Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2019, 18:40   #1
BHPian

Petrolhead from the U.K.

Hi,
fantastic forum, very useful information and contacts. I have been a fan of anything with an "engine" ever since the age of 11 !!! My wife and I spend our "winter" in Arpora, Goa. We stay from November through to March.

We are also avid motorcycle fans, the profile photo was taken on a 3,500 km trip around Europe. The bike is a Honda Valkyrie flat 6 cylinder (boxer) engine of 1520cc, with a top speed of over 210km/h (0 to 100km/h 3.6 sec.) !!!

My car is a 20 year old Ford Explorer 4x4 V6 4.0ltr Auto. I like older cars as I can maintain them myself.

While in India we currently ride a Suzuki 125 Access (1st generation) which I have modified to carry luggage, and tuned it to accelerate faster (no need for top speed). With increasing age, we will need to change to a car at some time. I want to continue to maintain my own vehicles and have the tools in India. I quite like the idea of buying an old Mahindra (CJ Jeep style), although will probably end up buying a Thor.

I have restored many things with "engines", motorcycles, cars, tractors, chainsaws, outboard motors, generators etc. and enjoy the challenge of returning them to another "working" life. The oldest restoration was a 1939 James Autocycle with a 98cc Villiers 2 stroke engine. My latest restoration is a Yamaha 60hp outboard motor, 800cc 2 stoke, complete rebuild, which I use on my boat.

I have very little experience of modern electronic computerized management systems, emissions control etc so enjoy working with vehicles up to the year 200 ish.

I will follow the topics and provide any help I can.
Regards Redex

Last edited by Eddy : 18th August 2019 at 18:42. Reason: spacing for better readability
Redex is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 18:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Petrolhead from the U.K.

Welcome to the forum redex

This is a very interesting introduction and I look forward to lots of posts and threads from your side. But before that please do have a look at the forum rules once.

Thanks and see you around!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th August 2019 at 07:39. Reason: Spacing error
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 21:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Petrolhead from the U.K.

Welcome to the forum, Redex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
I quite like the idea of buying an old Mahindra (CJ Jeep style)
I ... enjoy working with vehicles up to the year 200 ish.
Already implemented in the Delhi-NCR region, and in a year or two, all major cities in India will be forced to scrap non-electronic vehicles (i.e. anything over 15 years old). So it might be a good idea to bring yourself up to speed with
Quote:
modern electronic computerized management systems, emissions control etc.
Cheers, and enjoy your time here.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 23:50   #4
BHPian

Hi SS-Traveller.
Thanks for the info. In the U.K. old vehicles (over 40 years old) are exempt from MOT (annual fitness) test, do not pay any road tax or excise duty, they do not have to pass emissions tests. They are considered "Historic" vehicles and are not subject to any emissions controls at all. London is about to start a "ULEZ" Ultra Low Emissions Zone only Euro 4 petrol and Euro 6 diesels are allowed. But "Historic" vehicles will still be allowed in London without having to pay a fine !!!
Maybe something similar will exist in India ? in time.
Redex
Redex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 06:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
Hi SS-Traveller.
Thanks for the info. In the U.K. old vehicles (over 40 years old) are exempt from MOT (annual fitness) test, do not pay any road tax or excise duty, they do not have to pass emissions tests. They are considered "Historic" vehicles and are not subject to any emissions controls at all. London is about to start a "ULEZ" Ultra Low Emissions Zone only Euro 4 petrol and Euro 6 diesels are allowed. But "Historic" vehicles will still be allowed in London without having to pay a fine !!!
Maybe something similar will exist in India ? in time.
Redex
welcome to the forum. That is some monster of a bike you have. I am glad to see more diversity on our forum coming in gradually. Helps with richness of views. These rules for old vehicles sound so practical. Our rules are a little or of touch I think but I don't know for sure. All the best for your touring holiday on India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed