Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 19:28   #1

Bitten by the Jeep Bug!

I have a severe case of jeep-itis. I have spent quite a lot of time on Team-BHP reading about how different members started their Jeep journey, the challenges they faced, and the experiences they had as a part of that journey. I have read most of the jeep rebuild threads on Team-BHP.

Now lets get down to the details.

I'm 30, married, from Amritsar, working in Noida with a Indian MNC as a mid level manager. I got to know about Team-BHP during the launch days of the Thar. Since then, Team-BHP has been the source of all things automobile.

Last year we were in the marked for a mid range car, and the reviews on TBHP really helped to make a good decision.

While I have a general interest in automobiles and the Indian automobile sector, the last few weeks have been spent in soaking up all the jeep rebuild threads. These days, I'm literally living, breathing, and thinking "Jeep" all the time.

Which now brings us to why I want to get a Jeep. My first car is a 2006 M800(AC), which is my daily drive in Noida. The car we got last year is a Hyundai I20, which is a mostly used when the family wants to get around. While both cars are in very good state mechanically and otherwise, I feel that the M800 being a petrol car, cannot be really used by me to travel extensively, and the I20 is strictly a highway car, not to be taken to the off-beat track.(purely my personal beliefs, others free to feel otherwise)
Now you would say, "A mid level manager can get a Thar, can't he?" Well, I don't want to spend 8+ big ones on something that would be a third vehicle.

Hence the need to "rebuild" a jeep. Efforts undertaken so far:

1.Visited a few jeeps that were on sale. Unfortunately, they were just painted up junk. Body line twisted, gear levers clattering, just blinged up to please the eye.

2. Checked out a disposal dealer. Saw one 06 NGCS, interested, paid 1000 as token amount.

I'll letting myself go.

Let's wrap up the intro, and we'll continue the jeep story in another thread in the 4*4 section.
Manjeet_Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 20:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Bitten by the Jeep Bug!

Hello Manjeet,

Welcome to the mad world of auto enthusiasts and happy to have another Noida bhpian joining us. I am also staying near Golf Course in Noida and would be nice to catch up with you sometime.

In the forum we have Sir Behram Dhabar who has been closely involved with Mahindra Thar and he will be surely happy to suggest and assist you for your requirement.

Looking forward to your contribution and have a great time here. Also do share the pics of your ride(s).

All the best and drive safe!

Take care.

AD
Old 19th August 2014, 22:43   #3

Thank you, ad3952n.

I'll upload a few nice ones for the 800 and the I20 over the next few days.

I'm certainly lucky that the Jeep God's name has come up in the first reply to my introduction thread. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a reply from "you know who".

I'll start a separate thread in thee 4X4 section, so that all the seasoned jeepers can pitch in with their inputs.

Looking forward to having a great time, and thanks again for letting me be a member.
Manjeet_Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 10:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Manjeet Singh - hello to you. It is my delight to connect with you. For me, there is only one Jeep God, Mr.Uday Bhan Singh. Everybody else is still an apprentice!

Yes, Jeeps have a unique charm of their own but please remember this cardinal rule: There are correct things that you can and need to do to really enjoy this passion, but there are many more things that you should never do in order to remain absolutely safe. This timeless shape attracts people to it like a magnet. This makes people go overboard. Please do not go overboard!

In your case, upto now you have spent only 1000 rupees . Please post as many photographs of the Jeep which interests you in the 4*4 section (it is easy to find the threads there). The first step (to do) is to buy the model in correct configuration (e.g.CL340) and (not to do) is to walk away from incorrect configurations even if they are to factory specifications (e.g.Commander 650DI). The whole thing is common sense. I will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 11:25   #5

DB Sir, Thank you very much. My intention is to stay as true to the stock form of the MM550 as possible, with the exception of a couple of creature comforts like better seats, and possibly an AC(will need it next summer, for sure).

I've started a thread in the 4X4 vehicles section titled, "Quest for 2006 NGCS MM550".

Would it be possible for me to email the pictures rather than sharing on a public forum? Since the vehicle is not yet owned by me, I don't think the seller would like the merits/demerits of his vehicle discussed online. Once a suitable vehicle is found(or if this one is approved), and the financial transaction is done, I can happily post the pics in the 4X4 section.

Thanks again for your support. I'm extremely happy to know that the whole TBHP community is with me in this endeavor, and you will be there to guide me every step of the way.

Thanks
Manjeet
Old 1st September 2014, 14:30   #6
BHPian

Re: Bitten by the Jeep Bug!

Hi Manjeet,

Welcome to Team-BHP. It's the place to be when it comes to all things automotive.

To solve your case of jeep-itis, you may try to look for used Thar's at Mahindra dealers or probably by seeing online websites or newspaper car advertisements. You never know.., you might get lucky...!!!

Happy Jeeping..!!

Cheers
embee
Old 1st September 2014, 17:31   #7

Thanks Embee!

Well, there's a 550 out there somewhere, getting ready. Mechanical work/tinkering is going on.

Quite confused about the paint.

Thanks
Manjeet
Old 3rd September 2014, 19:05   #8
BHPian

Hi Manjeet,

All the best with your 550. When you ride the jeep wave; do post pictures of it..

Cheers,
Embee

Moderator's Note: There is no point in posting this same message 3-4 times. Please give some time for the moderation system to kick in and clear your previous post.

We have deleted all the copies of this post.
Old 4th September 2014, 13:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Moderator's Note: [/u]There is no point in posting this same message 3-4 times. Please give some time for the moderation system to kick in and clear your previous post.

We have deleted all the copies of this post.[/b]
=> Dear Moderator,
There was some problem either with my internet connection or the webpage as it was not getting refreshed so i clicked the "post new reply" button many times in anticipation. Somehow, now this issue has been sorted out.
Anyways, thanks for deleting my multiple entries..
:Embee:
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks