Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2007, 17:10   #1

my kingdom for an old beauty

h'llo everyone
Im a 22 year old electronics engineer from delhi and drive a 2000 Hyundai santro . Its my first car and my dad bought it for me when i got my license so i love it dearly. The absence of power steering can however be a pain sometimes.
I came to know about team BHP while googling stuff. I was pleasntly surprised to find that everyone who was posting seemed to be a genuine 'petrolhead'.
Ive been an automobile enthusiast for as long as i can remember and want to ultimately pursue a career which includes cars and travelling. Still figuring out how to go about it though.
Lately i have been obsessed with buying and restoring an old or vintage car. I had initially hoped to get a 60's beetle but i have realised it will not be easy finding one. Even if i do find one it is going to be frikkin expensive restoring it considering that spares were never manufactured in India and ill have to import them. The cost involved for a struggling engineer is just going to be prohibitively large.
What i have come up with is buying a 50s or 60s fiat 'millicento' (the predecessor to the once ubiquitous premier padmini. What i am presuming is the spares of the premier padmini will be by and large compatible with it. is this correct? One other area of concern for me is the emission norms in delhi. Can i buy and register a 50s or 60s car considering they will not be even close to fulfilling todays norms. or are really old cars exempt from them?
What do you think will be the total cost incurred to buy and restore one of these beuties? can anyone suggest a good place to start scouting for them in Delhi?
Old 14th September 2007, 17:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard! I think you should bookmark this section...it will be of particular interest to you.

Please do also read the board rules to familiarise yourself with our forum protocol. See ya around.
Old 14th September 2007, 18:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

welcome raikonnen! enjoy your stay here.

i am sure the following sections will be of much interest to you.

1. A Restoration Project

2. Few Restored Padminis in NCR

3. Modded Padminis

4. Tips by Mr. Dhabhar

have a great time going through these

Last edited by planet_rocker : 14th September 2007 at 18:38.
Old 15th September 2007, 13:05   #4

thanks guys
am beginning to enjoy myself already
Old 15th September 2007, 15:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard raikkonen.!

Have a pleasant stay here.
Old 17th September 2007, 00:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Howdy, welcome aboard. You'll find everything you asked for and much more on the links above. Take your time going through the entire section, it carries a treasure trove of information. Starting out with an old Fiat is the smart way to go, and do keep us posted on your developments. Make sure you go through the announcement section and rules as well.

Happy motoring.
Cheers
Karl
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks