list, not that speedy & tourquy, but still good for a sedate driver like me. But, to add to this, not too happy with the mileage I get - 9.53kmpl.

All of these vehicles are in good condition, but planning to donate my Vespa to the "doodhwala" at my hometown. I cannot sell this one, it is just that dearer to my heart. Since there is no one at my home who can even start it, is creating issues and I cannot withstand seeing it getting rusted.

Sorry for such a big post, but again this is purely due to the enthusiasm. Edited this 'n' times before I finally posted !!!
Old 6th June 2011, 22:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yes - I made it to the club!!

welcome Jakku!!

nice writeup.

looks like you never had any ownership issues with your vehicles, may be because of careful driving.

any ways welcome again & enjoy the forum.

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 7th June 2011, 09:54   #3
BHPian

A BIG Welcome Jakku.
Loved your detailed writeup about your vehicles.

Welcome and Enjoy here.

regards,
salil
Old 8th June 2011, 00:15   #4
BHPian

Welcome aboard! If i were to steal from your garage it would be the LML vespa any day One smoking scooter in those days!

donate to doodh whalla? I can do doodh wallah

Last edited by YaeJay : 8th June 2011 at 00:17.
Old 8th June 2011, 23:32   #5
BHPian

Thanks Jeepster, scphanse & YaeJay for the warm welcome.

Quote:
looks like you never had any ownership issues with your vehicles, may be because of careful driving.
Yes, I had issues with my Indica, (a big story) where the great service engineers when replacing the all the oils as a part of the 10,000 km service, damaged my entire braking system where they used engine oil in place of break oil. That was back in 2008 and in between my marriage time (just took the vehicle back from service the day before my marriage).

Since the time I was out of the service center with the engineer from the SC, I was feeling the issue of braking and got it re-checked with the SC guys. They took the vehicle on ramp and did a lot of checking, cleaned the discs and all, but I was not all that happy with the braking. I could not understand the issue properly and this issue got dissolved in between the "hulla-bulla" of marriage. Two days later, I was coming home from my wife's place and in between there is a small ghat section (not a perfect ghat, but still it is one). I was climbing down this ghat section. I could see a long queue of vehicles near a narrow bridge (this is a common spot of jam & I knew that) and I was dead slow. Even then the car did'nt stop on time and just kissed a truck which was stuck in a traffic jam.

This was not a major incident, but I returned to the SC where they again checked and reconfirmed nothing wrong, but asked me to leave the vehicle back there for detailed analysis. I did so and after sometime got a call from them telling that the master cylinder was damaged and that was the reason for the issue I was facing. There was an enormous cost involved and since there was no issue with braking system before I gave to service, I took the vehicle to an outside workshop. Now this workshop is owned and operated by a previous service manager of another Tata dealership. This guy checked and told me the root cause of the issue is this change in the oil. I took the vehicle back to the SC and had a very heated argument with them. Nothing helped me and I had no time to spend with them due to the occasion of marriage.

This had big impact in my mindset and now I am not considering any Tata vehicle as I am skeptical about their capability to service the vehicles they manufacture. Even though I really love Tata vehicles, the service component needs to improve and without this re-assurance, one will not park their hard earned money in Tata vehicles like Aria. Tata should really do something to inspire that confidence in it's customers that they are capable of maintaining their vehicles.

A friend of mine was looking for an Aria and this incident prompted him to change his mind in favour Fortuner. Even today he tells that he feels very sad whenever he passes by an Aria (though a very few in number). I am sure with a product like Aria, the Tata guys will not mess, but not getting that confidence to park 20L + without a second thought, but, the million dollar question - I advocate for the cause of Tata cars, but can I do it with trust that the customers will not be taken for a ride? Sincerely I cannot.

Quote:
Welcome aboard! If i were to steal from your garage it would be the LML vespa any day One smoking scooter in those days! donate to doodh whalla? I can do doodh wallah
Ha ha, I liked the comment. Yeah it is indeed a great scooter. Have gone to a lot of places with it and had never let me down even in the form of a puncture (I don't mean to say there were no punctures at all, but I was never stuck away from my place).

Had my share of small small accidents which were actually learning lessons for me (I learned to drive a scooter in it). Oh those days !! it is a nostalgic feeling. Telling lies to parents and going places with friends, then getting caught red handed etc. etc. When I was with my mother last week back in Kerala, she was telling one such story.
Old 9th June 2011, 01:42   #6
BHPian

Hey Jakku Welcome abroad! Very nice write up indeed, keep up the post coming.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks