Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 10:41   #1
BHPian

Musa - looking for support on a mobile home-office project :-))

Hi All at BHP,

My name is Musa R Kaiser, based in Bangalore.

I am (was) a doctor, MBBS, MD and then gave that all up to get into financial services. So now I am stock broker, financial advisor and conduct training programmes on investing & trading for the public and at corporates. On the car front, I currently own a Baleno (which I just love).

I landed up on BHP when I was surfing through Google for info on a project that I am working and I am so grateful that BHP is there, and I soooo wish I had found you all earlier!

You see I like to travel but staying away from work can be pretty painful as something or the other is cooking in the stock markets on a regular basis - and I love my work. So I decided to do the next best thing, take my work with me - all I need are my laptops and a good internet connection.

Now to put all this together, this is want I want to do and I am looking for lots of help on this: I am thinking of getting myself a Tempo (Force) Traveller and converting into a mobile home - office. Here is what I need inside:

1. A place for 3-6 laptops.
2. Additional space for 3-6 17" or 19" TFT screens.
3. A place for 6 (or more) to sit / relax / sleep.
4. AC the vehicle.
5. A decent audio - video system (for the family).
6. I need a very reliable Internet connection that I can use ANYWHERE - and for that I am thinking the best way to go is to put a VSAT dish on top of the vehicle (like they have for all the news vans).
7. A generator & a micro cooking station - if possible.
8. Any other additions to make the whole thing as convenient and easy to use as possible.

My dream is to see a lot of India in this vehicle - along with my family, friends and work

If anyone has done anything partially or fully like the above, I would love to interact with them and take their advise. Requesting support on the above and advise on how best go about it.

Thank you so much and many thanks to Team-BHP for creating this community.

Wishes & Riches,

Musa.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:24   #2
BHPian

Hi Musa

Here are my thoughts.

A Force Traveller - even the extended CAB version might be a tight fit 6 People with the kind of Gear you are looking to carry. I would probably suggest a small bus like the eicher one. I see some new models made by Jaico running in the Airports based on Eicher buses.

Pro's - You will have larger space
Con's - I think you will need a dedicated driver for this setup.
If you have the money- Dilip Chabria Creations can make you one. I am not a fan of his designs , but his caravans are functional and he has the know how to make one.

Regarding the Internet Connection- I had a suggestion. BSNL is running trials on the EVDO service in Bangalore and other parts of india . EVDO speeds are in the 2 mbps (Max) range. I have heard people getting 500-800 Kbps speeds which is the broadband speeds we get on home dsl lines. You can get each computer an individual one and i guess it will be still cheaper than the Vsat setup.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you have enough money, you can get one done for you from DC. Can you import a winnebago from U.S ? I dont know what the price difference would be.

For data you certainly need a VSAT. EVDO or any similar cellular technology will have lot of coverage issues (especially in India).
Old 10th April 2008, 15:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

For internet access, what you need is Satellite broadband. But I havent heard of anyone offering it in India or about anyone using it in a mobile vehicle.

Even VSAT, I doubt you can use it in a mobile vehicle.
Old 10th April 2008, 23:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

Hi Musa,

Welcome aboard!
There are quite a few threads on "car pcs", but i guess what you want is in a different league. Check those out nonetheless - there might be some good bits of info in there.

Why do you need 3-6 laptops? Im guessing its only because you need to drive 3 -6 screens?

Also - do note thats its best to start a new thread on this topic, and leave this one purely for introductions, since it will automatically lock in a few weeks!

cya around,
R
Old 16th April 2008, 12:37   #6
BHPian

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the encouragement and response.
Rehaan, thank you for the suggestion to start this thread elsewhere on BHP.
Not sure which would be appropriate Forum for this ... could you please suggest. Many thanks.

Musa.
Old 16th April 2008, 13:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Musa, I think you should start your thread in the "Modifications & Accessories" section.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks