Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2007, 04:53   #1
BHPian

Hello. I am honoured to be a member.

Dear Team BHP-ians,

Thanks for letting me into your family (or should I say, forum). I am Ajish (BurningHeart was the song I was listening to when I created the ID). I work with one of the software giants in the UK as a Lead Consultant (that doesn’t make me a good writer but I will give it a try. My grand apologies if this turns out to be the worst intro on this forum).

I have been here in the UK for a while (read: donkeys years) to figure out that India is indeed 'Mera Bharat Mahan'. Looking forward to the trip back home (read: Crazy, Nutty, Crappy Bangalore) in March '08.

I am happily married to a doctor who has now returned to India (Trivandrum) to complete her studies (that is not exactly why I said "happily married"). She says, in addition to the platelets, there are other substances found in my blood: great cars, broken roads, traces of petrol and the like. We're in violent agreement on this view of her's.

I have a 2.5 year old son who is eminently fond of cars (he makes me quite proud really). Once he gets into a nice car, one just can’t get him out (of the drivers' seat!). A sleepy neighbour had to help, one of these afternoons to make peace.

I am about 32 if you ask me (I look half that age, funnily!). I worked with Pepsi for a long time in India. I spent a lot of time in Delhi. I have driven a few cars in the past starting with a very lucky white M800 (it was snug like a glove back then in 1999), then a truly sexy ZEN and then a stunning panther black Ikon 1.6 SXI. I drove these cars all over N.India from Delhi to Waaga Border to Jaisalmer to Orchha, Shimla and Manali. In the height of insanity, I went to Nalanda once and literally got stripped of all worldly possessions enroute (including the T's i wore that day! - that is another story someday I shall tell you). We sold the Zen and the Ikon, before we left India.

In the UK, driving is a real pleasure (it has to be with the average speed of 60 mph – twice that of most Indian roads) and the new 1.9 CDTi 120 BHP Diesel Vectra (black) is my current car. I drove a Skoda Octy (the Indian Laura - what a lousy name?) and the new shape Vauxhall Zafira for some time in the UK. Never owned a Mondeo (but recently rented the new one which almost moved like a Beemer – very engaging it was) but it is also a fav car!

I am very fond of cars and motoring. Follow F1 and WRC very closely. Great fan of Nigel Mansell, Lewis Hamilton, Kimi, Solberg and MS. I am hoping to do a few laps in an F430 in Silverstone before getting back to India ;-) But I am not quite hungry for speed (the highest is only about 170 kmph so far in the Vectra – and did it just once). But a lot of my friends do think I am a very dependable driver (recently someone made me drive overnight to Heathrow to drop his mom off in an emergency! – being a cabbie can be a great job some day). I probably want to keep it that way.

One more thing: I am extremely conventional when it comes to cars. For instance, I don’t like hybrids, I do like exhaust notes, I do like conventional shapes (OHC is good, NHC is tasteless – some people say timeless!), I like saloons and I hate hatches, I love donuts, I love handling over comfort, I don’t like speed cameras, I love safety kit, I do like 80 rock n’ roll (in a much newer car!), I just can’t stand foolish drivers, I do love SUVs, I love driving in the mountains to driving in plains, I like diesel as much as I like petrol and I share a lot of views of Jeremy (and topgear uk in general) about cars. The only unconventional thing in my motoring life is my love for Sat-Navs.

I have the following things to do in India (you opinion will be invaluable and that’s one of the reasons why I joined you folks):

1. Need a replacement for wife's M800 (1987). It was rarely used and I guess it can only be used very rarely now!! Looking at Spark. Any suggestions?

2. Expecting the second baby in May ‘08, so it would be wise to buy a 7 seater. I am looking at Safari 2.2 VTT. I had driven a colleague’s Safari (the old 80 bhp TD) and liked it in 2004. But after reading your comments, I am sort of scared to say the least –really. Amongst cars, (white) SX4 looks nice but then it seems really like a 4 seater (a Jetta would be better actually when launched). I am quite confused to be honest but I do have some time. Guys, is Safari X2 expected soon?

Well, I guess it is time to sign off (and save you guys from an extremely boring intro).

Wish you all a very successful NY (it should be better because I won’t be writing another long intro in 2008!!)

BurningHeart.
Old 30th December 2007, 08:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
1. Need a replacement for wife's M800 (1987). It was rarely used and I guess it can only be used very rarely now!! Looking at Spark. Any suggestions?
Spark hasn't been a sales success for GM, and even a 50k (for a 3L base car!) discount did not help. I would suggest you to look at the Hyundai i10 instead.
Quote:
2. Expecting the second baby in May ‘08, so it would be wise to buy a 7 seater. I am looking at Safari 2.2 VTT. I had driven a colleague’s Safari (the old 80 bhp TD) and liked it in 2004. But after reading your comments, I am sort of scared to say the least –really. Amongst cars, (white) SX4 looks nice but then it seems really like a 4 seater (a Jetta would be better actually when launched). I am quite confused to be honest but I do have some time. Guys, is Safari X2 expected soon?
Many people have put their money on the 2.2. So, you should be able to get initial reports before you make a decision in May.
Old 30th December 2007, 10:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Now that was a nice intro!! Ajish welcome to the forum! As for all your questions, they are too many for the intro thread, so come around to the correct sections & we'll love to help you out with them. Have fun around here!!

P.S. A travelogue on the getting stripped story should be fun to read too, looking forward to it!!
Old 30th December 2007, 10:28   #4
BHPian

That was truly a fantastic intro Ajish. Welcome to TBHP.
Old 30th December 2007, 11:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

Missed the trivandrum part.

Welcome to TVM team-bhp!
Old 30th December 2007, 11:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Terrific intro there - Welcome to Team BHP!

Quote:
I work with one of the software giants in the UK .
They actually have software firms in that part of the world? Good to see they're learning a bit from the civilized world

Quote:
Looking forward to the trip back home (read: Crazy, Nutty, Crappy Bangalore) in March '08.
Welcome to Chaos. I wish you all the best.

Quote:
In the height of insanity, I went to Nalanda once and literally got stripped of all worldly possessions enroute (including the T's i wore that day! - that is another story someday I shall tell you).
Please ! We're looking forward to that one!

Quote:
i10 is the flavour of the day. Perhaps you want to take a look at it, and maybe some of the slightly bigger hatches around.

Quote:
2. Expecting the second baby in May ‘08, so it would be wise to buy a 7 seater. I am looking at Safari 2.2 VTT. I had driven a colleague’s Safari (the old 80 bhp TD) and liked it in 2004. But after reading your comments, I am sort of scared to say the least –really.
There are enough naysayers around when it comes to Tata vehicles because of various factors that we wont go into here - many of them havent even driven one, but if you go through the posts here there are many (over 2 dozen) that have put their money where their mouth is and bought the 2.2. Talk to them.
Old 30th December 2007, 12:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Burning Heart, welcome to Team-BHP.

Quote:
2. Expecting the second baby in May ‘08, so it would be wise to buy a 7 seater. I am looking at Safari 2.2 VTT. I had driven a colleague’s Safari (the old 80 bhp TD) and liked it in 2004.
Why do you need a 7 seater for just 2 kids. Unless you need to accommodate parents or other friends/relatives frequently, any 5 seater sedan/SUV or even hatch should handle a family of four easily. I am a father of two, so I know it by experience. But look at high seating sedan/hatch/SUV, low seating is a problem when loading/unloading infants from the vehicle.

Now if you are insistent on 7 seater, the last row on almost all SUVs are a joke really. Then you have only one real choice, Innova. Since you are extremely conventional when it comes to cars, the mini-van look of Innova shouldn't bother you at all.
Old 30th December 2007, 12:35   #8
BHPian

Good Introduction burning heart. Welcome to T-BHP.

I concur with samurai with Samurai on Innova, If you are looking for a decently big family car.

i10 would be a good replacement for the M800.

Cheers
Old 30th December 2007, 17:08   #9
BHPian

Thank you.

Thanks everyone for the comments and it feels nice to be a part. So its i10 and Innova added to the consideration set then. Good. Was surprised to hear about Spark though.

There is a minor problem with i10 though: it's a little bit more wide than what my wife is comfortable maneuvering into the alley that leads to her house. Lets see. And I guess, it is not VFM car or is that?

(Sorry, it seems like I am asking questions in the wrong place on the forum. @mods: Forgive me!)

Cheers!
Old 30th December 2007, 17:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Terrific intro there - Welcome to Team BHP!
They actually have software firms in that part of the world? Good to see they're learning a bit from the civilized world
Ha ha ha. Well, they just keep learning but don't do anything much with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
There are enough naysayers around when it comes to Tata vehicles because of various factors that we wont go into here - many of them havent even driven one, but if you go through the posts here there are many (over 2 dozen) that have put their money where their mouth is and bought the 2.2. Talk to them.
Thanks Steer. I am sure you're correct. It can not be that bad after these many iterations. Thanks Crazy for your opinion too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Missed the trivandrum part.
Welcome to TVM team-bhp!
Thanks Crazy. Will check out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am a father of two, so I know it by experience. But look at high seating sedan/hatch/SUV, low seating is a problem when loading/unloading infants from the vehicle.
Good note Samurai. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
P.S. A travelogue on the getting stripped story should be fun to read too, looking forward to it!!
Alright! Will pop a few rums to get into the skin (of the story I mean)!!
Old 31st December 2007, 10:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ajish,

Welcome mate. Nice intro there.

Why don't you consider the Santro A/T for the small hatch ? If wifey is going to driving about in the chaotic traffic here ?

And yes Innova would be the best for a 5-7 seater.

have fun.
Old 31st December 2007, 11:23   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a minor problem with i10 though: it's a little bit more wide than what my wife is comfortable maneuvering into the alley that leads to her house. Lets see. And I guess, it is not VFM car or is that?
I feel dimensions are very much comparable to Santro/Spark league.
Old 31st December 2007, 11:32   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Why don't you consider the Santro A/T for the small hatch ? If wifey is going to driving about in the chaotic traffic here ?
Read here in one of the threads that Santro AT has been discontinued. And i10 AT will be launched next year.
Old 31st December 2007, 12:36   #14
BHPian

hi everyone wonderful forum this where people can share their expertise ..and by the way why arent my messages coming up instantly are they moderated
Old 31st December 2007, 13:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
hi everyone wonderful forum this where people can share their expertise ..and by the way why arent my messages coming up instantly are they moderated
Buddy, all the newbie's messages are moderated for some time. To be precise 50 posts, so have a lil bit of patience and enjoy.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks