Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 14:42   #1
BHPian

Here's me hopping onboard

Hello

For those of you who got the F.R.I.E.N.D.S reference in the post title and for those of you who didn't, I am Harikrishna, an engineer by profession.

I work for one of the largest commercial vehicle manufacturers in India and I was dabbling in Vehicle Dynamics for the last few years.

Here's something that's strange. I started to ride a motorcycle before I laid my hands on a scooter. I started to drive a truck before I ever got into the driver's seat of a car.

My first motorcycle is a Kawasaki Bajaj KB100 RTZ (1988) and I have a 2012 Honda CB Unicorn as well. The Hyundai 2018 Elite i20 became a part of our family last month as our first car.

Like many other new members, I have skirted around the egdes of this forum for a really long time and I decided to take the plunge after I bought the i20. Needless to mention, it has been one hell of a learning experience on this forum.

Thanks to the moderators for approving my first ever request and I hope to be a very active part of this wonderful forum.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th May 2018 at 14:44. Reason: Small typo
harikrishna.te is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 14:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Here's me hopping onboard

Welcome aboard Harikrishna. Quite a few of us would love to hear your insights on the commercial vehicle landscape.

Pssst, don't be surprised to find some of your colleagues here
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 14:49   #3
BHPian

re: Here's me hopping onboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Welcome aboard Harikrishna. Quite a few of us would love to hear your insights on the commercial vehicle landscape.

Pssst, don't be surprised to find some of your colleagues here
Thanks moralfibre!

I definitely know that my own colleagues from this industry are very active on this forum through a lot of creative pseudonyms (In fact, I uncovered one just a few minutes ago!).

I would love to share my 2 cents on my experience in the CV industry so far and I also look forward to sponging info off the goldmine that the forum is today.
harikrishna.te is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:06   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Here's me hopping onboard

Welcome Harikrishna! Great to have you with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishna.te View Post
I work for one of the largest commercial vehicle manufacturers in India and I was dabbling in Vehicle Dynamics for the last few years.
We have a very vibrant forum on commercial vehicles (although I guess you've already checked it out). Looking forward to your contributions there. Most of us are interested in trucks & buses, but only a few actually understand them, so it's a learning experience for the rest.

Quote:
I started to drive a truck before I ever got into the driver's seat of a car.
You remind me of our friendly ex-moderator Stratos (the one with a BEST bus as his avatar). I once asked him if given the choice, what would he drive = a new Volvo CV or a Ferrari. With the utmost sincerity, he said 'Volvo'.

Great choice in the Elite i20! IMHO, it's still the benchmark premium hatchback.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Welcome Harikrishna! Great to have you with us.
Thank you!

Quote:
We have a very vibrant forum on commercial vehicles (although I guess you've already checked it out). Looking forward to your contributions there. Most of us are interested in trucks & buses, but only a few actually understand them, so it's a learning experience for the rest.
It's a learning experience for all of us, particularly when we switch over to a 'soft' vehicle from a heavy 'move-aside-or-I'll-mow-you-down' kind of vehicle. Take steering feel for example. Compared to the 50-kgf equivalent steering effort of a heavy truck, the i20 steering wheel seems to move at the slightest gust of wind from my breath!

I eagerly look forward to such attribute based discussions/comparisons!

Quote:
You remind me of our friendly ex-moderator Stratos (the one with a BEST bus as his avatar). I once asked him if given the choice, what would he drive = a new Volvo CV or a Ferrari. With the utmost sincerity, he said 'Volvo'.
He sounds like an absolute trucker! Maybe it's the feeling of utopia that you get when you are the wheel of a vehicle that hauls four such Ferraris with consummate ease!

Quote:
Great choice in the Elite i20! IMHO, it's still the benchmark premium hatchback.
Thanks! Another decision that was aided by the wealth of info available on the forum. Cheers!
harikrishna.te is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 00:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome ! Looks like you could be with AL ?
Quote:
My first motorcycle is a Kawasaki Bajaj KB100 RTZ (1988)
saw the ad for the KB. Brings back memories of my RTZ and the 125. If it had been in BLR, I would have thought about it .. but out of state, no FC etc can be a hassle.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 07:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Welcome ! Looks like you could be with AL ?
saw the ad for the KB. Brings back memories of my RTZ and the 125. If it had been in BLR, I would have thought about it .. but out of state, no FC etc can be a hassle.
Thanks!

I had a couple of enquiries (not from this forum though) and they had the same concerns about the inter-state thing. One of them happened to be in Chennai and took a look at the vehicle and was instantly captivated. FC renewal is not an arduous task here.

I just want to make sure someone else takes care of it well. I wish I had the time to maintain it like many of our fellow BHP-ians.

You had an RTZ as well earlier? Do tell.
harikrishna.te is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just want to make sure someone else takes care of it well.

You had an RTZ as well earlier? Do tell.
That one line says how much you still like that bike !

Yes, a Platinum-Grey RTZ and later a Wine-Red / Maroon 125. Was a beauty .. wish I had one, just for old times sake.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
That one line says how much you still like that bike !

Yes, a Platinum-Grey RTZ and later a Wine-Red / Maroon 125. Was a beauty .. wish I had one, just for old times sake.
Wonderful colors! The original paint layer is still a sight to behold! My uncle, who was the first owner took great care of it, always parking it indoors.

I somehow can't even compare the RX series to the RTZ series. I always feel KB had the upper hand in terms of overall experience.
harikrishna.te is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 10:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful colors! The original paint layer is still a sight to behold! My uncle, who was the first owner took great care of it, always parking it indoors.

I somehow can't even compare the RX series to the RTZ series. I always feel KB had the upper hand in terms of overall experience.
My thoughts too ! The RX was quicker, the HH had FE, but the KB / RTZ was the best package. The styling, the tacho, wider tyres (for that time), longest wheel base of the 100 cc's, and that exhaust note.

My uncle had one from the first batch - with parts from Japan. And that was the first KB I rode.

Last edited by condor : 31st May 2018 at 10:27.
Old 31st May 2018, 10:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
My thoughts too ! The RX was quicker, the HH had FE, but the KB / RTZ was the best package. The styling, the tacho, wider tyres (for that time), longest wheel base of the 100 cc's, and that exhaust note.

My uncle had one from the first batch - with parts from Japan. And that was the first KB I rode.
Yeah the exhaust note. Music to the ears!
Old 6th June 2018, 08:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had a couple of enquiries (not from this forum though) ..
Hari, what happened to the bike ? Saw the updated ad. Just hope it does end up in ... :(
Old 6th June 2018, 10:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hari, what happened to the bike ? Saw the updated ad. Just hope it does end up in ... :(
I updated it because I felt I was putting my need before the bike's. Have a couple of enquiries now.

What did you do with your RTZ though? Were you able to safely hand it over? Or did it suffer?

Last edited by harikrishna.te : 6th June 2018 at 10:48. Reason: Typographical error - corrected
Old 6th June 2018, 11:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What did you do with your RTZ though? Were you able to safely hand it over? Or did it suffer?
My RTZ story ended not happy - after my use in final year BE, my brother used it for a year and suffice to say that the FE dropped from 65kmpl to 36 kmpl. We both moved out of Bangalore, and the bike was sold for a low price.

The KB125 went to my cousin who used it for many years and he still fondly remembers it. In between my uncle ran it with a dry oil tank, and the engine seized. They used it till the spares were no longer available in the taluka place ( near KA-MH border).

I did give a thought to your bike, but the paper work is putting me off. FC and re-registration at Chennai before I transfer it to BLR for a fresh round of paper work - means paying tax twice.
Old 7th June 2018, 15:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
My RTZ story ended not happy - after my use in final year BE, my brother used it for a year and suffice to say that the FE dropped from 65kmpl to 36 kmpl. We both moved out of Bangalore, and the bike was sold for a low price.

The KB125 went to my cousin who used it for many years and he still fondly remembers it. In between my uncle ran it with a dry oil tank, and the engine seized. They used it till the spares were no longer available in the taluka place ( near KA-MH border).

I did give a thought to your bike, but the paper work is putting me off. FC and re-registration at Chennai before I transfer it to BLR for a fresh round of paper work - means paying tax twice.
Spare availability doesn't seem to put off many mechanics, surprisingly!

Regarding the documentation, I have spoken to an agent and he promised to come back with more details. (especially on the inter-state thing). Let's see how it folds out.

When I got the FC and name transfer done in 2009, it cost me somewhere around 3500. This included the general service cost as well since the Bajaj Service Center guy agreed to do the whole documentation himself.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks