Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 18:54   #1

Greetings from a neophyte

Greetings to all you auto enthusiasts!

Though forum rules do not dictate that an introduction has to be written (yes, moderators, I diligently went through all of them) I still thought I should pen a few paragraphs. Who doesn’t love talking about themselves, eh?

I am a nomad by heart (a bird of passage, if you will) and I love travelling. I enjoy reading the travelogues here and ogling at the attached pictures. I am a bookworm and am mortally afraid of running out of good books to read, especially ones by P.G. Wodehouse. My love for books and stories got me through 5 years of studying English literature. A year of B. Ed later, I entered the field of corporate education. Besides this, I have a degree in disorganization, stupid questions, and procrastination (A female version of Hamlet of sorts).

As far as cars and all are concerned, they are an acquired passion. Words such as detailing, torque, BHP, ABS and whatnot belonged to a foreign land that didn’t even show up on my map. It started off as a ploy to impress my fiancé. Initially, I felt as somebody feels when they get invited to a party where they don’t know anyone and just stand there feeling like a five-legged two-tailed pony. With more and more visits to the forum, my interest grew and I realised there might be an auto enthusiast hidden in me somewhere waiting to be unleashed. Has Team-BHP had this effect on anyone else?

Off I sent my membership request form and by the divine grace of God and the moderators, it was accepted. So, here I am, fresh and cheery, ready to learn so much more from all you car pundits.

Now, my quest to learn how to drive a car has been going on for what seems like ages. I would love to learn how to drive one of these things. Ah! to stash my bags in the back, feel the wind in my hair as I drive to some unknown exotic location, drum my fingers on the steering wheel to some tune playing in my darling Neil (an Oceanic Blue Fiat Grande Punto), to give my fiancé a break and drive him around (instead of up the wall ) occasionally, though not being behind the wheel makes him feel like a fish out of water. All this would be possible if only the covert collective community of cars (It exists. I tell you it exists) had not conspired against me. I shall not lose hope though and Mission Mobility shall continue.

I sign off by wishing all of you a very happy and prosperous new year. May all your troubles last as long as your new year resolutions!

My Neil

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th January 2014 at 15:13. Reason: Hotlinking the smaller version of the picture ;)
Bhavi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 00:01   #2
BANNED

Re: Greetings from a neophyte

Welcome to the forum

Interesting read. Especially the thought that we might have instilled in you a certain affection towards the automobile. Also nice to once in a while see a woman get taken over by the charm of a car.

Good to know that we will have another contributor to our already vast collection on travelogues.

Do tell us that you actually are learning how to drive and it isn't just a pipe dream. When I teach some of my friends how to drive, I always make them slot the gear into first, release the clutch without the accelerator and roll, then stop and start over again. I tell them to keep doing this till I feel that they have mastered the action because everything else from the turning of the steering wheel to point the car in the right direction, to pressing down with your right foot to accelerate and your left to brake, seems very intuitive. It is only shifting gears and using the clutch that doesn't seem normal so once you make it sort of like a muscle memory, you stall less often and as a learner, that boosts your confidence and encourages you to drive and keep learning especially because it starts seeming natural and not like a task that requires all you have to give. Hope that made sense.

Cheers and good luck!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 10th January 2014 at 00:03.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 07:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavi View Post
I am a bookworm and am mortally afraid of running out of good books to read, especially ones by P.G. Wodehouse. long as your new year resolutions! My Neil

Welcome! A really happy post to enliven the morning I must say.
Glad to see another fellow book and travel aficionado and PGW Fan here.
Wishing you the best ahead.
Cheerio
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 08:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Bhavi. Great to see your intro here, now that you have made it past that grammatical error.
roy_libran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 09:27   #5
BHPian

Welcome & I must concede - that is some lively write-up to start my day. Wish you engrossing times on this coveted forum ahead. Please do contribute to the existing travelogues, I would love to read you again.
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 12:58   #6
BHPian

A few weeks ago I was a reading a post "My girlfriend doesn't know I am here" and here I am, welcoming my fiancée to the forum. Welcome Bhavi!

Now, you can enjoy reading the travelogues without the irritating ads popping up on screen. Moreover, you will have to write all future travelogues. I am going to concentrate only on Crusoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Welcome Bhavi. Great to see your intro here, now that you have made it past that grammatical error.
You want me dead, don't you?
Biraj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 19:40   #7

It is the work of Satan, I tell you. No less than the cloven-hoofed, horned devil with the pitchfork himself. Just when I thought I had the leisure to be active on Team-BHP, a wave of work sweeps over me leaving me gasping for breath. It was like someone had put my life in a blender and hit the whip button. But all this while, the streaks of sunlight visible at the surface enticed me and gave me hope that one day, I too would be able to resurge and write some more. And voila, here I am waxing poetic, delayed and apologetic. Late though I am, I want to thank those who took out time to read my post. I would also like to thank everyone profusely for their wishes and kind words of appreciation and encouragement. It reminded me of how much I enjoyed writing at one point before the routine of corporate life took over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Welcome to the forum

When I teach some of my friends how to drive, I always make them slot the gear into first, release the clutch without the accelerator and roll, then stop and start over again... you have to give. Hope that made sense.

Cheers and good luck!
Thank you for this sound advice. I have been learning how to drive for quite some time. But I never could muster the courage to take Neil out for a spin alone. There always has to be someone sitting next to me. So, your words make a lot of sense because heavy traffic and heavy vehicles scare the daylights out of me. Please keep the good advice coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Welcome! A really happy post to enliven the morning I must say.
Glad to see another fellow book and travel aficionado and PGW Fan here.
Wishing you the best ahead.
Cheerio
Thank you shankar.balan. I am of the school that believes that PGW has fans even on Mars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thank you roy_libran! I see that you have noticed the grammar geek in me. I did, indeed, make it past that. Took time and a lot of effort but I made it. Hope to see your better half on the forum soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
Welcome & I must concede - that is some lively write-up to start my day. Wish you engrossing times on this coveted forum ahead. Please do contribute to the existing travelogues, I would love to read you again.
Thank you Tabrez. The travel bug in me is incurable and I hope that will allow me to pen loads of travelogues in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
A few weeks ago I was a reading a post "My girlfriend doesn't know I am here" and here I am, welcoming my fiancée to the forum.

... Moreover, you will have to write all future travelogues. I am going to concentrate only on Crusoe.
Thank you Biraj. All well and good but don’t you try to squirm out of writing the travelogues. With all the sound advice I am getting from the forum, I will be driving pretty soon. Nay let me rephrase that. I will be practising how to drive in your Crusoe pretty soon. You can sit next to me and compile the travelogues.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:03   #8
BHPian

Welcome aboard ( albeit a little late). What is with you two - Bhavi and Biraj ? You guys hardly have had the time to say an introduction and you guys are flooded with thanks.
I knew you would be a woman and an English Lit graduate after seeing the heading itself. Nice introduction - even if it was a bit verbose.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you roy_libran! I see that you have noticed the grammar geek in me. I did, indeed, make it past that. Took time and a lot of effort but I made it. Hope to see your better half on the forum soon.
My better half ain't gonna make it here, ever! This forum is like her 'Souten'.
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I am a nomad by heart (a bird of passage, if you will) and I love travelling. I enjoy reading the travelogues here and ogling at the attached pictures. I am a bookworm and am mortally afraid of running out of good books to read, especially ones by P.G. Wodehouse. My love for books and stories got me through 5 years of studying English literature. A year of B. Ed later, I entered the field of corporate education. Besides this, I have a degree in disorganization, stupid questions, and procrastination (A female version of Hamlet of sorts).

Now, my quest to learn how to drive a car has been going on for what seems like ages. I would love to learn how to drive one of these things. Ah! to stash my bags in the back, feel the wind in my hair as I drive to some unknown exotic location, drum my fingers on the steering wheel to some tune playing in my darling Neil (an Oceanic Blue Fiat Grande Punto), to give my fiancé a break and drive him around (instead of up the wall ) occasionally, though not being behind the wheel makes him feel like a fish out of water. All this would be possible if only the covert collective community of cars (It exists. I tell you it exists) had not conspired against me. I shall not lose hope though and Mission Mobility shall continue.

I sign off by wishing all of you a very happy and prosperous new year. May all your troubles last as long as your new year resolutions!
Welcome aboard, Bhavi! This introductory post came as a breath of fresh air! A nomad by heart who loves travelling, reads PG, has a great sense of humour and writes so well! My, my, now that's a potent combination! We've got great company, I say! On a personal note, let me add that few of the friends I have made have been more so because they are PG fans-I remember one particular case that it was just one sentence that this fellow who was sitting beside me at a friend's reception said, which made me ask-do you read PG? And we started chatting like lost lost friends after that!!

Great to have you on the forum. I look forward to reading your travelogues peppered with dollops of Bhavour I mean, your brand of humour .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks