Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2015, 20:03   #1

Hello Team-BHP!

As a long term lurker on these forums, I finally decided to try joining the community. Team-BHP has been the definitive word when it comes to cars, bikes, reviews and technical know-how. I am glad to be a part of this group and I hope to learn more and contribute meaningfully to this site.

I am a 33 year old software engineer based out of Chennai. After having owned and driven 3 different cars during an onsite assignment in the US, I finally took the plunge to the world of Indian cars, roads and the stick-shifts! So there is a long way to go in refining my driving and car skills.

But I have been working on them on my used 2004 Hyundai Getz GLS (which probably weeps tears of disappointment at my laughable skills and handling!). That said, I am looking to get a new car soon and will have hundreds of questions - so it makes perfect sense to get on here, right?!

I also ride an Avenger 220 and used to have a 2003 Pulsar 150, which was my first love!

More about me - I love movies (Anything from Hitchcock to Anurag Kashyap), TV (Breaking Bad Baby!) and music (A R Rahman to ZZ Top). While generally very shy in person, online communities is where I really hit my stride! Looking forward to a long and rewarding association with this community.
luckystryker is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 21:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hello Team-BHP!

Welcome to the forum. The Getz is one of the few cars that is out there that appeals to a purist, it rides and handles better than most of the current setups due to the combination of a 1.3 NA engine tuned to higher torque & old school stiff hydraulic steering that makes for a confidence inspiring experience. I have one too except its the face-lifted 'Prime' edition.

If you ask me stick shifts will always be my preference, even in traffic as its one of the few things left today that gives a hands-on feel of driving. Traffic is the best place to refine driving skills for anyone. Being from this community let me also emphasize that safety & following road rules are most important as the road is everyones home for a few hours a day.

Congrats on becoming a BHPian. Keep posting.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 22:39   #3

Thank you, Dark Knight! As someone who got into driving late, I have quickly realized that speed isn't everything. Control is. Also as a Driver, one should be able to inspire confidence in the passengers and others in the road around us.

My mother-in-law told me that I drive like an old man! Which is high praise in my books!

Fellow newbie here - Welcome man! Any fan of the Albiceleste is an awesome dude in my books!
luckystryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 13:15   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Luckystryker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystryker View Post
So there is a long way to go in refining my driving and car skills.
Keep reading, we have a huge knowledge-base you can learn from

Quote:
But I have been working on them on my used 2004 Hyundai Getz GLS
Good decision. Always better to 'practice' on a used car than a new one. Agreed with Dark.knight, the Getz was a great hatchback. But it was ahead of its time (no one was ready for a 5+ lakh car without a boot then). Good for Hyundai that the Getz' failure was more than made up by the i20's success.

Ever driven the Getz 1.5 CRDi? Take a spin, it'll blow your mind .

Quote:
Breaking Bad
Loved the start, but it couldn't hold my attention beyond 10 episodes. Got too slow. On the other hand, can't wait for House of Cards Season III!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 14:04   #5

GTO man... Breaking Bad grows in you, if you give it a chance! I binge watched the hell out of it! House of Cards is pretty sweet too. Can't wait!
Old 12th February 2015, 02:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystryker View Post
As a long term lurker on these forums, I finally decided to try joining the community.
So from a long time lurker you decided to become a life time contributor for Team Bhp! Welcome to Team Bhp. Wish you an awesome stay over here.

I just love both your rides. An Avenger 220 is an excellent bike for touring. A decade back red colored Getz 1.3 and Palio 1.6 GTX were my favorite hatch backs. Back then in my college days i used to dream of these cars but when i was in the position to buy a car both of them were out of the market! You are a lucky person to have a wonderful car like Getz!

Last edited by Samba : 12th February 2015 at 03:02.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 09:15   #7

Thanks Samba! When I was car shopping I had narrowed it down to a couple of Maruti Altos and Zens. Then in the showroom was this big proud little hatch that no one wanted

I love it too. Especially the gearshifts and the way the hatch stays planted on the road (my only other long term comparison is my Father-In-Law's 2001 Santro).
luckystryker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:26   #8
BHPian

Hi luckystryker,
Welcome to the Forum..
Man you mentioned ZZ top & I had this broad smile again (courtesy Billy Gibbons!)
I am sure you like La-Grange!
Have a great time here.
GypsyKing_775 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyKing_775 View Post
I am sure you like La-Grange!
Have a great time here.

Ahahaha ha!
Thanks Man! A fellow Pulsar alum is always a sight for sore eyes!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks