Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 22:02   #1
SSO
BHPian

Hi Team-BHP

Thank you for letting me join your community and much appreciate the mods approving my membership. This looks like a terrific place and great community.

Im a supercar enthusiast who has lived in multiple different countries and traveled extensively. My car history ranges from the fairly mundane (VW Rabbit) to the fairly esoteric (Koenigsegg CCR) with quite a bit in-between including a few Ferraris, Porsches, McLarens, & Maseratis. I wrote a column on our cars for EVO Magazine in the UK a few years back and have since transitioned that to a small family blog.

On top of the interest in cars, I also do a bit of skiing and sailing.

Two of my most memorable drives were driving 3 Swiss alpine passes in one day and doing 1000 miles in a day driving from Montana to Texas.
SSO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 00:46   #2
BHPian

Re: Hi Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSO View Post
Thank you for letting me join your community and much appreciate the mods approving my membership. This looks like a terrific place and great community.
Welcome to Team-BHP!

Quote:
Im a supercar enthusiast who has lived in multiple different countries and traveled extensively. My car history ranges from the fairly mundane (VW Rabbit) to the fairly esoteric (Koenigsegg CCR)with quite a bit in-between including a few Ferraris, Porsches, McLarens, & Maseratis. I wrote a column on our cars for EVO Magazine in the UK a few years back and have since transitioned that to a small family blog.
What was the experience of dealing with Koenigsegg like? I hear the CCR was plagued with reliability issues which were fixed in its successor, the Agera.

You’re the 2nd Koenigsegg owner here, a member based in San Francisco currently has a Jesko on order.

Going by your profile, you have quite an interesting garage! I see you quite like McLarens. If I’m not mistaken, the Senna is a car McLaren allocated only to their most loyal customers. Have you ever visited the Technology Centre in Woking? I believe Senna customers were invited there to personally spec their cars.

See you on the forum

Last edited by Shrayus_shirali : 21st December 2020 at 01:06.
Shrayus_shirali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 00:59   #3
SSO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrayus_shirali View Post
What was the experience of dealing with Koenigsegg like? I hear the CCX was plagued with reliability issues which were fixed in its successor, the Agera.

You’re the 2nd Koenigsegg owner here, a member based in San Francisco currently has a Jesko on order.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Koenigsegg was actually quite easy to deal with. Nice people. I never had any issues with my CCR but it was a handful to drive. Not the most polished thing.

I did spec both the P1 & Senna at the McLaren Technology Center. I've been there multiple times and in fact we used to live about 15 minutes away from the MTC. Its also only 20 minutes from Heathrow Airport so easy to go stop by when flying into London. The MTC is cleaner than most hospitals I have visited.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd December 2020 at 02:29. Reason: Quote trimmed.
SSO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 13:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Koenigsegg was actually quite easy to deal with. Nice people. I never had any issues with my CCR but it was a handful to drive. Not the most polished thing.
I've heard it's a handful to drive from the few reviews I've come across. Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear tested the CCX back in 2006, The Stig even crashed it when trying to set a lap.

I know it's an odd question, but did you ever try daily driving it or using it on a road trip?

Quote:
I did spec both the P1 & Senna at the McLaren Technology Center. I've been there multiple times and in fact we used to live about 15 minutes away from the MTC. Its also only 20 minutes from Heathrow Airport so easy to go stop by when flying into London. The MTC is cleaner than most hospitals I have visited.
Did you also own a P1 at some point of time? That's my personal favourite from the holy trinity

Why did you sell it? was it not being driven enough? The Dupont registry currently has 5 P1s listed for sale and all of them have done less than 3,000 miles, so I assume most owners buy them and flip them for profit.
Shrayus_shirali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 19:44   #5
SSO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrayus_shirali View Post
I've heard it's a handful to drive from the few reviews I've come across. Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear tested the CCX back in 2006, The Stig even crashed it when trying to set a lap.
Why did you sell it? was it not being driven enough? The Dupont registry currently has 5 P1s listed for sale and all of them have done less than 3,000 miles, so I assume most owners buy them and flip them for profit.
We did road trip in the CCR a couple of times but just for overnighters. The lack of luggage space was a major drawback and limited what we could use the Koenigsegg for. On Top Gear and the CCX crash, Clarkson isn't that great a driver and the Stig crashing it was really due to pushing a car in conditions it was not designed for.

Reason we sold the P1 had more to do with the ticking time bomb that is the battery than anything else (I wrote an article on it). I used to travel 70% of the time and if you lost power, the battery charger died and the battery could go flat. If it happened is was a US $120k bill. On the low mileage and flippers, my guess would be that's half the issue, the other half is owners who really weren't comfortable driving the P1 and therefore sold them.

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd December 2020 at 02:29. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant portions of posts only. Thanks!
SSO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 23:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum SSO. Glad to have you here.

Do share pictures of your supercars. Ownership reviews would be nice to read and unique.

From your post, I assume that you no longer have the CCR? What have you replaced that with?

Looking forward to reading your posts for more information and background on these rare cars.

Also, please share links to your articles on the cars written for EVO and about the battery issue with the P1.

Last edited by ChiragM : 21st December 2020 at 23:51.
Old 22nd December 2020, 01:12   #7
SSO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Also, please share links to your articles on the cars written for EVO and about the battery issue with the P1.
Attached is a shot of the McLarens. There are ownership reviews on all our cars on karenable

We sold the CCR years ago (ironically it is for sale again at a dealer in the UK). I replaced it with a much more partical Ferrari 430 Scuderia and Ferrari 612.

Im afraid there are no links to the EVO articles as they all appeared in the print edition of the magazine. I think there are some references on EVOs Facebook feedback but you would need to dig for them. On the P1, here's the article on the battery issue: Why we sold the McLaren P1

Hi Team-BHP-spiders-senna056.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd December 2020 at 02:30. Reason: Quote trimmed. Picture inserted in-line.
SSO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Really, what's a forum gotta do to get an F40 review?! :P

Welcome aboard!
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 03:47   #9
SSO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Really, what's a forum gotta do to get an F40 review?! :P

Welcome aboard!
Thanks. This is a good place to be.

I've already done a few F40 reviews.

This was from when I originally bought the F40 and drove it across Europe Acquiring the F40 & 1st Road Trip

Taking the F40 back to Maranello for the 20th Anniversary: F40 20th Anniversary Event at Ferrari

and what its like to live with: Living with the F40

and there are a few others posted on the site. Right now the F40 is off getting the engine and turbos rebuilt.
SSO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 03:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and there are a few others posted on the site. Right now the F40 is off getting the engine and turbos rebuilt.
Have you thought of replacing your fuel bladders with the USDM 'aloominum' fuel tanks? There's some talk about the bladders degrading, most famously during that Monaco fire. Just wondering, because it amazed me that the spec for such a basic component could differ so much!

Quote:
We sold the CCR years ago (ironically it is for sale again at a dealer in the UK). I replaced it with a much more partical Ferrari 430 Scuderia and Ferrari 612.
Yours wasn't a vivid green/yellow colour, was it? Also, how is the 612? It was really unloved when it launched, I remember (never really knew why!) but it seems to be having a sort of used-car renaissance now.
v1p3r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 03:31   #11
SSO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Have you thought of replacing your fuel bladders with the USDM 'aloominum' fuel tanks? There's some talk about the bladders degrading, most famously during that Monaco fire. Just wondering, because it amazed me that the spec for such a basic component could differ so much!

Yours wasn't a vivid green/yellow colour, was it? Also, how is the 612? It was really unloved when it launched, I remember (never really knew why!) but it seems to be having a sort of used-car renaissance now.
On the F40 fuel tanks. Only the US Spec cars originally came with the aluminum tanks due to US regulations. Mine is a Euro spec (originally delivered in Italy) F40 so has the bag tanks. The bag tanks are actually safer in an accident so my intention is to stay with them. Most of the issues with bag tanks are related to people using 3rd party tanks that dont fit right as the OEM Ferrari bags are $$$.

On the CCR, it was bright green. Only Koenigsegg ever produced in that color.

I really liked the 612. Elegant long distance GT that didn't mind be hustled.
SSO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 21:29   #12
BHPian

Is this your Koenigsegg CCR? There’s only 2 listed for sale in the UK and this is the only one in this colour -
Year: 2005
Address: Super Vettura, London Road
Mileage: 7800 mi (12553 km)
Color: Green
Condition: Used

Options ticked -
Finished in Bespoke Koenigsegg Racing Green, the racing colour of Jesko Koenigsegg and the only Koenigsegg to be finished in this colour.

2005 Registered
7,800 Miles
Manual Transmission
Black Hide and Alcantara Interior
Green Stitching
Lap Timer
Bespoke Split Rear Wing Unique to this car
Bespoke Painted Wheels
Bespoke Lower Fairings in Black

Hi Team-BHP-a4d5c872782440d6a1bbf841ecd99c0a.jpeg

Hi Team-BHP-0eb1a0a0adde4188924767a31f976b9b.jpeg

Hi Team-BHP-31e1bbbe72404528945a2cb406d3846c.jpeg

Hi Team-BHP-2d17354a48e446eea93d54ac341d596d.jpeg

Hi Team-BHP-e7eb4f7ae0074efd9fe09e787060dbeb.jpeg

It says ‘price on request’ which must be their way of saying serious customers only. Another CCR with 16K miles on the clock is on sale with an asking price of 1.3 million dollars

https://www.jamesedition.com/cars/ko...-sale-10770530
Darkviper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:02   #13
SSO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkviper View Post
Is this your Koenigsegg CCR? There’s only 2 listed for sale in the UK and this is the only one in this colour -
Year: 2005
Address: Super Vettura, London Road
Mileage: 7800 mi (12553 km)
Color: Green
Condition: Used

Options ticked -
Finished in Bespoke Koenigsegg Racing Green, the racing colour of Jesko Koenigsegg and the only Koenigsegg to be finished in this colour.

2005 Registered
7,800 Miles
Manual Transmission
Black Hide and Alcantara Interior
Green Stitching
Lap Timer
Bespoke Split Rear Wing Unique to this car
Bespoke Painted Wheels
Bespoke Lower Fairings in Black

Attachment 2106768

Attachment 2106769

Attachment 2106770

Attachment 2106771

Attachment 2106772

It says ‘price on request’ which must be their way of saying serious customers only. Another CCR with 16K miles on the clock is on sale with an asking price of 1.3 million dollars

https://www.jamesedition.com/cars/ko...-sale-10770530
Yes, that is my old Koenigsegg CCR. It has been for sale for years now. Bit of a bizarre situation, the price keeps getting raised even though it hasn't sold. It was a fun car to own but not very polished.
SSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I believe I may have met you with the CCR in 2013 or 2014 at a track day at the Castle Combe Circuit - did you have it then or was it sold already to the next owner? Sweet ride!
Old 11th January 2021, 22:40   #15
SSO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I believe I may have met you with the CCR in 2013 or 2014 at a track day at the Castle Combe Circuit - did you have it then or was it sold already to the next owner? Sweet ride!
It wasn't me. I parted with the CCR in 2012. Also Castle Combe is one of the circuits I never made it to in the UK.
SSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks