Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2008, 16:16   #1

Hello one and all from Team Orion Racing

Hi I am Vishvesh Jhaveri from Bombay. I am an engineering Student from K.J. Somaiya College of Engineering.
Other things apart.. the most interesting thing to talk about is that I am a member of Orion Racing India. Team Orion is a student team, that builds formula style race cars. We build these race cars to participate in an International Event in Germany called as Formula Student.

We have built two cars as of now, and in the process of building a third car.

I have attached a picture of our previous year's car.

Also I have below the CAD model of the car that we are making right now...

We are the pioneers in such a concept of students designing and building race cars...

More updates on Orion Racing to be continued ...

cheers...
Attached Thumbnails
Hello one and all from Team Orion Racing-honda-logo1.jpg  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp assembly1.bmp (481.6 KB, 2912 views)
Old 24th April 2008, 17:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBhp Vishvesh

Thats a nice Intro & what caught my attention was that you are from K.J. Somaiya & being an alumni of SIMSR you reminded me of the best days of my life that I spent there

Anyways, Is this one of those projects supported\Promoted by Kirit Somaiaya or its a completely students drives program?

The cars looks nice, could you also share the engine specs?
Old 25th April 2008, 01:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard Vishvesh,

I guess i say the same thing to most FSAE students when they join TBHP, so i will say it again :

Do a search for "FSAE", we have about 15-20 threads on Team-BHP!

Do keep us up do date on the progress and share as much as you can! There are some cool pictures and even videos in some of the threads here.
Tell us about your experience at the last two events, how did the cars do, etc.

cya around,
R
Old 28th April 2008, 17:22   #4

Fsae-k.j.s.c.e.

Well... Its basically a student driven project. However, we have a lot of support from Mr. Samir Somaiya-trustee of Somaiya Trust.

As far as the car goes we have a Honda CBR 600c F4i engine. We bought the engine for last year's competition. This year we are using the same engine. Basically it is the stock engine only. Only a few mods here and there. Major work includes a custom made ECU (MegaSquirt) to adapt to the restrictions of the competition.

As such we are still fledglings in the competition as this year being our second year in the competition. The car we will take this year will be the 3rd car uptill now that we have made.

Last year being a first year team, noone expected us to win, however, we performed quite decently having completed all static events. Although we did not run the car at the dynamic events, it was a steep learning curve for us.

This year we plan to capitalize on all that we learnt last year. This time around we have a lighter and hopefully a more reliable car. It is still in the fabrication stage. The chassis is ready and the suspension along with the wheels are on it. The rest of the systems have to be incorporated.
Name:  Gen 2a.bmp
Views: 15687
Size:  481.6 KB
This is the CAD model of the present car (not sure if it came last time arnd)...

We are looking for slicks this year. If anyone has any contacts as to how we could get them, it would be of great help. ( Preferably sponsored).

Other than that also any help, from your side is always welcome- technical as well as non-technical.

more will follow...

cheers
vishvesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Welcome to TBhp Vishvesh

Thats a nice Intro & what caught my attention was that you are from K.J. Somaiya & being an alumni of SIMSR you reminded me of the best days of my life that I spent there

Anyways, Is this one of those projects supported\Promoted by Kirit Somaiaya or its a completely students drives program?

The cars looks nice, could you also share the engine specs?
Old 28th April 2008, 18:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishvesh
Well... Its basically a student driven project. However, we have a lot of support from Mr. Samir Somaiya-trustee of Somaiya Trust.
My bad I meant Samir Somaiya but mentioned Kirit instead. Yes Samir Somaiya is very student pro & is always willing to help in such initiatives.

All the best Vishvesh
Old 28th April 2008, 20:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the Forum

Wow seems like you guys are into some serious builds, good to have you onboard.
Old 28th April 2008, 20:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

welcome and all the very best for the events
Old 29th April 2008, 21:51   #8
BHPian

Hello Vishvesh,
Welcome aboard, looks like nice project you about to work on. Good luck.

Nirmal
Old 29th April 2008, 23:16   #9
BHPian

Hi Vishwesh.
Nice to see you here.
Well now i have some company here.
I was with Team Formula Srijan (BITS Mesra) Last year before joining job.
I had even visited your college about a year and a half back.
Reminds me of the good old days.
Keep me updated.
BtW which country do you plan to go to this year?
Old 30th April 2008, 00:33   #10
BHPian

Welcome on board!

That sounds quite exciting what you are doing. I am curious to know where and when this event will take place in Germany?
Old 1st May 2008, 15:22   #11
BHPian

Hi

Welcome aboard . I am sure you will get alot of info and we will enrich with your knowledge .

Regards.. kat
Old 1st May 2008, 16:14   #12

thank you all for the overwhelming support...

This year also we plan to go to Germany for the event.
The event is called Formula Student. It happens every year in the first half of August. This year the dates are 6-10 August. It happens at the legendary Hockenheim Ring, with teams from Universities across the globe participating. It is basically an undergraduate level competition.
The competition is more engineering oriented rather than racing. The competition includes events such as a cost report, a design report, a sales presentation pitchin to prospective investors, acceleration and braking test, slaloms and finally a 22 km endurance race.

The teams from Germany and other countries come with such state of teh art cars, its a treat to see. All carbon fibre and aluminium. One of the teams had even custom designed carbon fibre wheels for their car !!... WOW !!!
Old 1st May 2008, 20:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishvesh View Post
The teams from Germany and other countries come with such state of teh art cars, its a treat to see. All carbon fibre and aluminium. One of the teams had even custom designed carbon fibre wheels for their car !!... WOW !!!

and not to forget the kind of sports spirit you see at the competetion.

We were totally new at the competition and in the initial inspection it was but only more or less sure that we will be deviating from the compliance rules here and there.

But we were able to rectify all the defects that our car had with the help of other teams who were sporting enough to offer their tools and we were able to qualify for the endurance event and race the car there.

Hope that you get to race the car this year around.
Old 3rd May 2008, 03:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishvesh View Post

Also I have below the CAD model of the car that we are making right now...

We are the pioneers in such a concept of students designing and building race cars...

More updates on Orion Racing to be continued ...

cheers...
Is this CAD software CATIA? Which version are you guys using, V4 or V5?

We also use CATIA extensively in all our projects in our Automotive Engineering program at the University.
Right now we just finished designing a racing go-kart as part of our final year project and will be building it soon.

Meanwhile our University also takes part in the FSAE and Formula Mini Baja Competition every year, although we might not go to Germany this year.

So although you are our competitor, I wish you good luck. And make sure you post the pictures and results for this year's competition on Team-bhp as well.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:00   #15

Yea it is a Catia model. We use Catia v5.

Hey tell me one thing. You said yo designed the car on catia and now you guys will be making it right ? So one question always pops up in my mind is that do you start designing you car based on some standard parts ? or do you procure some standard parts and design your car around it ?. for example shock absorbers which one usually get off the shelf ... or do you design everything and then go about looking for parts and if not present manufacture them...

cheers
vishvesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
Is this CAD software CATIA? Which version are you guys using, V4 or V5?

We also use CATIA extensively in all our projects in our Automotive Engineering program at the University.
Right now we just finished designing a racing go-kart as part of our final year project and will be building it soon.

Meanwhile our University also takes part in the FSAE and Formula Mini Baja Competition every year, although we might not go to Germany this year.

So although you are our competitor, I wish you good luck. And make sure you post the pictures and results for this year's competition on Team-bhp as well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks