Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 19:23   #1
BHPian

Hi! Glifford here!

Hi Everyone,

I finally found the time and mustered the courage (not really) to post something on this venerable forum. Guess it's been atleast a couple of years since I've been reading on this forum and almost a year since I joined in! All this while I have kept coming back over here to read something or the other.

As for me, I've been facinated by automobiles (irrespective of the number of wheels) since as long as I can remember. Something I must say I inherited from my dad... even tho' he was pretty tamed down by the time I was born! Still remember the reading and re reading the pages of Indian Auto long long ago.

Based in (out of) Bangalore since over half a decade now and as expected in the IT-industry (tho’ am still figuring what I am doing here). Married with no kids (yet). And both of us work.

Until now my passion has only been practically limited to 2-wheelers. Currently have a 4.5-year-old Wine-red Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTS-i and a 2.1-year-old Bluish-purple (Wife’s) Bajaj Wave 110 DTS-i scooter. Had constrained to two wheels mainly because of the lack of parking space (in a rented place) and also didn’t feel the need. Now that we have moved into our own apartment we have a parking space that we need to put some good use to.

Have done a fair bit of touring on the Pulsar and often love to ride outta town (tho’ such opportunities are now limited). Am also an active member on a couple of bike forums (one dedicated to the Pulsar) and also a moderator on one of them. I really appreciate the way Team-BHP is managed and disciplined vis-à-vis forums based on similar themes. Browsing through the posts here I also find familiar names like Zenx, Technocrat and someothers whom I know through my existing groups. It is also a venerable source of information that I just love to read. Unfortunately there are a number of sites out that that regularly source info from this forum without giving due credit!

Since my childhood have been facinated with the legendary Premier Padmini (Fiat 1100) and always wished to own one myself. Since that was my Dad’s first car, the attachment was even more. Never expected Dad to sell of his car as it was always in good condition. I was abroad when Dad told me he is replacing his car (ofcourse we lived in different cities anyway). I immediately rang him up and told him that I’ll pay him double what anyone offers on that car to buy it from him. His response was simply “I’ll give this car away for free or pay someone to take it, but I’ll not let you spend your time, money and energy on this piece of junk!” Ouch! The last word hurt. But maybe he was right! It was not in the same shape as it was when I had left home and he was finding it increasingly difficult to drive and maintain at his age! But that made me even more determined to get a good lovingly used “Fiat”.

I didn’t have to search much longer. When looking up a net-classified for a rented flat I suddenly bumped into an ad for a used Padmini. 1991 model (it was 2006 then) sparingly used. Went over to check it out! Wow! Dark Greyish Blue (it was a popular colour), factory fitted AC, plastic protection still on the door liners and. less than 23,000 on the odo!!! WOW! (Single) owner quoted 30,000 on net, in person he said 28,000 negotiable. I was tempted. It was a bargain price. Spoke to my folks, they were like, if it is in a good condition.. no harm! The condition was decent. Doors looked slightly offset (common on the Padmini and fixable by a good mech), plus the chassis showed some corrosion on the front ends (in front of the front wheels). Was not too much in driving since I left home so took a colleague (familiar with Fiat driving) along for a test drive. She found it ok, just a bit loud (which I agreed). Owner said he had changed the jet to a smaller one for efficiency. And offered me the original one as well. I was surprised to even see the owners manual in mint condition (untouched). I was going crazy. He even was willing to offer it to me for 26,000. I had no more decisions to make. That’s when I made a mistake. Spoke to some trusted friends. They said that’s way too much for that car. No matter how good the car is! They said Fiats sell by weight nowadays. Nothing more than 15,000/-! Ouch! I took their word (unfortunately) and offered 20 at max! My mistake, the owner had offered me the first preference if I matched the 26,000 offered by someone else. I didn’t! The car went and I stood looking! I kick my self-hard to this day for letting that gem go! Moreso for a price I wouldn’t flinch to pay for a decent camera! Sigh! I kept looking, found some junk pieces, but never a gem like this one. Many have been LPG converted (something I have not been keen on). I really went crazy looking at the thread of those amazing FIATs restored in Delhi (posted on this forum, can't find the link now). Even showed it to my wife and she too appreciated my regard for those “Taxi” cars.

Anyway that’s history now and we’re now ready to look at a decent modern car. Looking at used not only for obvious cash outflow reasons (with huge home EMIs going away), but also the fact that driving in Bangalore is a real punishment and the kind of pain a single scratch or dent can inflict (forget the economics). I’ve spent sleepless nights mourning every single scratch on my bike. And even till today, every single new scratch hurts a lot!

So when beginning our lookout, we have some preferences. I am not looking at a popular, common car as well (like the Alto, M800 or Santro that most would suggest). With the FIAT craze in my blood, I needn’t look further than the Palio. Esp. in the 1.6 avatar that I had been lusting for ever since it was introduced! I simply couldn’t understand why people bought the 1.2 version (or the Puslar 150 for that matter). Realise it's a very popular car on this forum too!

So that it is. Am on the lookout for a LOVINGLY looked-after Palio 1.6 in stock condition. Have no idea what the prices would be, but maybe you can suggest! Any cars on offer here. Preferences would be for Ferrari Red version or even the S10 if I can find one. Wouldn’t mind also looking at other (rare) alternatives if it can fit in the same budget. How would the Ford Fusion 1.6 sound (another car I really like) or the Petra/Siena or Palio Weekend/Adventure.

Usage for the car would be minimal, restricted mainly to weekends or when guests arrive or a rainy day or some BIG shopping. I guess we will continue to commute by our pairs of wheels for the time being.

So BHPians, am open to your suggestions and inputs. What do you say?

Cheers,

Glifford.

PS: Ooops this turned out to be a really long post here! Will try to be shorter the next time!
Old 27th June 2008, 19:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Gliff, good to see you around here too
If you hang around here long enough, you'll add a Safari to your garage!
Old 27th June 2008, 19:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Gliff, good to see you around here too
If you hang around here long enough, you'll add a Safari to your garage!
Thanks Sameer!

Why only Safari? Not a bicycle?
Old 27th June 2008, 19:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the Board Gliff. Well it did took you some time but Boy that post says it all

Have a pleasant stay.

The reason why Zenx says so is because once you are on Team-Bhp your Budget invariable goes to the next level

Happy Hunting
Old 27th June 2008, 20:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome dude...nice long post you put up there, was fun reading!!!

Have a nice one here...
Old 27th June 2008, 21:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
PS: Ooops this turned out to be a really long post here! Will try to be shorter the next time!
Doesn't matter - it was an interesting and fun read. Welcome to Team-BHP!
Old 30th June 2008, 10:57   #7
BHPian

Thanks for the response everyone and welcoming me in!

@Techno: Yes I started composing that message over two months ago... never found the time to complete

Anyway, a question to you all. Since I've begun my search.

What resale values do the following cars command in Bangalore? Assuming pretty decently maintained!

Palio 1.6/GTX/S10: 2003 - 2005 models, sparingly run

and

Fusion 1.6: 2005 models (assuming they are around from that time)

New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com India seems to show much lower values than what I have found quoted!

Cheers,

Glifford.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Two months hehe

I have created a new thread for you so that you can get better response here:

Resale For Palio 1.6 & Fusion 1.6
Old 1st July 2008, 11:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I have created a new thread for you so that you can get better response here: Resale For Palio 1.6 & Fusion 1.6
Thanks Kedar!

I was just wondering if I needed to do that! Just getting my way around the forum and seeing if there was an existing thread for it.

Don't wanna overstep any rules (I know how strict I am when it comes to the rules on the Pulsar group :P)

Cheers,

Glifford.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:37   #10
BHPian

Glifford good to see you here!
Old 1st July 2008, 12:05   #11
BHPian

Hi Glifford bhai, welcome to the best forum in India (truly it is).
Why no posts for one year?? Well in Bangalore, you may find good fiats (1100 or palio family). Have you tried searching it in free ads or admag, by luck you may find some. hope you find a good vehicle . Best wishes
Closed Thread

Most Viewed