Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2020, 19:29   #1
BHPian

Hello Team-BHP

Hello everyone,
I'm Vijai from Chennai here, after almost 8 years of being a silent spectator of team-bhp. I'm a Software Engineer (Mobile apps development) by profession and that has been my hobby since class 10. Quite happy and one of the few lucky to take up hobby as a full-time profession! I have also a teeny-tiny company running making teeny-tiny profits (just for self-satisfaction).

I have owned (actually, my dad ) a P180, a P150 (again, dad's), a apache rtr 160 (my friend's who gave it to me to take care of it while he was abroad). Finally, I decided I should buy my own bike and bought a Apache RTR 200 FI BS6 model on Jan 21st. God, the excitement you get when you buy your own bike out of your own pocket the first time! But, the excitement didn't last too long, thanks to TVS's dealerships. Multiple disappointments, multiple heart-breaks. More on that in the ownership thread soon.

P.S: To get a conversation going, what would be the best action camera to mount on helment? My budget would be around ₹10000 or $150.
My requirements would be:
1. Very good battery standby
2. 4K (Native 4k and not upscaled)
3. Wifi capable and be able to fetch videos out from my mobile using wifi connection
4. Preferably waterproof (or atleast splash resistant on heavy rains)
5. A good mic!

I'd be using it to record traffic violators . (A dark secret: I have always thought of starting a youtube channel or a twitter handle to share the violator's video. I hate people who honks on a red signal, goes beyong stop line in signals, drives with cellphone on ear).

That's it from me for intro. Happy to have some ice-breaking convo with my new friends!
vijai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 08:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hello Team-BHP

Welcome to the forum, Vijai!

Congrats on the new bike! There are a lot of threads related to riding here so you'll feel right at home. You'll get plenty advice on riding gear and accessories and everything in between.

The YouTube channel to post traffic violators is a vent for many but do be careful; it could unnecessarily escalate situations.

Look forward to your posts; see you around!
Old 16th February 2020, 08:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijai View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm Vijai from Chennai here, Quite happy and one of the few lucky to take up hobby as a full-time profession! I have also a teeny-tiny company running making teeny-tiny profits (just for self-satisfaction).
Welcome to the forum Vijai! It's indeed great to continue with one's hobby as a profession.

Quote:
Finally, I decided I should buy my own bike and bought a Apache RTR 200 FI BS6 model on Jan 21st. God, the excitement you get when you buy your own bike out of your own pocket the first time! But, the excitement didn't last too long, thanks to TVS's dealerships. Multiple disappointments, multiple heart-breaks. More on that in the ownership thread soon.
Congratulations for your new acquisition. We would definitely like to know what has gone wrong with your ownership experience. Please do pen an ownership report of your bike

Quote:
To get a conversation going, what would be the best action camera to mount on helment? My budget would be around ₹10000 or $150.
There are a few threads on Action cameras on our own forum. I hope you would have gone through them. Raise your query in those threads also, you'll get much better response.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 10:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Vijai. We look forward to your threads and posts
Old 16th February 2020, 11:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Welcome to the forum Vijai!
Thanks a lot!
Quote:
There are a few threads on Action cameras on our own forum. I hope you would have gone through them. Raise your query in those threads also, you'll get a much better response.
Indeed I would be reading! In fact, t-bhp isn't the only place I'm looking for a camera. But, I thought it would be a nice way to grow a topic here with something more than just about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Welcome to the forum Vijai. We look forward to your threads and posts
Thank you Narayan
Old 16th February 2020, 13:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Welcome to the forum, Vijai!

Congrats on the new bike! There are a lot of threads related to riding here so you'll feel right at home. You'll get plenty advice on riding gear and accessories and everything in between.

The YouTube channel to post traffic violators is a vent for many but do be careful; it could unnecessarily escalate situations.

Look forward to your posts; see you around!
Thanks libranof1987! Could you please elaborate on the "escalate situation" part?

P.S: Sorry I missed to reply in my previous comment. I wish VBulletin showed the moderation pending posts to at least the original poster for editing like Xenforo does. Nevertheless, 30mins passed before the post is approved and here I'm with a new reply.
Old 16th February 2020, 17:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't been in the market for an action camera so far, but have noticed that there is Gopro --- and some cheaper alternatives. A bike helmet must be one of the most demanding situations for such a camera, and, of course, its mount must be completely safe. You've made me curious to know if Gopro is the default answer, or if that is just successful marketing.
Old 16th February 2020, 17:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I haven't been in the market for an action camera so far, but have noticed that there is Gopro --- and some cheaper alternatives. A bike helmet must be one of the most demanding situations for such a camera, and, of course, its mount must be completely safe. You've made me curious to know if Gopro is the default answer, or if that is just successful marketing.
Thanks Ginathom! GoPro is THE BEST. Also THE EXPENSIVE action camera. I'm obviously looking for GoPro alternative. Think spending 30k+ to catch offenders is too much overkill :P I have been checking Akaso, Yi, SJCam as alternatives but they miss one or the other unfortunately.
Old 17th February 2020, 03:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

And there was me thinking they must have reduced in price!

By the way, call me Thad!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 23:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have been checking Akaso, Yi, SJCam as alternatives but they miss one or the other unfortunately.
I have tried SJCAM and AKASO EK7000 Pro. They are nowhere close to GoPro. If you are still not convinced I can share some videos taken with GoPro Hero8, Hero7, SJCAM4000 and AKASO EK7000 Pro, you will know the difference immediately. I have made a mistake in not investing in a GoPro and trying my hands on the cheaper ones. DJI Osmo Action is also very good, but expensive as well.
Old 18th February 2020, 11:20   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

I have tried SJCAM and AKASO EK7000 Pro. They are nowhere close to GoPro. If you are still not convinced I can share some videos taken with GoPro Hero8, Hero7, SJCAM4000 and AKASO EK7000 Pro, you will know the difference immediately. I have made a mistake in not investing in a GoPro and trying my hands on the cheaper ones. DJI Osmo Action is also very good, but expensive as well.
Indeed! I know GoPro is the best in the market hands down. But I'm not into action camera stuffs. As I told it would be to record violators only and a recreational dash cam. A decent 4k video, a good water resistance without case plus a good mic (important since it should mask the cross winds) would do tbh.

tl;Dr: I feel there is no point in spending so much given the requirement.
Old 18th February 2020, 11:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S: To get a conversation going, what would be the best action camera to mount on helment? My budget would be around ₹10000 or $150.
Let me tell you from experience, please go for the best. I was using SJcam and lots of Chinese copies by nothing beats the real deal. In 2018, GoPro was selling Hero camera (no suffix like 5,6,7..) for around 10k, I picked it up on amazon. Turns out it was nothing but Hero 5 software locked. Downloaded the firmware for Hero 5 Black and bingo, I was right.

If you want a good deal, ask friends / acquaintances in US, UK etc. to look for deals on Hero Session / Hero 5 (new, used both). Also, they have a really good no questions asked warranty support. I ended up breaking the clasp to the frame, and I sent an email saying its my fault, but what can be done? The next day I get a mail saying replacement is sent via AWB xxxx from Hong Kong. Only negative I would say is poor battery life (sub 2 hr) and expensive accessories.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 12:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Let me tell you from experience, please go for the best. I was using SJcam and lots of Chinese copies by nothing beats the real deal. In 2018, GoPro was selling Hero camera (no suffix like 5,6,7..) for around 10k, I picked it up on amazon. Turns out it was nothing but Hero 5 software locked. Downloaded the firmware for Hero 5 Black and bingo, I was right.

If you want a good deal, ask friends / acquaintances in US, UK etc. to look for deals on Hero Session / Hero 5 (new, used both). Also, they have a really good no questions asked warranty support. I ended up breaking the clasp to the frame, and I sent an email saying its my fault, but what can be done? The next day I get a mail saying replacement is sent via AWB xxxx from Hong Kong. Only negative I would say is poor battery life (sub 2 hr) and expensive accessories.
Interesting! They have international warranty? Might look for used then. But doubt if it would be any better deal than a new if the used is put up with warranty still left.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks