Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2015, 08:38   #1
BHPian

The story of "Who" and "How" - Thanks for the approval!

I recently read this funny quote on the internet "INDIA is the country where students join engineering and then get to know what career they really want to be in"

What is the relation between this and my introduction ?
Will get to that in a bit. I feel "How" is more important here than "Who"

Dating back 35 years, Mechanical and Civil related jobs were majorly the ones with promising career which made several educated people to get into it I believe. I had people from diverse backgrounds surrounding me, ones who were working at the Ship, tank factory (designer of wax rod cooling technology), Maintaining large Weaving machineries. My father worked at a unit where they make pistons for the tractor engines.

And I was a kid who will not eat dinner without hearing a story till my 3rd grade :P
(No, we did not have a TV at home at that time !)

So very soon my dad ran out of stories to tell and started speaking about his work, the Research their R&D team performs on pistons, rings, engines and how tolerances are measured using callipers,.etc. Not that I understood every bit of it, but it kept me engaged I believe

This naturally generated interest towards questioning things curiously inclined towards mechanics and slowly the interest shifted towards the pinnacle achievement in mechanics - "Aeroplanes". As I grew, I even got few inter school awards for model displays of aeroplanes. Wanted to be a fighter pilot, But due to several reasons chose the field of computers for work

Few years later, had much more close encounter with another such excellent mechanics at work - When I purchased my first car(Hyundai Santro GLS)
[Happen to face a lot of heat for this decision as my entire circle were Maruti lovers]

Started learning different aspects of my car as the need arose

1. Why does engine switch off when I release clutch too fast on first and Second gear ?
2. What is a clutch, why do I need it ?
3. Why wheel balancing ? and what are those figures in the job sheet means ?
4. Why de-carbonise the engine at regular intervals and How come its done in few hours ?
5. What does the characters in my tyre indicate ? and how to choose an all season tyre for my car ?
6. How disk brake works ? and why do we have holes in the disk plate ?
7. How auto shift works ? and differences between AMT and CVT
8. Why is CVT's cannot be used in heavy applications ? and why is it considered costly to maintain ?
9. What are torque converters ?
,.etc

And got hooked up to learn the technology in general. Found answers to several questions in Teambhp and started to follow it.
Not very late, fell in love with its "unbiased quality reviews and content" - AND "that my friends is the story of HOW I met Teambhp"

So coming back to my introduction part, From
Personal standpoint : I am a continuous learner who is curious about the operation of things around me
I.T standpoint : I am an open source evangelist who believes in open knowledge to all
Relation with Cars : I am 6.2ft managing to drive a Hyundai Santro GLS for almost 6 years straight. And the longest drive on it till now, was on 2012 running approximately 1250 Km's in 3 days (Chennai --> Coimbatore --> Bangalore --> Chennai, all via Salem)
It's a Privilege to be a part of this forum and looking forward to greater learning experiences from all of you !
Tamarind is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 08:56   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
Relation with Cars : I am 6.2ft managing to drive a Hyundai Santro GLS for almost 6 years straight. And the longest drive on it till now, was on 2012 running approximately 1250 Km's in 3 days (Chennai --> Coimbatore --> Bangalore --> Chennai, all via Salem)
Welcome Aboard Sir, we all learn something everyday here.

Expecting a travelogue on the longest to done and many more.

Do go through our forum rules before venturing out.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 08:58   #3
BHPian

Superb intro there! I can relate your Dad to mine, he would tell me his engineering and mechanical bits instead of bedtime stories. For every achievement, I would get one Hotwheels. I still do love collecting them!

Anyways, welcome onboard! Have an enjoyable stay. Awaiting the ownership review of your Santro. There are many Santro fans around on board.

Keep revvin'
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 14:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: The story of "Who" and "How" - Thanks for the approval!

Welcome the the forum Tamarind!
Well, being an open source evangelist, Chennai is an excellent place, because they have the distinction of being the most well managed and most active OSM chapter, as well as a very vibrant LUG.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 16:54   #5
BHPian

Welcome aboard! Nice to welcome a person with fine mix of interests, open source and Interested on anything mechanical!Being a linux evangelist my self, welcome you heartily! Expect good contributions from your experiences, both on wheels and other aspects!
srikanthns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 08:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Welcome Aboard Sir, we all learn something everyday here.

Expecting a travelogue on the longest to done and many more.

Do go through our forum rules before venturing out.
Thanks for the welcome a4anurag,

Sure - will bind the experiences over travel along with few pictures that i have

And regarding the rules, I actually went through the rules before posting. Please bare with me and kind enough to point it to me if there was a violation in the above post

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Superb intro there! I can relate your Dad to mine, he would tell me his engineering and mechanical bits instead of bedtime stories. For every achievement, I would get one Hotwheels. I still do love collecting them!

Anyways, welcome onboard! Have an enjoyable stay. Awaiting the ownership review of your Santro. There are many Santro fans around on board.

Keep revvin'
Neel
Thanks perolhead_neel,

Ha ha, Will love to see your collections some time - do post some pictures of your showcase if possible

And regarding the Santro ownership review, Sure - will click some pictures of my car and create a write up of my experiences with the machine which i have trusted for 5+ years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Welcome the the forum Tamarind!
Well, being an open source evangelist, Chennai is an excellent place, because they have the distinction of being the most well managed and most active OSM chapter, as well as a very vibrant LUG.
Thanks Tsk1979,

Indeed !
I personally have the experience of meeting few wonderful personalities with the same mindset about open source technologies

If you might be interested, There was a new group recently that i had been a part of in Chennai - "Headstart-network". This also had a good vibe of people willing to share and help with experiences of their startups.

Later heard that this group is more vibrant in Bangalore and seem to have hosted people like the one who was the brain behind "Fusion Charts" several years back

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Welcome aboard! Nice to welcome a person with fine mix of interests, open source and Interested on anything mechanical!Being a linux evangelist my self, welcome you heartily! Expect good contributions from your experiences, both on wheels and other aspects!
Thanks Srikanthns,

Glad to meet you here,
And Yes, Looking forward to learning and sharing with all of you !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks