Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2005, 12:01   #1
BHPian

Introducing myself and seeking some suggestions!

Hi there... I am new to this forum. I am from Chennai.
I was just looking forward to making new friends here and sharing the little knowledge I have about cars.
I just sold my Opel Vectra today after a horrid period of 1 year. First of all the dealers in Chennai do not allow any modifications. They made me remove my music system and said the car is not suitable for any modifications. I had to change the alloy wheels which I fit in the car following some tire pressure indication problems.
The Car itself is not worth the money. I had problems with Traction Control, ABS, Power Steering and all the electronics since I took delivery of the car. I just wanted to get rid of the car as soon as possible, which I successfully did.
Now I am looking at the Skoda Octavia RS. Any other suggestions for a car below the 20 lakh rupee mark?
Old 11th May 2005, 12:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman-kimi
They made me remove my music system and said the car is not suitable for any modifications. I had to change the alloy wheels which I fit in the car following some tire pressure indication problems.
The Car itself is not worth the money. I had problems with Traction Control, ABS, Power Steering and all the electronics since I took delivery of the car.
Welcome to TBHP. Could you give us a better picture on the above?
Skoda RS is hot amongst members here. Use the search tool to find more opinion about RS.
Please go through the announcement section before posting.
Old 11th May 2005, 12:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

welcome onboard iceman-kimi
nice ot know another kimi fan
its real sad that you had bad experience with Vectra.
there are lots of topics about choosing cars have a look
if u ask me i would suggest HONDA ACCORD
Old 11th May 2005, 12:39   #4
BHPian

weclome aboard iceman kimi
i suggest you go for the skoda octavia rs its total value for your money it has got the looks, the power and everything else you need. its my personal favourite
Old 11th May 2005, 12:56   #5
F50
Senior - BHPian

Hey welcome aboard ...
Its really bad to know you had a bad time with vectra but that is one solid car. Use search option to know about an accident of vectra big accident but not even a scratch to anyone inside.
And my opinion go for RS, H.Accord is not bad at all but you cant drive it in rugged manner as you can to RS.
Old 11th May 2005, 13:06   #6
BHPian

Its great to see such quick response.
Well let me explain the history of the problem I faced with the car.
The day after I took delivery of the car I noticed the Traction Control light was glowing continuously. So I sent the car back to them and they said it was some sensor problem and erased the error codes and sent it back. Then after a few days I had problems with ABS, TC and the Power Steering. Just think how dangerous it is when the power steering fails when you are driving the car! So I sent the car again and they said that they had done some serious servicing and changed some few parts. They assured me that the problems will never occur again.

The car behaved well for a week and my hands started to itch!! I was really tempted me to upgrade music system. So I got a professional to do the installation without touching any of the wires that come in the Car. Only one wire that came with the car was tampered and that’s the power line that goes to the Cigarette Lighter. I had to loop a wire to that because I wanted the remote key main for the music system.

The Car worked fine for 2 days after that and same TC and ABS problems started again. I was furious and sent the car back to the company and they simply blamed all the problems on the music system. I sent a letter to GM Delhi and they said the same thing and made me remove my music system.

After I removed the music system the same problem has been coming every now and then and I send the car back to them and as usual they would give me false assurance that everything is rectified and send it back to me.

This went on till last month when I refused to take the car from them and asked for a replacement or refund which they blindly refused saying its not their fault and its the customers fault for fixing a music system and tampering with all the wires in the Car. But still they offered me a one year extended warranty and they said that they would sell my car for a price above the market value. I was fed up and just asked them to get rid of the car.

Hope no one else would every go through what I went!
Old 11th May 2005, 13:10   #7
BHPian

I decided on going for an Octavia RS. But deciding between Black and Silver.
Black I consider unlucky after my Vectra as it was black.
But still the Black RS looks mouth watering and really tempting!!
Anyone qualified enough to remap the ECU in India? Or should we import the chip?
Old 11th May 2005, 13:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Ice-Kimi,
Welcome aboard and remember to read the announcement secton before posting.
Enjoy your stay here and i guess the Ford Mondeo will be your cup of tea as i do not suppose you want a small car.
Just stay away from the Merc clan.
Old 11th May 2005, 13:16   #9
BHPian

My dad used to drive the Mondeo a while ago. Its a brilliant car! But I am not a fan of the new mondeo. I dont like all the chrome thats been added. I hope Ford had atleast retained the Xenon lights in the new mondeo.
Old 11th May 2005, 13:57   #10
BHPian

very nice choice iceman kimi chose the black colour as it looks really very hot and change the custom alloys to another one
Old 11th May 2005, 13:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

welcome iceman-kimi to team-bhp. RS is a great choice. If you don't like black, why dont you consider the whacky yellow? man, i just love that color on rs.
Old 11th May 2005, 14:25   #12
BHPian

Yellow too bright for me!! It would be odd if I parked a Yellow car outside my office or went to meet some customers in a Flashy yellow car
Old 11th May 2005, 14:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

hey iceman-kimi
welcome to tbhp and have a great stay.since you dont want a yellow rs why dont you get a black one.the rs looks stunning in black.

rev
Old 11th May 2005, 16:40   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Car itself is not worth the money. I had problems with Traction Control, ABS, Power Steering and all the electronics since I took delivery of the car. I just wanted to get rid of the car as soon as possible, which I successfully did.
Quote:
Hope no one else would every go through what I went!
Wait till you read the episode on my Mercedes Benz (Indian Car Scene forum). GM India is lucky that you didnt sue them. I know of a case where an Opel owner sued GM India for wrongly projecting the Astra as a german car. He got a full refund back!!

Yeah, the RS is a beast and will keep you happy.

Welcome to Team-BHP

GTO
Old 11th May 2005, 17:16   #15
BHPian

Well I wrote a letter to Overdrive asking them to resolve the matter with GM and settle the dispute with a refund, but they never took the matter seriously too. I think most of these magazines will never publish such letters from customers as it would affect their relationship with the manufacturers.

I should have gone to the consumer court though, but quiet a few people advised me that it would be a long tedious process. So I decided to settle the matter off court.

I managed to sell the Vectra for 13 lakhs with the insurance expiring by June 2005, so I feel I got a good price.

What do you guys feel about the price?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks