Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2016, 22:20   #1
BHPian

Team-BHP sailing across the oceans!

Dear fellow BHPians,

Yes, you have read the tittle right. Writing you this introduction from Very Large Crude Carrier M.T. Gener8 Strength in Indian Ocean (precisely, Latitude 32 Deg 55 min South & Longitude 046 Deg 33 min East) with Team-BHP in heart.

I am Newbie Kingshuk (aged 41, but 14 at heart). Born, grown up and settled in Kolkata. Study & college from Kolkata & Bombay. Did my professional studies in UK. Merchant Navy Oil Tanker Captain in profession. Got addicted to Team-BHP from 2008 while searching a long distance route over internet, and after five failed attempts, finally I am in. What took me so long? Well, four years back tried to register twice & failed. Back then, there was no internet connection on board merchant ships. So it was not possible for me to keep in touch always. For past two years, internet has been provided almost on all ships. After following Team-BHP day & night for past two years, could not hold my-self anymore. Re-started registration process again, and hard work paid off.

I have checked few forums other than T-BHP, they are just dead. The uniqueness of Team-BHP is that, it is alive, always something happening & feels like my own family. I am very glad to be with you guys.

My addiction to Carnot’s cycle started way back in 1998 with a Red Hero Honda Splendor. Followed by first gen HH CBZ (1999-2008), Maruti Zen LX (2001-2006), Maruti Swift VXI (2006-2011), Honda City V MT (2011- 53,000 km and running) and finally got sheer driving pleasure on BMW 3 GT Luxury Line in 2015.

I love scenic photography and be behind the wheel on long drives. In due course, will post a write up on VLCC Main Engine, right now which is propelling me with 41,772 BHP. I hope we can exchange knowledge and experience from each other.

Drive safe.
Best Regards,
Kingshuk

P.S: Every failed attempts was upsetting me. However, when I came to know that someone is checking an average of 700 applications in a week! It just blew my mind. How much determination he has to keep this forum upright! Hat’s off to you man. My ‘upset’ became my ‘determination’, encouraged me to write my answers to perfection. After every registration, I used to sit again & prepare next set of answer, before the result is out. Thank you entire mod team for fantastic dedication to keep this forum like our own family.
Sail is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 23:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Team-BHP sailing across the oceans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Writing you this introduction from Very Large Crude Carrier M.T. Gener8 Strength in Indian Ocean
Boy that is a huge carrier (just googled the images)!

Anyways, welcome aboard sailor.

Quote:
My addiction to Carnot’s cycle started way back in 1998 with a Red Hero Honda Splendor.
I like how you mentioned Carnot's cycle.

It was fun reading your introduction, and looking forward to reading your posts on the 41,772 BHP engine and also some of the photography.
Omkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 03:03   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, you have read the tittle right. Writing you this introduction from Very Large Crude Carrier M.T. Gener8 Strength in Indian Ocean (precisely, Latitude 32 Deg 55 min South & Longitude 046 Deg 33 min East) with Team-BHP in heart.
Ahoy sailor! Great to hear from a sailor on board a carrier. I have always been amazed at such large carriers. Hopefully, we will get to see some good pictures of the ports, & sights from your carrier.

BTW, I sail on a tiny Catalina 27 sailboat/keelboat. I started sailing in the safe waters of a bay, I have now started venturing into the ocean.
prasadee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 13:20   #4
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] or Edit original post to add reply. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Boy that is a huge carrier (just googled the images)!

I like how you mentioned Carnot's cycle.

It was fun reading your introduction, and looking forward to reading your posts on the 41,772 BHP engine and also some of the photography.
Hi Omkar, thanks for your post.
With Length: 333 mtrs, breadth: 60 mtrs, fully laden draft: 21.3 mtrs, she is mammoth.
Can't move ahead with-out his name
Project on drawing board

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
BTW, I sail on a tiny Catalina 27 sailboat/keelboat. I started sailing in the safe waters of a bay, I have now started venturing into the ocean.
Hi prasadee, nice to hear about your adventure.
Do take weather, sea & swell reports prior venturing out of the bay area.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2016 at 15:21. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] or Edit original post to add reply. Thanks.
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 20:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With Length: 333 mtrs, breadth: 60 mtrs, fully laden draft: 21.3 mtrs, she is mammoth.
Welcome Captain Sahib, how many kms does it take to stop your baby? With that size I guess no one on the high seas messes with you!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th October 2016 at 21:53. Reason: Typo.
Old 12th October 2016, 21:29   #6
BHPian

Hi Kingshuk, welcome to the forum, great reading your intro. There is something fascinating about being in a ship, perhaps it's the Aquarius in me speaking.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th October 2016 at 21:53. Reason: Newbies can't receive PMs + not the right forum to do that.
Old 12th October 2016, 21:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In due course, will post a write up on VLCC Main Engine, right now which is propelling me with 41,772 BHP.
Nice. Sulzer/Wartsila or MAN? Curious to know. These low speed 2 stroke engines are really lazy rolling at 80-120rpm. what Aux. engines does this vessel have?
Old 12th October 2016, 22:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Welcome Captain Sahib, how many kms does it take to stop your baby? With that size I guess no one on the high seas messes with you!
Hi V.Narayan ji, nice to hear that question from you. It used to be our Mates examination question!

Well, let me give you little detailed answer to make you understand. Ship’s engine does not have any gears. Crank shaft can be turned in clock wise for ahead movement and anti-clock wise (by changing piston firing sequence) for astern movement. Now there are two ways a ship can be stopped. Firstly, normal stop. By which you just stop the engine from full ahead to stop. Secondly, emergency stop. Where you put engine from full ahead to full astern (software will take care of all necessary parameter adjustments to avoid any damage to engine).

Stopping distance heavily depends on Ship’s laden condition (draft), size of the ship, wind, current, water depths etc.

Below is our stopping distance in fully laden & fair weather condition:

Normal Stop: 9908 mtrs

Emergency Stop: 3918 mtrs

Coming to your second quarry, there are certain rules needs to be followed to avoid collision in all navigable waters by all vessels. And we are abide by these laws to follow those rules. By law any merchant ships more than 15.0 mtrs draft gets some advantages in restricted waters over other vessels. So we just follow the rules and be safe.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi Kingshuk, welcome to the forum, great reading your intro. There is something fascinating about being in a ship, perhaps it's the Aquarius in me speaking.
Hi digitalnirvana,

Being a newbie can’t send PMs & topic is against board rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Nice. Sulzer/Wartsila or MAN? Curious to know. These low speed 2 stroke engines are really lazy rolling at 80-120rpm. what Aux. engines does this vessel have?
Hi Avi,
Well it is CMD-MAN B&W 7G80ME-C9.1
Aux is: Yanmar, 1200 KW @ 900 rpm X 3 Sets

Cheers!
Sail is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 14:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ship’s engine does not have any gears. Crank shaft can be turned in clock wise for ahead movement and anti-clock wise (by changing piston firing sequence) for astern movement. Now there are two ways a ship can be stopped. Firstly, normal stop. By which you just stop the engine from full ahead to stop. Secondly, emergency stop. Where you put engine from full ahead to full astern (software will take care of all necessary parameter adjustments to avoid any damage to engine).

Stopping distance heavily depends on Ship’s laden condition (draft), size of the ship, wind, current, water depths etc.

Below is our stopping distance in fully laden & fair weather condition:

Normal Stop: 9908 mtrs

Emergency Stop: 3918 mtrs
Thanks for that Capt. I can well imagine the stress on the engine that is braked to a stop and then reversed through the firing sequence. Happy sailing and happy motoring. I have often wondered how much does power output fall on these engines between 15 degrees centigrade and 34 degrees centigrade ambient. A turbo-prop aircraft engine could lose 25% power in that temperature change.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 17:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:

I love scenic photography and be behind the wheel on long drives. In due course, will post a write up on VLCC Main Engine, right now which is propelling me with 41,772 BHP.
Hi Captain Sail,

Welcome aboard

Nice to see people from varied professions joining Teambhp and enlightening us with their knowledge. Eagerly waiting for your VLCC review, as well as your travelogues.
searchingheaven is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks