Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 20:57   #1
BHPian

Cracked the exam finally!

Hello Veterans (by virtue of being here longer and not by age)

I thought that getting account approved here would be tougher than cracking IIT exams that I did in 1983. First attempt of getting through met with failure. I wan't going to give it up so easily, so tried again and here I am. Thank you mods!

I am currently settled in Indore (since 1991) and on the other side of 50. Bitten by travel bug pretty late in life, and would be setting out for second 3000 km marathon through Rajasthan in the end of next month. First run was a 2K one. This bug would keep bugging me more and more as my son graduates next year, so will have more time to measure the length and breadth of wonderful India. Plan to drive till 60 years of age.

Cars owned/own:

Fiat 1100 (pre-Padmini logo days) - Self learned driving in this in 1977-78.

M800 - 1994 to 2000. Sold in 2000 for 65K

Opel Astra 1.6 -- 1998 to 2014 -- last few years it was just there to block the parking place in society. Sold off as scrap for 20K before buying Linea T-Jet and Ford Figo 1.2 in quick succession.

M800 - 2005 - till date. Wife isn't selling it off.

Ford Figo 1.2 Zxi - Dec 2013 - till date. Plans to get this off the list in 2018. Right now, my son drives this to college -- it's only with us in case of any short emergency runs. Runs trouble free and has done ~18K

Linea T-Jet Dynamic - April 2014 - till date. Runs niggle free, with great ASS and has done close to 13 K. Primarily for long distance travels between. A drivers delight!

What's going to be next?
Depends on moola that I have to spare, but would love to possess either of the following:

Pajero Sports
Fiat X 500 -- If it ever makes to India. Hope it does.

I am sure I will have a wonderful time here.
Signing off for now!
rusticnomad is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 18:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cracked the exam finally!

Welcome aboard Team-BHP, rusticnomad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticnomad View Post
Plan to drive till 60 years of age.
You've got to be joking! This forum and its members do not appreciate anyone setting that kind of age limit on driving - we 'Live to Drive', may I remind you.

Your past and present cars appear to be all petrol-engined. And then you want a next change to be the Pajerosport. Has this to do with your limited running in the past, and a newfound interest in roadtrips?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 19:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

Welcome rusticnomad... your resolution to drive only till 60 is going to shock lots of people here. I have an uncle who drives at 90. I don't support either extremes.

Looks like you stuck with your old cars for very long.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 21:07   #4
BHPian

Hey welcome.

Why 60 as a limit and not over it or under it?
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 03:04   #5
BHPian

I tried using multi-quote feature, but somehow, it doesn't work for me. So replying without multi-quote, but tagging:

@SS-Traveller - Thanks. I would review my decision at 60 in steps of 5 years at a time. As for the "desire" to own a Pajero -- this is more for doing places not doable in a sedan. But, if that doesn't happen, will take T-jet for the same ride, skipping sections only fit for a 4WD. "Kitna deti hai" has never been my/our concern.

I quickly adapt to the demands of the machine, so diesel or petrol both are fine with me. In fact, Figo petrol was bought after TD of diesel vehicle. It was only for T-jet that I refused a TD in diesel or NA version.

@heydj -- Thanks. 60 seems an achievable target without a fuss as of now. Then, would take calls in blocks of 5 years at a time.

@Samurai -- Thanks. Believe me, I had no intention of hurting anyone when I put that 60 years figure. I would love to drive as long as I can drive. I know of a close-to 80 year old gentleman in my society who still drives, but not on long trips.

As for holding onto M 800, I have no desire to argue with better half, or BH, to force into selling. Why try and fight a battle that can never be won.

As for Astra 1.6, it saved 5 of us (I stepped out with just me a minor bruise on knee) in a crash at 140 (driver under-steered in dark night -- a railway crossing) and the left fork took a devastating hit and we were clueless as it was pitch dark in middle of nowhere. Normally, when I am around, I just don't allow anyone else to drive in the night, but that day was different :(

Despite that, after sunrise and fixing the issue which allowed the car to start, we drove around 30 km at speeds no more than 20 (as it used to make screeching sound with huge wobbling of steering -- fork bent, alignment horribly out) to a place (Pratapgarh) where truck mechanics straightened the fork and aligned the wheels to drive-able condition. Then drove for 1000 Km after that in same condition back to Indore and never replaced the arm. It just kept working fine till speeds of 90.

Fork replacement charges for Astra 1.6 were too steep back then -- IIRC, close to 15k. It worked all fine till around 2012/13, when it started visiting the garage more than it stayed with us. It was nearing EOL, so thought of letting it just block the parking lot, and decided to sell it off as scrap whenever time is right.

In fact, it was this experience with Astra on long journeys, that we decided for European/American cars. Since got a very bad pre-sales treatment from Skoda guys, I knocked off Rapid and Vento being from the same league was off the list immediately. I did TD of RAPID, despite having made up my mind of not buying it. Honda and Hyundai weren't even in the race.
rusticnomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 17:08   #6
BHPian

Welcome RN !

I am already an oldie uncle on the wrong side of 50, but a newbie on this forum - and still plan to continue driving as long as the faculties permit.

So as good old Johnnie would say - Keep Walking (age - no bar, especially at the BAR)

At TeamBHP it is keep driving - age no bar !
Old 1st November 2015, 18:54   #7
BANNED

Welcome, esp as a former IITian. Taught there for 37 years. Cracked JEE in 1968 (did not join B Tech) with a 3xx AIR.
Old 1st November 2015, 19:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticnomad View Post
I
Pajero Sports
Fiat X 500 -- If it ever makes to India. Hope it does.
I am sure I will have a wonderful time here.
Signing off for now!
Welcome, just landed in this thread randomly and I found a fellow bhiyao. I belong to Indore too and currently reside in Sudama nagar. Enjoy!
Old 3rd November 2015, 01:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team-Bhp Rusticnomad.

Glad to see another guy from MP(My hometown is Bhopal), as for age discussion, my 60 plus father still does frequent Indore - Bhopal runs without thinking twice

Please get acquainted with our forum rules & have a pleasant stay
Old 3rd November 2015, 02:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

My Resolution is to avoid living beyond 60. Welcome to TBHP.

You were driving LONG before many of us were born and it would be great to hear your stories through your age
Old 4th November 2015, 13:51   #11
BHPian

Finally got hold of multi-quote feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Welcome RN !

At TeamBHP it is keep driving - age no bar !
Thanks.
Would love to live that life for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Welcome, esp as a former IITian. Taught there for 37 years. Cracked JEE in 1968 (did not join B Tech) with a 3xx AIR.
Thank you Sir!
I am still a student learning new things. Switched profession after being in job for a short 13 years and took up an entirely "alien" field and self learned things - one baby step at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Welcome, just landed in this thread randomly and I found a fellow bhiyao. I belong to Indore too and currently reside in Sudama nagar. Enjoy!
Thanks.
We are at Chandralok Colony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Welcome to Team-Bhp Rusticnomad.

Glad to see another guy from MP(My hometown is Bhopal), as for age discussion, my 60 plus father still does frequent Indore - Bhopal runs without thinking twice

Please get acquainted with our forum rules & have a pleasant stay
Thanks.
Yes, I am slowly getting a hold of rules. Guess few oversight would be dealt with leniently. I run a forum too, but that's for diabetics so I guess I would falter less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My Resolution is to avoid living beyond 60. Welcome to TBHP.

You were driving LONG before many of us were born and it would be great to hear your stories through your age
Thanks.
Well, at TBHP I guess "we live to drive", so if I read correctly, would you stop driving after 60

Sure, as time passes by expect few stories from me, though not very adept at story telling.
Old 4th November 2015, 22:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Welcome rusticnomad! Will keep an eye out for your travelogues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My Resolution is to avoid living beyond 60.
..and how do you plan to achieve that?
Old 6th November 2015, 10:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Welcome rusticnomad! Will keep an eye out for your travelogues.
Thanks rrsteer!
Re travelogue, 16 more days for the journey to begin. Will post as it progresses.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed