Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 01:55   #1

Hello fellow members

Hi everybody! I am happy to be approved as a new member of the Team-BHP forum. After being rejected twice, I almost lost hope to make it this time also. Thanks to the admins and moderators for giving me this honor to share the platform with driving veterans.

I am Bahar. I teach at IIM Kashipur and I am in love with the mountainous terrains of Uttarakhand. In a way it is similar to my home region - Northeast - where we manage hilly roads in all weather. My first driving as a learner was from Aizawl to Silchar in 1995 - a short six hour long journey on a very difficult track. Introduced to driving via Maruti Omni (the cheapest I could afford in 1995), I am now in love with my silver Cheetah - XUV500-W8. Have been a long time M&M fan mainly due to their sturdy Scorpion.

I have driven across continents both in Asia and Africa. Till date, my most memorable journeys on the road were Banjul (Gambia) to Dakar (Senegal), 2005 and Bangkok to Phnom Penh (2008) when I was stranded in Bangkok due to occupation of the airport by protesters. Driving out of that country was the only way out.

I would like to know the views of my senior members on BHP about a debate I often grapple with. The question is whether with all technological supports - GPS, Mobile, rescue services to back up - driving today has lost some of its sensation / adventure 'feeling' ? In deriving the sensation-seeking feeling of adventure where is the fine line between "uncertainty" and "unknown danger" in driving for pleasure? Would love to hear from all you.
drbahar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 10:41   #2
BHPian

re: Hello fellow members

Welcome Dr. Bahar to the Forum and let me be the first to congratulate you on your membership. I, like you and probably most people in India have cut their teeth learning driving in a Maruti. I still vividly remember when I first held the steering wheel of a Maruti Gypsy, what a feeling!

Wow - those are some drive you have mentioned, would live to hear more about the same with some photos as well.

As to your question, I don't believe GPS and other driver aids have reduced the "adventure feeling" but rather encouraged more people to head out and explore. Anyway - these driver aids are optional and it is upto the user to opt for them, or not! I for one use GPS - but only within the city - have never really required it when travelling on highways.

Last edited by PGNarain : 7th May 2015 at 10:44.
PGNarain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 11:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hello fellow members

Welcome to Team-BHP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbahar View Post
I have driven across continents both in Asia and Africa. Till date, my most memorable journeys on the road were Banjul (Gambia) to Dakar (Senegal), 2005 and Bangkok to Phnom Penh (2008) when I was stranded in Bangkok due to occupation of the airport by protesters. Driving out of that country was the only way out.
That's very interesting indeed. I'd say you're lucky. There's nothing better than driving. Given a choice, I'd drive just about anywhere.

Quote:
I would like to know the views of my senior members on BHP about a debate I often grapple with. The question is whether with all technological supports - GPS, Mobile, rescue services to back up - driving today has lost some of its sensation / adventure 'feeling' ? In deriving the sensation-seeking feeling of adventure where is the fine line between "uncertainty" and "unknown danger" in driving for pleasure? Would love to hear from all you.
No question about it. The only time I use a GPS is when I'm in the city. I prefer to ask dhabas and chaiwalas for directions (if I need to) when I'm in the countryside.

See you on the forum.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks