Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2015, 15:44   #1
BHPian

Hello from Bengaluru!

Quite early into my life, I was smitten by cars and bikes alike. I think I was only 10 years old when I picked up my first copy of "Autocar" (for 20 or 30 Rs I think) . I still remember I asked my father to buy it, when I had gone with him to the bazaar, because it had the photo of the "Matiz" on its cover as I ,being a kid who liked disney hour on sunday mornings, found the car cute and very appealing in the sea of OMNIs and Ambassadors in my little town at the foothills of Himalayas.

My father always supported good habits like reading and that meant, soon enough, I had a pile of mags on my shel. I knew the specs of Indian cars and bikes like the back of my hand in a year or 2, though I hardly knew what those actually meant (Overdrive edition of the 1st Pulsar launch was one of my favorite cover page - I still have most of those mags with me too)

My passion kept going inspite of the fact that we never had a motorised vehicle at our home so I cycled till I was 16 or so and kept ogling along the roads. My family had, probably still has, a secret hatred for 2 wheelers as they deemed them dangerous even though my uncles have been riding them since they were 15 or something ! I didn't know to ride either a 2 or a 4 wheeler till I was in my 9th standard when I was allowed to learn the 4 wheeler under the guidance of my father's office car driver on the office car, a golden OMNI, on weekends. Having had time, I got lessons after lessons (can't ever forget my lesson on starting on a slope without going backwards even an inch). Got taught how you should feel a pain in your heart when you scratch the vehicle somewhere like it was a friend who was hurt.

Few dents and bumps aside, I was molded into a pretty decent riders who could do himalayan twisties in the OMNI with confidence and ,annoyingly, slow speeds.

I was given a pulsar bait for my 10th boards to secure 90% which I did but then it was shifted to 12th and I hit that too (both had seen a sudden rise of around 20% in 1 month after the bait was given each time )
Well college came and went and I, finally, managed to learn the ever coveted motorcycle as well on my cousin's and friend's machines. First was a Passion in black on the field and I wheelied and it was not fun as I almost sh*t myself on the comfy seats at 20 kmph

Finally, towards the end of college, I inherited the motorcycle from my brother who traveled away from the country and luckily it was a 6 month old Yamaha R15 in Yammy blue ! The wait was worth it I guess and its still going strong, 6 years and 40K kms later. We had, still have it, a black automatic Hyundai i10 with a stupid sun-roof by this time as well but the cars never quite grabbed me on the roads but the story with the 2 wheelers was entirely opposite as I felt that this was what I was supposed to be with ! Always ! Cars do interest me but the ones that do are well beyond reach as of now. Maybe someday I will post a thread of my Mini Cooper S.

Now, nearer to my frustrating 30s than the brilliant 20s, I am finally about to buy myself my first ever vehicle with a RC book that would have my name on it ! The Yammy would probably find a new owner. I have been in deep research mode for the last 8 months or so (When it comes to a purchase I have a habit of researching so much that I look a mad man trying to complete the theory of everything ! And ISP data-plan exhausts half way through the month as well !) in forums especially Team-BHP and articles on the web to lock on to my decisions, change my desktop wallpapers to what I chose, finding all the accessories for that and finally changing my choice to the one I had dismissed earlier, without giving it too many thoughts because of some specs.

Can't wait to be 27.

And thanks for making me apart of the group.

P.S. Always wear protective certified clothing and keep your mind cool while riding and put on those seat belts and do a favor and get yourselves a vehicle with the latest in safety tech! And watch loads of Youtube videos to learn anything under the sun!

Last edited by aah78 : 17th February 2015 at 21:00. Reason: Spell-check. Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Sojogator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 16:22   #2
BHPian

re: Hello from Bengaluru!

Wow! Almost my emotions. Very well put!

Welcome to Team BHP my friend. And did you get the 800 as your first bike?
Old 17th February 2015, 16:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Wow! Almost my emotions. Very well put!

Welcome to Team BHP my friend. And did you get the 800 as your first bike?
First line - thanks.

Second line - Hopefully as the Yammy, though I do everything for it and I am the only one riding it, is not officialy fine !
Old 17th February 2015, 18:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team - BHP buddy! The same story as mine with regards to waiting for getting the first bike and also to learn car with Omni. Though many used to say its like a coffin on wheels driving one is seriously fun.

Once again welcome to this community and waiting to hear more from you on your first vehicle buying experience.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks