Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 16:52   #1
BHPian

Happy to be here

A big Hello to all the petrolheads and dieseldudes out here,

Before I begin writing about self, let me confess that what I feel right now is nothing short of a stalker who has been reading and following so much of your hard work for years now. So, to set the record straight, a big thanks to all of you who have spent so many hours of your personal (and office) time as well to help others. Take a bow all contributors.

Now, that I have the monkey off my back, let me tell about myself. I was born and brought up in Agra, Uttar Pradesh (yeah, the one with Taj). By the time, I came of age, my parents gave up on me and thought hostel's the only place for me. So, there I was shunted across one fine day to Nagpur,(Maharashtra) from where I completed my engineering in Computers. Apparently, Nagpur got tired with me a tad earlier than my parents did and so, on a bright sunny(did I say sunny? Sorry, meant rainy) June afternoon I landed up at Majestic railway Station in namma Bangaluru. If my memory is still where it is supposed to be then, the year was 2005 and Bangalore's famous Silk Board Signal used to still be as empty as that auto guy's sole, who charged me 100 bucks for my first ride from Udupi Garden to Silk Board.

So, now after surviving all that worships devil and has a yellow board for number plate, for more than 9 years, I have made this wonderful place with otherwise wonderful people my home.

Coming to the ride and drive part, my first ride was my neighbor's lambretta. Kudos to Italian engineers of that time, that blue colored beast took whatever we threw at him from 6 on saddle to the more often cricket balls (when it served as a wicket). Next came dad's Bajaj Cub, while dad could still do with my ways. I must say, between all the yezdis and supers of that time, Cub had its own bit of charm (or so I felt). That was also the golden period of Indian auto industry when the Ambassadors and Contessas ruled the streets and Padmini with NE graced the parking lots. We had a white premier padmini which served the family well till the time when its scrap price went higher than resale value. I tried my best to scavenge its gear kit but, could not, alas. Deal was between it and a new LML Vespa NV, which still continues to serve anyone at my home in Agra, who knows that it needs to be tilted at exactly 36 degrees to start.

In college days, as I bought a new bajaj calibre(Dad was not sure if the poor NV will last the 18 hour journey via train) Mom got home a Santro Xing(I cant believe that it was Shahrukh who convinced her when all my efforts went in vain). It will be unfair on part if I do not thank this hell of a bike, which never left my side for 4 long years and it was a tearful farewell. I am sure tearful for the third year bloke who mistook my riding skills for bike's caliber.

3 years in Bangalore and again as I bought my first own vehicle a santro xing gls, dad got his second car - tata indigo. For two weeks I was sure that dad wanted to venture in public transport business. Anyways, the santro, still like a faithful friend, bears everything the roads of Bangalore throw at us. But, its now that I am most amazed with the engineering that went into this small tiger. No matter what my two year old daughter does with its glove box door, its still somehow hangs to that latch.

So, yeah that's about me, in short. Software engineer, settled in Bangalore(I know its a cliche now) with a small family and big hopes, looking to make new friends (to save me from the old ones) and waiting to thank all those wonderful people out here who put pedal to metal even in their sleeps.

So, a big Hi again and hope to meet many of you in person.

Regards,
Harsh
HarshVShrotriya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 19:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Happy to be here

Hi Harsh,

A very warm welcome to you. And let me first congratulate you on your style of writing. A very interesting opening post and lets hope there are many more of them.

Your post reminded me of my stay in Bangalore with the only slight difference being the year which in my case was 2003. And my ride there was a Santro too although not the Xing but the earlier Zip plus. How I envied the Xing when it came out specially since my roomie bought that. I would consider us lucky as we were probably the last batch of people who witnessed Bangalore in its glory namely the abundance of trees and daily light rain/drizzle as a ritual. The roads were so much better that time. Now its just Chaos.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 19:53   #3
BHPian

Thanks a lot Mohit(my guess). Hope I can be half as good as some others in here.
Yeah now that I recollect those days of Bangalore, I believe those days will soon become a fable like Malgudi's lifestyle.
Once again thanks for your kind words and hope we can bump into each other sometime.
Old 31st October 2014, 21:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshVShrotriya View Post
Thanks a lot Mohit(my guess). Hope I can be half as good as some others in here.
Yeah now that I recollect those days of Bangalore, I believe those days will soon become a fable like Malgudi's lifestyle.
Once again thanks for your kind words and hope we can bump into each other sometime.
Haha true that. It does feel like malgudi days too some extent now. I have since moved away from Bangalore. The last I remember of it was them feeling all trees on that beautiful jayanagar main road to make way for the metro.
Old 1st November 2014, 00:50   #5
BHPian

You sound awesome, my man.

Welcome to TBHP!
Stiggy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 05:48   #6
BHPian

Thanks Stiggy. BTW 520d is what dreams are made of. Congrats and do drive it up to Bangalore.. :-)
Old 2nd November 2014, 00:50   #7
BHPian

Hi Harsh,

That was a very nice Intro. Loved it. Enjoy your stay on the forum.

nIk
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 01:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the forum Harsh.

Interesting write up! I also fall into the same category - software engineer, now Bangalore based. Got the trademark bloated belly, can pronounce 'esthu boss?', 'hogi hogi' and 'gothilla' properly and even ask questions with the trademark 'aah' at the end. 'I hope you understanding aah?'

I still get an old world charm of Bangalore though! I stay far away from the maddening chaos of the city and take the road less travelled for my office commute.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 05:45   #9
BHPian

Thank you nik and CrAzY d.

@CrAzY d : lol, You nailed it in. Wish my wife would someday allow me to get far far away from Ring Road (maybe a new car will help convince her).

By the way, is there any group for bloated bellies like us ? Would love to be part of it too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks