Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 21:40   #1

Lucky Me and Lenient Mods!

Hello everyone!!

I was going through some of the introduction threads before I submitted my first attempt at being a member 2 days ago while already planning what I should conjure for the write ups in the following attempts. I actually thought the mail from t-bhp that arrived today to be some practical joke!

I am Rahul De, and I was born in Calcutta the year Bobby McFerrin told the world 'Don't Worry, Be Happy'. 18 winters later, I passed out of Hare School; attended Presidency College, Calcutta for next 3 years, Forest Research Institute, Dehradun for another 2 and have been chasing tigers and elephants ever since (about 10 months!).

I was about 3 or 4 years of age when I first owned a customized cabin and instrument cluster. The setup was complete with a large sieve for the steering, an wooden pole as the shift stick complete with a tennis ball gear knob, three rubber slippers lying facedown as pedals and an alarm clock as my speedo(meter!). When asked, I didn't blink before asserting that I aspired to be a truck driver! The spirit slowly died down with lack of availability of something that needed fuel to run. I learned to drive at a driving school that aimed only at releasing the clutch in first gear, took a test in PVD and managed a license (somehow) without bribing the instructor (don't know if the trainer did!).

More recently, my heart used to start pumping hard at the sound of ignition of a white BMW 650i convertible that sometimes visited our neighbourhood. I drooled, too, at the occasional sight of an Audi R8 (the street version) that used to be parked in front of the same house. Meanwhile, my dad (I don't earn much yet; no greener pastures in proximity too) decided to buy a budget car for which I began googling and ultimately stumbled upon t-bhp in mid 2011. The posts and some test rides (I was not at all confident about driving back then) swung the decision in favour of i10 instead of a chevvy beat. After the delivery, I turned to a reputed instructor for help and clocked 250 km over the next 14 days. By this time, I was a confident driver who rode the clutch only in bumper to bumper traffic. I am still in the process of overcoming the folly!! I have turned to t-bhp for every tidbits on maintaining a car as well as the FE driving techniques ever since I knew about it.

Regards,
RD

DISCLAIMER: Extreme perseverance and focus required to go through this introductory post. The author does not take any responsibility of time wasted on it.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th June 2012 at 23:37. Reason: grammar fix
rahulde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 22:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lucky Me and Lenient Mods!

Wow !! A nice write-up. Welcome to the Forum.

Do read through these threads which give you an idea of the basic dos and donts.

Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Announcements
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 22:38   #3
BHPian

Nicely jotted down. Welcome to the nirvanic epitome!
Another Kolkata member added to Team BHP's kitty.

Enjoy your stay. :-)
SupratikDebnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 22:41   #4

Thanks a lot scorpiobharath sir. I'll keep the page bookmarked. I guess there is an edit post option for 30 minutes which I'd like to use to rectify a grammatical mistake. It'll be great if someone helps me with changing 'a alarm clock' into 'an alarm clock'. I'm yet to get my bearings right!

Regards,
RD
Old 7th June 2012, 23:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulde View Post
Hello everyone!!… DISCLAIMER: Extreme perseverance and focus required to go through this introductory post. The author does not take any responsibility of time wasted on it.
Welcome aboard and wish you a happy stay & journey ahead with Team-BHP
mustysekhon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 23:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

WElcome, Rahul.
Intrigued by what did the FRI do to you .. how come you are now chasing the tigers ? I dont think it is IFS, is it ?

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: Extreme perseverance and focus required to go through this introductory post. The author does not take any responsibility of time wasted on it.
DISCLAIMER: You ain't seen nothing yet ! Wait till you run into the threads .. They can cause you to end up in knots !

Well, kidding.
Hope you enjoy your journey here. And do share the pics of the "work" - if you do that ! I guess you'd actually be enjoying yourself out there in the wild.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 23:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Intrigued by what did the FRI do to you .. how come you are now chasing the tigers ? I dont think it is IFS, is it ?
Thanks condorji!

Well, I did MSc from FRI..and now registered as a scholar in Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun! It is fun, more so when you have a decent camera! I have to wait 6 months or so before I can lay my hands on one..
Old 7th June 2012, 23:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to Team-BHP!

Quote:
Forest Research Institute, Dehradun for another 2 and have been chasing tigers and elephants ever since (about 10 months!).
This was the job I was dreaming about until I discovered programming in the late 80s.

Quote:
Thanks a lot scorpiobharath sir. I'll keep the page bookmarked. I guess there is an edit post option for 30 minutes which I'd like to use to rectify a grammatical mistake. It'll be great if someone helps me with changing 'a alarm clock' into 'an alarm clock'. I'm yet to get my bearings right!
And what about misspelling his handle?
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 00:02   #9

@ Samurai sir

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Discovering my (in)abilities in maths helped in shunning engineering. I'll surely miss the package though!

My bad! I've to look harder in future.

Regards,
RD
Old 8th June 2012, 00:34   #10
BHPian

Hi RD. Welcome to the forum. Good to see a new member from Calcutta. Do share your experiences in the wild.
Old 8th June 2012, 09:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey!!
Welcome on board.
FRI, eh?
That place is amazing, must have been awesome fun, no.

btw,Going by your first "car", weren't you told you should become an Auto engineer?
Old 8th June 2012, 11:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Rahul,

Welcome aboard! You seem to be stunned at getting through at your first attempt. Well, don't be- everyone who makes a sincere attempt at registration DOES get through - it has nothing to with mods' leniency as you put it!

Am sure you will have some interesting experiences to narrate in your line of work, so look forward to seeing threads and posts from you.

Cheers
Noops
Old 8th June 2012, 11:28   #13
BHPian

Hi Rahul,

welcome aboard. Nice stated.

Team-bhp is the place where the petrol head dreams incubate. Money comes with age, but the ability for tasteful and utilitarian spend comes from learning and experience. In time your learning and resources will increase enabling you to start realising your dreams of buying vehicles of your choice. Your Team-bhp experience will ensure that you are always spot on in your choice of Ride!

Love your job. Must be great to work with nature and away from the smogged traffic of cities!

Enjoy your i10.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks