Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2016, 12:58   #1

Hello Team-BHP - Happy to be onboard

Hello Team-BHP,

My name is Ayesha, and I am an airline stewardess. I have been on the job for 3 years now and absolutely love it. Frankly, apart from cars, the only thing I love is aviation. I was born in India, brought up in Columbia, MO and then shifted back again to India. Now my job is such that I keep hopping from one corner of the world to other.

A friend had introduced me to Team-BHP and I have been hooked on to it ever since. I was overjoyed to see the membership approval mail today. Have been following the Indian automotive scene for a long time and most of my information comes from this forum. I really find TBHP to be a much better, unbiased, professional and accurate source of information about cars than any news magazines or the so called video reviews on the television.

And at the risk of sounding repetitive, let me tell you this – I really love cars. For me, cars have been an integral part of my life since childhood. My parents owned a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria, which I absolutely adored. The 4.6L V8 was one hell of an engine. And it lasted 195,000 miles without any major maintenance. When the Crown Vic’s production ended, I really felt sad. It wasn’t just the end of the Crown Vic. It was the end of an era. An era of big engines and rear wheel drive, of bodies on frames and column shifters. The end of an era of memories, good and bad. I weep for the generations that won't know the dread and fear of a white crown Vic pulling you over for going 70 mph in a 60 zone. A generation that won't know the elegance of a bright yellow beast, casually waiting for you to escape the rain or snow into it's so-wide back seat. Crown Victoria, you have served so many for so long, and you will be reminisced affectionately for years to come. You've been lost, but you won't be forgotten.

In India, we own a Ford Classic 1.6S. We bought it just because it was a Ford, and it has turned out to be a lovely car. Great driving dynamics coupled with a steering worth dying for, make it absolutely drool worthy. Driving down from the Bangalore airport road, this car just comes alive. One of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. Maintenance is usually done at Metro Ford, who have turned out to be good enough. Unfortunately, I do not give the car the time it deserves due to my hectic and unplanned schedule.

Anyways, I guess I have bored you guys enough. Looking forward to a great stay on this forum.

Regards,
Ayesha
Ayesha is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 15:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hello Team-BHP - Happy to be onboard

Hi Ayesha. Let me be the first one to welcome you onboard Team-BHP. We will definitely be looking forward to your travel experiences as a stewardess.
I absolutely envy you for the Ford Fiesta 1.6 you own. A purist is the only one who would have the guts to buy one of these. It is surely a car worth drooling about.
Regards and looking forward to the ownership review
vishy76
Old 4th June 2016, 16:28   #3
BHPian

Re: Hello Team-BHP - Happy to be onboard

Welcome to the forum. The attention to detail on this forum is unmatched and unparalleled.

Looking forward to reading about your experiences with cars in India and abroad. How about you start with that Ford Victoria you were talking about?

There's still something about a big capacity NA engine that turbochargers can never match!
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 16:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome ! Good to see you here. We have pilots, and now we have you amongst the enthusiasts .. Guess you could also share your experiences as a stewardess. It would go un-said that the work can sometimes get frustrating due to people's behaviour, but I'm sure there are some bright moments too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha View Post
The 4.6L V8 was one hell of an engine. And it lasted 195,000 miles without any major maintenance. When the Crown Vic’s production ended, I really felt sad. It wasn’t just the end of the Crown Vic. It was the end of an era. An era of big engines and rear wheel drive, of bodies on frames and column shifters. The end of an era of memories, good and bad. I weep for the generations that won't know the dread and fear of a white crown Vic pulling you over for going 70 mph in a 60 zone.

Tell us about it !! You haven't driven in the US if you haven't been pulled over by one of these

And yes, those column shifters too.

Welcome again, and I think I dont need to say it, but - Enjoy this journey too !
Old 6th June 2016, 01:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Welcome ! Good to see you here. We have pilots, and now we have you amongst the enthusiasts .. Guess you could also share your experiences as a stewardess. It would go un-said that the work can sometimes get frustrating due to people's behavior, but I'm sure there are some bright moments too.

Tell us about it !! You haven't driven in the US if you haven't been pulled over by one of these
Thanks for the warm welcome, Condor. I didn't know that we have pilots on the forum. I haven't seen any thread of that sort yet. Could you please provide links for any of them?

As far as my experiences as a flight stewardess are concerned, they aren't too exciting, to be frank. Yes, people can be unreasonable sometimes, but that's just natural. After being in this line of work for 5 years, there is one thing I have understood - everybody you meet is fighting a personal battle of some sort. So I have picked up the habit of never judging people. I always try to give people the benefit of doubt. Of course, if somebody is really trying to be as unfriendly as possible for no apparent reason, then it's different. But this is more an exception than norm.

Coming to the Crown Vic, it was always a fun experience for me. Primary reason being that my car was painted black and had a CB radio antenna on the trunk. From a distance, it resembled a unmarked cruiser. There were a lot of instances when we would drive on the freeway and people would start slowing down and giving us way. I won't lie - that was fun. I was stopped a couple of times by a sheriff's deputy who claimed my Crown Victoria "resembled a law enforcement vehicle". Needless to say, that argument didn't hold since it wasn't illegal at all. I never got into trouble for that.

But being pulled over by cops is something I have a lot of memories of. I have a couple of stories I vividly remember even today.

Incident 1
This one happened when I was 18 or so. I am approaching an intersection when the lights turn green. I turn, and 3 seconds later, a cruiser lights me up. I am like, what the hell just happened? Anyway, he then proceeds to tell me I ran the light! I tell him that I did not run the light. An argument ensues. So then he pulls the whole 'where are you coming from' and 'what have you been doing' bit. I tell him that I work for the same town he did and was on my way home from work. So he goes well I'm going to let you go this time but next time watch those red lights! Being the retarded teenager I was, I retorted immediately - "No problem I guess next time I'll even stop at the GREEN turn signal." He almost came to the verge of issuing a citation. He didn't actually issue it but kept reprimanding me till he got in his car. I guess he had to have the last word.

Incident 2
The other anecdote is when I was riding shotgun with a friend on I-95. We were doing about 75 mph in a 65 zone. I notice a marked unit in the mirror and ask Steve to slow it down. Needless to say, Mr. Cop pulls us over. I curse Steve and give him a piece of my mind. Then the cop comes over and says, "That was a bit fast, may I see your pilot license"? What Steve did then made him a legend in our circles. Steve says, "Sure thing", and hands over his FAA CPL card. As it turns out, Steve was a pilot. The look on the Mr. Cop's face was priceless. Anyway, he had a good sense of humor and started laughing. He let us go with a warning. "Everything seems to be in order, drive a bit more careful from now on, will you?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
How about you start with that Ford Victoria you were talking about?There's still something about a big capacity NA engine that turbochargers can never match!
As they say, no replacement for displacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I absolutely envy you for the Ford Fiesta 1.6 you own. A purist is the only one who would have the guts to buy one of these. It is surely a car worth drooling about.
I will try to put my experiences as and when possible. And yes, a review of the crown vic is in the making. Stay tuned.
Ayesha is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 06:15   #6
BANNED

Welcome Onboard Ayesha. Have a great stay here.

Quote:
. I haven't seen any thread of that sort yet. Could you please provide links for any of them?.
Here you on the links.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ts-review.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ms-review.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...dian-navy.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...pressions.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...-page-6-a.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ndustries.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...-carriers.html

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th June 2016 at 06:16.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 07:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The other anecdote is when I was riding shotgun with a friend on I-95. We were doing about 75 mph in a 65 zone. I notice a marked unit in the mirror and ask Steve to slow it down. Needless to say, Mr. Cop pulls us over. I curse Steve and give him a piece of my mind. Then the cop comes over and says, "That was a bit fast, may I see your pilot license"? What Steve did then made him a legend in our circles. Steve says, "Sure thing", and hands over his FAA CPL card. As it turns out, Steve was a pilot. The look on the Mr. Cop's face was priceless. Anyway, he had a good sense of humor and started laughing. He let us go with a warning. "Everything seems to be in order, drive a bit more careful from now on, will you?"

This made my day! There are stuffs, which I remember finding only in Reader's Digests long long ago.

Welcome to the forum and happy driving!
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 08:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hello Ayesha,
Welcome to the Forum. Hope you have a good time here. Do tell us about your travel experiences.

Looking forward to a review on the Ford Crown Victoria.

Quote:

Incident 2

That one made my day. Post it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...them-here.html
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 08:12   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't know that we have pilots on the forum. ..Could you please provide links for any of them?
Our friend Anurag has pointed out a few already .. thanks to him !

Quote:
After being in this line of work for 5 years, there is one thing I have understood - everybody you meet is fighting a personal battle of some sort.
True that ! These 5 years in the skies seem to have given you a bird's eye view of life too.. Way to Go !

Quote:
We were doing about 75 mph in a 65 zone. I notice a marked unit in the mirror and ask Steve to slow it down. Needless to say, Mr. Cop pulls us over. .. Then the cop comes over and says, "That was a bit fast, may I see your pilot license"? What Steve did then made him a legend in our circles. Steve says, "Sure thing", and hands over his FAA CPL card. As it turns out, Steve was a pilot. The look on the Mr. Cop's face was priceless. Anyway, he had a good sense of humor and started laughing. He let us go with a warning. "Everything seems to be in order, drive a bit more careful from now on, will you?"
Nice cop that ! Did your friend Steve help you decide to be a Flight Stewardess ?

And hey - thanks, you helped with a nice start to the Monday.

Happy Flying !

Last edited by condor : 6th June 2016 at 08:39.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 10:12   #10
Team-BHP Support

Hi Ayesha,

Welcome to Team-BHP. I am a big fan of the Ford Fiesta and have travelled extensively in it. It's an involving car to drive and an absolute joy to throw around on twisty mountain roads. Sad it could not pull customers to Ford showrooms like its competitors.

The second incident you have narrated, had me in splits.

Drive safe .

Last edited by Aditya : 6th June 2016 at 16:51.
Old 6th June 2016, 16:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Welcome to the forum and happy driving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP.
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum with such hospitality. I am so glad that you guys liked the anecdote. Even today, we laugh over it hysterically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Nice cop that ! Did your friend Steve help you decide to be a Flight Stewardess ?
No, I met Steve after I became a flight stewardess. My inspiration was Elaine Dickinson in the movie Airplane!, played by Julie Hagerty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Welcome Onboard Ayesha. Have a great stay here.
I may be completely wrong, but I think I know the member searchingheaven, who has penned down the 777 review thread. I had met a pilot named Syed(name mentioned in his signature) a couple of months ago. I know that he flies the 777. Since I don't have PM facility, I am thinking of posting on the thread itself. If it really turns out to be him, it's going to be quite interesting.

And thanks a lot for your warm welcome & support, and giving me the opportunity to contribute to this community.
Old 14th June 2016, 16:38   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Incident 2
Welcome to Team-BHP Ayesha! This one had me in splits, a very nice and memorable experience there! Hope something like that happens with me too ..Looking forward to see a thread on your stewardess experience!
mohammedismail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 12:11   #13
BHPian

Welcome aboard. Was searching for crown-victoria and this team-bhp linked showed up. Made me curious and got me here. Was always scared of this vehicle as its the normally used as an interceptor with no baring ECU (in effect can reach high speeds at no time)
Missouri is a quite place and driving on I95 is even better. Was my regular route up in the north east (MA-NY-NJ-PA). Enjoy your stay here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks