Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 20:33   #1
BHPian

Hello Team-BHP

Hello everyone!

I am excited to be a part of this group. Team-BHP has so far been the hallmark site for me for many reasons related to automobiles and driving. While I do not know most people here personally, but many of you I am already familiar with through your posts and logs, etc. And therefore, an even greater delight in now being officially absorbed as a part of the forum.

Sharing a bit about me in the spirit of (brevity is not my forte, so please pull over if you feel sleepy). I started driving not so long ago in 2008, mostly as a rebellion against the gender-bias that has dominated driving in India's hinterlands (or even cities). Had my first car - a Maruti WagonR and I engaged the sweet Maruti uncle to teach me to drive for the first time - my route mostly being from Delhi to Gurgaon. Came across some really chivalrous gentlemen (read: Delhi Gabrus) whose kind offer to park my car I had to politely refuse to be able to learn to drive on my own. In 2011, the WagonR made its way from Delhi to Kolkata via the Kanpur Highway (the Taj ExpressWay was still in the works and the Lucknow Expressway was not conceived perhaps).

I now own a VW Polo 1.2 - primarily my love for well-built cars - and the fact that it allows me to get around pretty well. My dog, Nemo, is my favorite travel companion, and one may tire out from my constant yapping about him.

Have had a couple of good driving mentors along the way. As far as technically sound driving is concerned though, I know I am far from it - but quite an enthu-cutlet to learn. The more I learn or engage with better drivers, I look back at my naive little 2008 self and wink at her insolence!

I am a travel buff - was baptised into traveling as a one-year-old to Manali/Rohtang La. So mostly, my parents are to blame for my footlooseness. I like to write (for myself) the same way some people may like to smoke - in stress and in happiness, for better or for worse. Love driving around Delhi at all odd hours and odd seasons (and now in Kolkata as well). Travel, driving, and writing, therefore, offer perfect getaways for me.

Looking forward to meaningful exchanges in the Forum and in person.

With warm regards
Sukanya
Attached Thumbnails
Hello Team-BHP-photo.jpg  

DogNDamsel12 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 20:43   #2
BHPian

re: Hello Team-BHP

Hey Sukanya,
Welcome to Team BHP. Nemo seems like an absolute cutie
Hope to see you around the forums.
Regards,
Sreesh
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 20:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Hey Sukanya,
Welcome to Team BHP. Nemo seems like an absolute cutie
Hope to see you around the forums.
Thank you Sreesh for the warm welcome! Nemo woofed hearing your comment
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 00:14   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNDamsel12 View Post
I now own a VW Polo 1.2 - primarily my love for well-built cars - and the fact that it allows me to get around pretty well. My dog, Nemo, is my favorite travel companion, and one may tire out from my constant yapping about him.
Welcome to the forum!

Do post a review of your VW Polo 1.2 in the reviews section whenever you get time.

Do go through the forum rules too. Welcome once again.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 20:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hello Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogNDamsel12 View Post
While I do not know most people here personally, but many of you I am already familiar with through your posts and logs, etc. And therefore, an even greater delight in now being officially absorbed as a part of the forum.
Hello Sukanya, welcome to Team Bhp.

I saw your name in the 17th Jan, Kolkata Team-Bhp meet thread and here is your introduction post! Looking forward to meet you and Nemo both on 17th.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 20:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Hello Sukanya, welcome to Team Bhp.

I saw your name in the 17th Jan, Kolkata Team-Bhp meet thread and here is your introduction post! Looking forward to meet you and Nemo both on 17th.
Thank you Samba for the warm welcome. Looking forward to meet you and the team.

Cheers!
DogNDamsel12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

So finally, Sukanya makes her debut on teambhp. This girl is a paradox. She has the essential skills that a long distance driver (in fact any driver) should possess, just isn't aware of it. She wasn't aware she can drive rally until she won the first prize in a TSD event. But let me narrate my experience.

During the lockdown last year, at one point I felt caged up in Noida. Office was WFH, maids and cooks were absent, and the comfort of home and company of parents (in Kolkata) beckoned. Flights and trains were not running, and the home ministry had just allowed interstate travel. So driving down was the only option. I would be accompanied by my German Shepherd.

Sukanya was in a similar dilemma. Stuck alone in Delhi with a dog etc etc. When I told her of my plan, she said she wanted to do the trip together. 2 cars, 2 dogs, 2 drivers.

Truth be told, I was wary of taking her along. Delhi to Kolkata is 1500 kms, no joke for a driver not accustomed to do long distances. Have had many past instances of driving with people who talk too much but can't take the strain. But she persisted, and I couldn't say no. So necessary permissions and tests done, we set out.

Sukanya proved to be an ace driver. This was my toughest Kolkata trip in 8 years of doing this circuit, with roads in Bihar and Jharkhand being at their worst. And intermittent rain greeting us throughout. Where my best time is 20 hours (in 2014) this time it took 29 hours! But Sukanya kept up with me throughout the trip. At one point she got ahead of me at Sherghati (Bihar) where I took a diversion and got stuck. She was 1.5 hours ahead of me by the time I extricated myself from the mess. We kept on cell contact, and she consciously drove slower (than me) through the day until I caught up with her 100 kms from Kolkata. By this time I was exhausted. She was still smiling. Made me wonder who the more expert (in terms of years of driving OR experience of this route) actually was! Some pics, all clicked by Sukanya.

Rolfie (my German Shepherd)

Hello Team-BHP-1610262470742.jpg

Nemo (Her Labrador)

Hello Team-BHP-1610262470723.jpg

The truck is caked with mud after a burst of rain

Hello Team-BHP-1610262470685.jpg

As is the Polo.

Hello Team-BHP-1610262470704.jpg

Big man next to big car

Hello Team-BHP-1610262470666.jpg

Little powerhouse next to, errr, little powerhouse.

Hello Team-BHP-1610262470647.jpg

She did the return trip from Kolkata a month after I did. Then again drove down to Kolkata, where she is now stationed. Welcome to Teambhp Sukanya. Draw out your old pics and enrich us with your travelogues of damsel and dog.
predatorwheelz is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 15:10   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheel View Post
So finally, Sukanya makes her debut on teambhp. This girl is a paradox. She has the essential skills that a long distance driver (in fact any driver) should possess, just isn't aware of it. She wasn't aware she can drive rally until she won the first prize in a TSD event. But let me narrate my experience.
Woohoo, @predatorwheelz. And happy to connect with someone who I know by face and have had the pleasure to travel together. This travel back and forth was a good outcome of the lockdown.

Quite the intro, and making it look like a lot more than I was expecting. Certainly feel encouraged to post more.

Thanks for the egging me on to join here. Lovely group where I am certainly hoping to learn a lot.

That tea break at Shaktiganj was really a relief to get you back leading the way. Realised was getting exhausted. The next time around I tried to cover the stretch really quickly, knowing how I may get tired.

Rolfie is awesome! He pulled down the handbrake like a pro but truly will be one of my most memorable tours.

Happy that we travelled together. And hoping to travel a lot more together with you and the rest of the group.

Cheers!

P.S. ignore and excuse the poor grammar, if any, in the above text.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 25th January 2021 at 21:03. Reason: More than 2 smileys. Thanks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks