Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:40   #1
BHPian

Newbie Intro

Hello Everyone,

Just became a member after lurking in the forums for the past 3 or 4 months.

I now live in Mangalore, a coastal town in Karnataka. Born in Mudigere a short distance from Chickmagalur, grew up there surrounded by lush green coffee estates and forests. Still have interests which pull me back there atleast twice a week.

Mechanical Engineer by profession, have worked in the Power Generation Sector all my life, right from maintenance, management, construction and finally development. Quit corporate life 3 years ago to spend more time at home with my parents and family of 2+2.

Have been a part of the household which owned many cars right from ambassadors, M&M Jeeps, Esteems and last purchased Innova @ 2005.

Currently own and operate a paint retail outlet and a paint contracting firm. Also, an agriculturist where my interests include coffee, arecanut, mangoes, jackfruit, pigs (yeah pigs!) and dogs.

Not much of an automobile jack, but interested to learn and implement these learnings in my life and have found many threads very very helpful.

Very travel oriented (drive-able distances) and have travelled widely in Karnataka, Kerala and Tamilnadu. As a hobby, last November began restoring a CJ500 that was lying around unused and untouched for more than 20 odd years (my father never got around to sell it when a MM540 was bought). Posting a few pictures of the restored Jeep. Hope you like it

And in advance, I thank one and all of you, for what might turn into a great relationship down the years.

Cheers

Arun Goveas

Our first off-road adventure at Thannirbavi beach strip, a no mans land about 500m away from the place where the general populace enjoys the beach

Newbie Intro-20140427_185854.jpg

Another of our outings at Mandalpatti Hills in Mercara

Newbie Intro-20140522_102035.jpg

And finally, just yesterday, doing a slightly difficult expedition on the riverbed of River Hemavati near Mudigere

Newbie Intro-20140530_095640.jpg

Thanks again
arun27g is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Newbie Intro

Welcome Arun!

That's a lovely CJ and I see you have ample opportunity to use it too . What engine / gearbox is she running?

No new car in 9 years can only mean one thing = You use them till they fall apart. I'm from the same school of thought.

Great to have you with us and hope to see a travelogue or two of your drives.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 14:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

You are living a life so many of us dream. Close to your roots; self sustained and master of your destiny. In one word Awesome!

Looking forward to your escapades.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 16:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Welcome Arun!

That's a lovely CJ and I see you have ample opportunity to use it too . What engine / gearbox is she running?

No new car in 9 years can only mean one thing = You use them till they fall apart. I'm from the same school of thought.

Great to have you with us and hope to see a travelogue or two of your drives.

Many thanks GTO, looking forward to many more value gaining interactions. You are quite right about the 9 years gap and the reasons. I cannot bring myself up to sell what have been such lovely companions. Will post and interact more pics of the MM540 and the Bolero pickup. You must understand that 4WD is a necessity rather than a luxury where they operate on a daily basis.

The CJ had till this December (2013) the old International Tractor Engine and its 3+1+4WD gear box. It was a guzzler and a smoke belcher. Having decided to move that into town, had it replaced with a DI Engine of 2004 and a MM540 4+1 gearbox. (apologies for not knowing the right terminologies, will familiarise myself more and talk JEEP in due course .

Yeah we do a lot of travel and will post some travelogue, though I doubt reaching Samurai Sans standards.

Thanks again GTO.

Cheers

Arun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You are living a life so many of us dream. Close to your roots; self sustained and master of your destiny. In one word Awesome!

Looking forward to your escapades.
Thank you ampere. You must know that ampere is a term I have used a zillion times in my working life

Will definitely attempt to post and storify our travels.

Thanks again

cheers

Arun

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd June 2014 at 20:43.
Old 3rd June 2014, 19:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun27g View Post
Thank you ampere. You must know that ampere is a term I have used a zillion times in my working life
Like wise Arun likewise. Hence my fascination for that term!
Will watch out for your stories. Enjoy the forum.
Old 4th June 2014, 13:38   #6
BHPian

Hey there Arun! Welcome to t-bhp.
Good to have a mangalore Bhpian on board.

It's a nice ride you got there. I'm sure you had lotsa fun off-roading in tannirbavi.
I also had had my first experience of off-roading in tannirbavi in a relative's 90s maruti gypsy. It was so much fun.

Cheers from a fellow mangalorean!
Old 4th June 2014, 15:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello

Mechanical Engineer by profession, have worked in the Power Generation Sector all my life, right from maintenance, management, construction and finally development.
Dear Arun Sir, Welcome to the forum. My dad also works for the power generation sector. He had worked with the Skoda Group in their power turbine/ generation wing based in Gurgaon (Haryana) as the head of industrial turbine business till 2013. The power sector has become really competitive with the influx of number of Chinese players. For which organization did you work in the power sector ?

Would like to keep in touch with you for sure.

Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 15:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Dear Arun Sir, Welcome to the forum. My dad also works for the power generation sector. He had worked with the Skoda Group in their power turbine/ generation wing based in Gurgaon (Haryana) as the head of industrial turbine business till 2013. The power sector has become really competitive with the influx of number of Chinese players. For which organization did you work in the power sector ?

Would like to keep in touch with you for sure.

Thanks
Thank you Sir. Great to connect with you. I was with Ansaldo Generator division for a while and then jumped to Enel/Fisia Transformers. From 2005 was with AES Power Corp and quit after the development of the 1320MW station in Orissa was completed. You are right about the Chinese influence and thier major contribution for prices being reduced (and a few shut shops!). However, we at AES were comparitively less influenced than many Indian companies. At the time I left, we still believed in BHEL being the best provider.

Anyway, I have fully quit corporate life for compelling personal reasons. However, should you need any input, please do not hesitate to drop a line or pm me.

Cheers

AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_Freak_911 View Post
Hey there Arun! Welcome to t-bhp.
Good to have a mangalore Bhpian on board.

It's a nice ride you got there. I'm sure you had lotsa fun off-roading in tannirbavi.
I also had had my first experience of off-roading in tannirbavi in a relative's 90s maruti gypsy. It was so much fun.

Cheers from a fellow mangalorean!
Hey Mangi man. Thank you. Pleased to find another of my own here. Was going through members from Mangalore, found some 50 odd, most were inactive though, must have missed you.

Thannirbavi sandbashing is limited to Sunday evenings, most offroading is done in Mudigere and its soroundings (more scope there!).

We can get in touch. I live in Yeyyadi & offices are in the Milagris complex.

Cheers

AG
Old 4th June 2014, 15:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quit corporate life 3 years ago to spend more time at home with my parents and family of 2+2.
How many of us on the forum would wish to do this and spend the time travelling?

Welcome to the forum Arun. Enjoy your stay and am sure you will be talking the Jeep language in no time after a few interactions with the off roaders on the forum. Would love to read more about your travails in the coming days.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2014, 17:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great to connect with you. I was with Ansaldo Generator division for a while. You are right about the Chinese influence and thier major contribution for prices being reduced (and a few shut shops!). At the time I left, we still believed in BHEL being the best provider.

However, should you need any input, please do not hesitate to drop a line or pm me.
Arun ji, Firstly I am comfortable with AD and not sir. Ansaldo has been one of my dad's client/ vendor when he was with DLF power. Chineses manufacturers have taken over the power sector market like anything. They give such a price that probably only BHEL can counter. Siemens, Skoda and TDPS (Bangalore) find it really tough competing with them. The commissioning deadlines by Chinese are one of the most competitive.

Though I am not into mechanical/ technical field but have some knowledge because of my dad. Will definitely be in touch with you sir.

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 15:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Arun ji, Firstly I am comfortable with AD and not sir. Ansaldo has been one of my dad's client/ vendor when he was with DLF power. Chineses manufacturers have taken over the power sector market like anything. They give such a price that probably only BHEL can counter. Siemens, Skoda and TDPS (Bangalore) find it really tough competing with them. The commissioning deadlines by Chinese are one of the most competitive.

Though I am not into mechanical/ technical field but have some knowledge because of my dad. Will definitely be in touch with you sir.

Thanks.
Dear AD, that "Sir" was quoted with affection and nothing else. Power sector discussions are endless and a lifetime isn't enough to cover topics!. When dealing with the Chinese, we at some point realised that "we receive what they wanted to sell rather than what we wanted to buy". Now unless these two "understandings" matched, we (or whoever buys) were doomed from the beginning. However, till the time I left (personally I still do), we still believed, BHEL was a safe (however difficult) bet.

cheers

AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How many of us on the forum would wish to do this and spend the time travelling?

Welcome to the forum Arun. Enjoy your stay and am sure you will be talking the Jeep language in no time after a few interactions with the off roaders on the forum. Would love to read more about your travails in the coming days.
Thank you Ghodlur on you comment. You are very kind. To begin with, I am trying to make sense of the million abbreviations flying all OVER my head. Wish I had paid more attention in the 5th/6th semester auto engineering subjects

cheers
AG
Old 5th June 2014, 21:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Mangi man. Thank you. Pleased to find another of my own here. Was going through members from Mangalore, found some 50 odd, most were inactive though, must have missed you.

Thannirbavi sandbashing is limited to Sunday evenings, most offroading is done in Mudigere and its soroundings (more scope there!).

We can get in touch. I live in Yeyyadi & offices are in the Milagris complex.

Cheers

AG
I've seen quite a lot of cars here in mangalore sporting the bhp stickers but very less are active on the forum. Not sure whether they are bhpians or just got the stickers from someone.

And yeah, we should get in touch when we are free.

Cheers!
Carfreak911
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks