Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 11:10   #1
BHPian

HI - from Toronto & Calcutta

Any one seen the US TV program "Car Crazy"? THAT'S ME!

Was raised near Windsor Ontario, across the river from Detroit the Automotive capital of the world, at least at that time, I learned to drive in my Dad's 50 Morris Minor convertible. My twin brother and I purchased our first car at the age of 15. A 1930 Model A ford coupe with a dicky seat for $35. That was 55 years ago.

Since then we owned a 1924 Chev touring, 28 AJS 500cc bike, 28 Durant sedan, 28 Dodge, three other Model A, 30 Chrysler model 66 coupe, 32 Chev coupe, 32 Studebaker Rockne roadster, 33 Ford 5 window coupe and a 55 Vespa

Upon graduating Architecture, I have had a 55 BMW Isetta 300cc bubble car, 53 Studebaker hard top, two 54 Studebaker coupes, one fitted with a chev V8, 60 Austin mini wagon, 64 Honda 300 cc bike, 66 Yamaha 250 cc ascot dirt track racer putting out 45 hp, 67 Yamaha 250 enduro trail bike, 57 Porsche, 47 Bentley, 51 Dodge sedan, 65 Ford falcon wagon, 65 VW bus, 68 Lincoln continental, 50 Ford mercury sedan, 67 Volvo wagon, 70 Ford pinto wagon, 76 Hyundai pony, 74 Chev station wagon, 78 ford station wagon, two 68 Jaguar MK11-340 sedans, one for show & one for go!, 78 Toyota celica, 2 Jaguar XJ-6 sedans, 78 Toyota camry wagon, 92 Toyota previa, 2004 VW passat V6 wagon, and last but not the least my "Bengli Bullet" 62 Fiat 1100 deluxe.

A short list of my favorite cars the cars I wish we had kept.

1. The 1932 Studebaker Rockne. Named after the famous football coach of Notre Dame it was introduced in the fall of 32 as an economy car to meet the depression market place. My car was the center piece introducing the line into Canada. It was finished in a light beige with lime green wheels, accent paint trim and leather upholstery. All original except the fenders had been repainted.
2. The !947 Bentley which I purchased while living in Montreal, it had been recently restored and I just had to drive it and enjoy the elegance and as my daily driver my...
3. Austin mini wagon done up in a baby blue paint with wood trim to scream around the hilly roads..
4. The BMW Isetta, the car that saved BMW just after the war. A 300 cc single cylinder two seater that you opened up the front to sit in. So light weight that I would find in moved up on the sidewalk or turned around. with two small wheels close together driving in the winter snow was almost as much fun as driving in Calcutta.
5. Our 1930 Chrysler "66" that we found parked away with only 22,000 miles
on it in immaculate condition. One of the Chrysler dealer asked to use it in their show when they were introducing their 1960 line of cars and in exchange they did a 100% lacquer paint job on it.

i must be getting old as i"m getting a little long in the tooth but this has been the first time I have done a recap of the cars that have I have shared my life with. it has been a great journey, not yet over, and best of all I ave met some great people.

My 1968 Jaguar MK11 -340 which was the 2002 North American Champion in the Preservation Class with 99.78 pts average and place 4th in restoration class with 99.54 pts for the Mark 11s for the Concours run by the Jaguar Clubs of North America and of course my 1962 Fiat 1100 plate # WBF-!, are right up at the top.

During my visits to Calcutta, my wife Jharna who shares my passion, is originally from Calcutta and I have been a judge at the Statesman Car Rally
for the past few years. I wrote an article about it that can be seen on line at
google - hemmings motor news calcutta concours.

I've done up a nice DVD on last years Statesman Rally in Delhi and this years Tolly Club car show in Calcutta. I hope to ble to put these online somehow some time as well as posting some photos.

Enough for now, I really enjoy being apart of this ingathering of car lovers and will post some more interesting reflections later

John
Old 27th January 2009, 11:53   #2
BHPian

Hi John, Welcome to TBhp.
Old 27th January 2009, 13:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum John! That's one hell of a car history you got there! How about sharing some pictures of your cars with us?
Old 27th January 2009, 16:57   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard John! It was great interacting with you via email; nice to see that you finally made it here to our community. The many vintage fans on board will be delighted! I think you should share some of those pictures for the others to drool on. Look up this link (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) for the simplest instructions.

Quote:
76 Hyundai pony
Uh oh, talk about the black sheep of the family! How did that happen?
Old 27th January 2009, 18:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Those are some wonderful cars out there. You have actually been there done that. Welcome to Team BHP John. The Vintage section will interest you alot. See you around at the threads and do go through the rules to make forum browsing easier for you.
Old 27th January 2009, 20:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi from Calcutta and welcome to team-bhp. I hope your stay is fruitful and enjoyable.
Old 27th January 2009, 20:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team BHP, JAM.

I havent seen the TV show but that list of cars is mouth-watering! You live a truly blessed automotive life.

Do share pics of these beauties and welcome once again to Team BHP.
Old 28th January 2009, 00:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Welcome to the forum John! That's one hell of a car history you got there! How about sharing some pictures of your cars with us?
Send me your email address and I would be pleased to send photos.
My email is jcmilne@rogers.com
Old 28th January 2009, 00:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Welcome to Team BHP, JAM.

I havent seen the TV show but that list of cars is mouth-watering! You live a truly blessed automotive life.

Do share pics of these beauties and welcome once again to Team BHP.
What a sweet 55 Fiat! Nice Jag too!
Where are you located?
I've been looking for some items to finish off restoring my 62 Fiat. The cupboards seem to bear here in Calcutta.

JOHN
Old 28th January 2009, 01:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Now that's what we can call a life worth living. welcome aboard. Hope we all learn from your experiences.
Old 1st February 2009, 23:26   #11
BHPian

Greetings again!

Now that I am getting to know my way around this GREAT WEB-SITE here's a few photos to share with you.

Our 1968 Jaguar MK11-340 that's been in the family for 30 years and just turned 57,000 miles. MINT! MINT! MINT! A JCNA Nation Champion, Class 18, with 99.78 pts.
Attached Thumbnails
HI - from Toronto & Calcutta-3.jpg  

Old 1st February 2009, 23:37   #12
BHPian

Greeting again,

Here's our "Bengali Blue Bullet" a 1968 Fiat 1100 deluxe originally owned by the Bengali Movie Star Pranati Das, I purchased two years ago and just had a major restoration done to the Italian version model. I use as a daily driver here in "Kool Kolkata."
Attached Thumbnails
HI - from Toronto & Calcutta-b30811.jpg  

HI - from Toronto & Calcutta-img_4446.jpg  

HI - from Toronto & Calcutta-img_4392.jpg  

Old 1st February 2009, 23:53   #13
BHPian

The Car I Miss Most - 1932 Studebaker Rockne

SUCH SWEET MEMORIES

I purchased this car during my university years, how sweeeet it was! 4th owner, 90% original in a lovely beige, dark green trim with spring green pin striping, wheels and interior leather upholstery. Moved from Toronto to Montreal and sold it 8 years later and after spending 10 years looking for it, found it through the Studebaker Club web site living down in Miami repainted a terrible RED. Never should have parted with it!

The photos posted show one in a similar color but the radiator was black, the other photo is as it sits today.
Attached Thumbnails
HI - from Toronto & Calcutta-pic-rockneregtarrant-10stdrdstr.jpg  

HI - from Toronto & Calcutta-picrockneregajmo-65-std-rdstrtu.jpg  

Old 18th February 2009, 22:14   #14
BHPian

Here's a photo of a similar 1955 Isetta to the one I had during my last year of University.
The cars had bombed in Canada and a used car dealer bought about 30 of them for next to nothing and then advertised them as a promotion that when you purchased one of their used cars, you could purchase a new Isetta for $300. I went and purchased a non-running 1952 Austin A40 for $45. and then as we were signing the "deal" said, by the way I will take that black Isetta. When I said he could keep the A40 he said "you bought it , you take it", so I had it towed to our home and then called a weaker to tow it away.

Great car to drive in the winter, so light I would find it moved onto the sidewalk. They are now selling restored (not much to restore) for upwards of 4 lak.

Should have kept it!http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif
Attached Thumbnails
HI - from Toronto & Calcutta-57bmw_isetta_300dv07_gc_01.jpg  

Old 18th February 2009, 22:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Greetings again!

Now that I am getting to know my way around this GREAT WEB-SITE here's a few photos to share with you.

Our 1968 Jaguar MK11-340 that's been in the family for 30 years and just turned 57,000 miles. MINT! MINT! MINT! A JCNA Nation Champion, Class 18, with 99.78 pts.
Its beautiful! Impeccable condition too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks