Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2016, 20:47   #1

Hello Team-BHP!

Hello everyone!

Thanks a lot for accepting me on your forum. I have been visiting team-bhp.com for a while now to get unto date on all the latest and greatest in the Car world. I was particularly taken by the great reviews of cars posted. I loved the attention to detail, and the general unbiased nature of the reviews. I also like the fact that the reviewers treat their audience as adults rather than behave like know-it-alls on the general Indian magazines, websites and tv shows.

I just made the big 30, and am based in the UK, though I spend a large amount of time in India. I liked watching F1, Moto GP, WRC. I also love football and Cricket. My teams are McLaren, the Arsenal, and KKR (and India obviously).

I am interested in car reviews, general views on cars, autosports and importantly car safety. Whether it is in safety equipment, the introduction of mandatory crash tests on all cars sold in India, driving safely and most importantly staying sober when behind the wheel.

I am pretty car crazy and I am a Jag man. As a kid Mercs, BMWs were all nice but when I was 11 I sat in my Uncle's Jag XJ6, I was blown away. It didn't have any of the advanced tech of the Germans, but there was something about it. It had this air of occasion like nothing else. It was in British Racing Green and whilst that may be a stereotype it looked grand.

Moving onto my cars, my first car was a Hyundai Getz, it was the first generation launched in India, in Black. I say it was my car, I was abroad for college and it really was a house car but I had exclusive use of it on my trips home. It was a great little car and I never understood how it didn't sell more. When it went it was replaced by the current generation of Fluidic Verna (pre facelift.) Not the most driver friendly of cars but it had a lot of features and occasional suspension issues aside has done a decent job. We still have it but I have replaced it. Moving on to my first car in the UK. As I am required to travel for work I am allowed a work car. Being based in the UK I chose a Jag XF. It was a lease and I had it from 2012 till 2015.

My current cars are a current generation VW Passat (B8, work lease) that I have had for a year and a Jag F-Type R. The Passat which I chose from some pre specced cars, is a nice car, and has a lot of nice technology. But it is a bit boring to drive. I am planning to replace it as we have a new colleague who joined and needs a car. I know it is cheating a bit but I managed to convince my Finance Director. I am considering the Mercedes C350E Plug in Hybrid. I suppose I will lose out a bit on the long distance endurance of the Passat as that is a Diesel and the C is a Petrol Hybrid, but it is a bit better for the environment and it is a cleaner fuel, and the hybrid tech makes it nice for the city.

F-Type R I was dying to get since the time I heard they were launching a Coupe version. I placed an order the day it was announced (without really thinking how to finance the thing, but hey it all worked out in the end!) I got it in white, and I am totally in love. I was told to consider the 911, but I don't think the Engine is in the right place, plus a boxer 6<5.0 V8!! And in the UK they don't feel special. There are so many of them, that it feels more like a cliche. Plus it just doesn't sound as nice.

In India I got a pre-owned (or pre-worshipped in Team BHP parlance) Jag XF S 3.0 TD V6. I was convinced about buying pre-ownedafter reading the review of the BMW 530 D owned and reviewed by GTO. Worth a read for anyone who loves cars and especially for anyone buying pre owned. Or if you are unsure to buy its a good guide.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ped-beast.html

On the topic of pre-owned I am hoping to buy a Willys Jeep soon. (Though soon is a very loose soon!)

Anyways enough about me, I am looking forward to contributing on this website and having discussions about cars, BHP, Autosports, Car safety and anything in between.

Mod Note: Please stick to 2 smilies per post

Last edited by ampere : 24th February 2016 at 07:28.
MihirB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 22:06   #2
BHPian

re: Hello Team-BHP!

Welcome to the forum MihirB. Great to see an avid auto-enthusiast in you. Looking at your passion, I am sure you can contribute a lot for the petrolheads in here.

Waiting for your ownership threads in details for the wheels that you drive. (Rather the wheels that drive you)
Old 24th February 2016, 10:13   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hello Team-BHP!

Welcome Mihir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirB View Post
I loved the attention to detail, and the general unbiased nature of the reviews. I also like the fact that the reviewers treat their audience as adults rather than behave like know-it-alls on the general Indian magazines, websites and tv shows.

Quote:
My teams are McLaren
Tough times for a McLaren fan. The Honda move was disastrous and it's going to be a while before the engine is up to speed. By then, Alonso would be past his prime.

Quote:
In India I got a pre-owned (or pre-worshipped in Team BHP parlance) Jag XF S 3.0 TD V6. I was convinced about buying pre-ownedafter reading the review of the BMW 530 D owned and reviewed by GTO.
Thanks! Glad my review helped you. You got yourself a beast - congratulations . How about an ownership review, including the buying & searching experience? Will be a great read and very helpful to others looking at pre-owned luxury cars.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 20:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hello Team-BHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirB View Post
Moving onto my cars, my first car was a Hyundai Getz, it was the first generation launched in India, in Black. I say it was my car, I was abroad for college and it really was a house car but I had exclusive use of it on my trips home. It was a great little car and I never understood how it didn't sell more. When it went it was replaced by the current generation of Fluidic Verna (pre facelift.)
Welcome to the boards Mihir, I agree completely with what you wrote about the Getz - one of the best Hyundais ever sold in India until now. It still remains the most driver friendly of cars with a perfectly weighted steering & feel.. leaps and bounds ahead of Fluidic Verna which as you mentioned is more of a feature loaded car.

As for high end cars my experiences have been few & scattered, restricted to whenever I'd get the opportunity to drive from people I know who own them or showroom test drives. I loved the BMW 3er of yore i.e the E Series which had awesome interiors & a simple layout & a driver centric approach.. the current models, not so much. They are kind of going the Audi route which was highly unnecessary, as for VW cars you're right they are slightly boring to drive and they are more about refinement & numbness than outright feel & emotions. Never been near a Jag, they're not so common in India and I guess it escapes my mind most of the time because I always think of Merc & BMW as the ultimate 2. From the looks of it and as much as I'm surprised to believe it, Jaguar is on the rise apparently and garnering praises from most corners after the Tata acquisition. They are digging right into Bimmer territory with drivability and into Merc territory for comfort and balancing them apparently quite well.

See you around by the forums!

Last edited by dark.knight : 24th February 2016 at 20:24.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks