Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2009, 23:36   #1
BHPian

Team BHP made me buy Mitsubishi Cedia Sports

Hi all,

Joined this week after deciding to buy a Cedia New Sports. Excellent rally heritage and luxurious interiors. I rarely spend money on tangible stuff (I hardly had money at all even a couple of years back) - but this was one of the purchases where I don't regret stretching beyond my budget.

Am in software and started on my own a few years back in Hyderabad.

My only regret on not migrating to the US of A was automobiles. I was envious of my friend's BMWs, Lexii, Eclipses, Merc SUVs and Infinities.

I was never even tempted to buy a car in India except for Baleno (when I couldn't afford it) and Qualis (when it was launched).
In fact I never bought a vehicle - not even a two wheeler. Was very happy with my Yamaha RXG my parents bought when I was studying. After I sold it post an accident (>80kmph and lucky to be alive) I used my Dads old Bajaj-Super(a death trap if ever there was one with its eagerness to throw its arse out under braking) rather than buy another 2 wheeler. I preferred our old 1989 model Maruti-800 instead of a compromise buy. One of my friends was leaving for the US and left his Yamaha RX135 5-speed with me. The 5-speed was even better than my RXG (5-speed feels heavier but better sounding - true Yamaha sound and more top speed-110kmph) and I was pretty pleased with life again. I spent a bit getting it into top condition. Am still looking for a good Yamaha mechanic in Hyderabad. If anyone knows a mechanic who loves Yamaha 2-stroke, please let me know. I had a terrible experience with Pearl - Yamaha - you can read my review on mouthshut dot com.

I started doing well since last year despite the recession and had money to spare for a 4 wheeler. I decided to compromise on performance and looked around. Even with low expectations the available models were depressing. Swift seemed the only *engineered* vehicle and that too because of the suspension (and because my wife owns one too - can't criticise the wife!!). Swift is grossly underpowered and there were times when I wanted to get down and push (or kick)it after there was no response when I stepped on the accelerator. The i10 seemed peppy but it was a Hyundai. All other vehicles seemed like they were put together in the right shape but without soul.

I was sort looking for the same kind of excitement in a car that I was used to with the Yamaha. You just felt more alive after a few minutes on it. Even revving the engine gave me goose bumps.

Last month, I was tired of waiting and was considering the Innova or Xylo consoling myself that at least my family will benefit. Then I also looked at the Corolla Altis and when reading reviews online came across the teambhp site. (Don't mean to offend but I was actually under the impression that this was a arbit site - who in their right mind will talk about BHP and India in the same breath? I was pleasently surprised by the quality of reviews and obvious passion of most members.)
Then I randomly read an article comparing a car(Corolla I think or was it City?) with Cedia. That was the first time I realised that Mitsubishi was still selling cars in India. I think that reflects quite a bit on HM/Mitsubishi publicity and marketing.

I called up Raima motors for a test drive. I was floored by the interiors and performance was good. The car can use 30-40 BHP more but the handling and suspension were really good. I touched 100 kmph easily and my wife didn't even realise that we were doing 100. I took it off the highway and onto a stretch of bad roads. I was more than happy. Steering felt responsive. Suspension was stiff and proper justifying the sporty tag.

After I dropped the car off, I took a test drive of the Corolla Altis. Good car, nice power but everything about it was soft. Its for cruising - not for adernalin. Suspension - soft, Steering - soft, interiors - beige, cloth, comfy. I felt slightly older and got a sense that I had 'arrived' - not a good sign for a struggling entrapreneur.

Finally I decided to go for the edgy Cedia sport. Booked it yesterday. Decided to go without the extended warranty - I want to mod the car soon to get more BHP. The manager confirmed that the Evo will be here in April. Was almost tempted to wait for it but Evo is way out of my budget. I will definitely look forward to the day I can afford the Evo. I did let Mr. Narayana (sales manager - Mitsubishi or HM) know that people will appreciate more power and he said that Cedia was specially tuned for low power and better mileage as per Indian expectations. I am not very sure somebody shelling out 11 lacs for a 'New sports' model is looking for good mileage. Cedia 'spirit' can be expected to have better mileage. 'New sports' begs more power.

I will let you know once the car is delivered. Chose white without the ralliart stickers and it should be delivered in about 2 weeks time.

Thats all folks, I have to go and watch the delayed broadcast of the Singapore Qualifying. Now those are some cars you want to drive :-)
Old 27th September 2009, 00:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

kcnetid; welcome to TBHP. Cedia is a great car to drive and now comes with more goodies. The ride quality of the car over broken surface too is amazing. Congrats.

You might want to upgrade the tyre once you get the car.
Old 27th September 2009, 00:15   #3
BHPian

Welcome Buddy to Team BHP. Congrats on your new car. Quite an intro you have given and good run up from your 2 to 4 wheel.

I miss my Yamaha ...
Old 27th September 2009, 00:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the team bro. A very nice writeup, enjoyed reading it.
Congratulations on booking the Cedia, its one of the favorite cars in the forum. WIsh you a wonderful ownership experience. Look forward to your Ownership report.

Cheers !
Old 28th September 2009, 11:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcom To the Cedizen's club kcnet,
You should be calling yourself a 'striving enterpreneur' and not a 'struggling enterpreneur'. You made the right choice. Corolla is more sophisticated nad soft look and feel. Cedia is rugged, sporty, fun-filled.
I own a SPIRIT 2 year old baby now, and absolutely no complaints.
One caution. Go soft on your horn, as the switch is delicate and replacement is time-consuming and expensive.
Enjoy driving.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:38   #6
BHPian

Still waiting for the car

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and advice on the car. The car delivery was promised before 15th Oct and am still waiting for it.

And yes, I correct myself, I am a striving entrepreneur and not really a struggling one.

And I have to say that I am very pleasently surprised with the number of people reading posts from newbies like me. To top it, lot of people are responding too.

I will write an new ownership report of course. Meanwhile, my mom bought a tata nano and I will write down our experiences soon.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:32   #7
BHPian

Best of Luck

WOW.

Your Mom made the correct choice according to me. LOL

I have not still driven the Cedia so cannot comment on it but the Old Lancer was quiet good.
Resale Value for the Cedia is going to be low.
There are many cars that have good performance, you should have seen others too but looks like you had a Big Budget unlike many of us here.

I am surprised that the Swift Owners on this forum have not already shouted at you for saying the Swift is slow. I just do not like the Bumpy Nature of the Swift.

btw next time try to frame your topic a bit better. It sounded like we made you buy a car that you did not want. LOL

I am also surprised that no one advised you to go for Extended Warranty. I suggest it as it does not cost that much and will give you peace of mind.

btw You are a very rich man. Good Luck. In 2 Years an Evo that is a HUGE TARGET.

RajaTaurus What did you mean to be easy with the Horn ? The Horn on the Steering breaks if pressed repeatedly ? LOL

I hope you drive in a sensible matter and according to me they are taking too long to deliver the car. There are Few Cars out there which also fly past an Evo. Give way to such drivers.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:13   #8

Hahahaha I understand what you mean about the Altis being soft! It's the perfect car for you when you are touching 40
Old 8th October 2009, 01:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Aboard T-Bhp kcnetid.

An excellent choice you have made there. Good to know that reviews up here helped you decide on the car. they helped me too a few months back. This is one forum where quality is "supreme".

Congrats on the ride in advance and do keep us posted further.

For now just a small note: "Some People Drive just to get to their Destinations.... Others Drive MITSUBISHI!!!"

@ raja: horn on the new sports with momo steering is far better than our horn pads on normal steering wheel. so theres no problem as such.
Old 8th October 2009, 01:21   #10
BHPian

Congrats on the new buy.
Beleive me to have an absolute out of the world experience on Indian roads. This car certainly is a mile eater.
I have done 23000kms without a glitch. Too good is the word!
Old 21st October 2009, 20:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
WOW.
Resale Value for the Cedia is going to be low.
yes, I gathered as much on this site but this was sorta my "desperate to be remain young" buy' and compromised on resale value.

Quote:
There are many cars that have good performance, you should have seen others too but looks like you had a Big Budget unlike many of us here.
Not really - I started with a 4-5 lac budget about 6 months back - never knew how I reached Cedia....still am trying to figure out how my budget doubled.

Quote:
I am also surprised that no one advised you to go for Extended Warranty. I suggest it as it does not cost that much and will give you peace of mind.
Did not go for extended warranty as I wanted to mod this after the 1st year.

Quote:
btw You are a very rich man. Good Luck. In 2 Years an Evo that is a HUGE TARGET.
Not rich - merely living well beyond my limited means and hoping things work out. I just revised the Evo target to 3 yrs...:-)

Quote:
I hope you drive in a sensible matter and according to me they are taking too long to deliver the car.
Totally agree, almost a month since I booked and no specific delivery date. It will be 1 full month by 24thOct09 since I booked. Communication from Raima -Kothaguda has been almost non-existant. Mr. Narayan of HM (in Chennai?) is the person who is responding on mobile from Chennai. He is the only reason I am not creating a scene yet.

Quote:
There are Few Cars out there which also fly past an Evo. Give way to such drivers.
Well, I like to think that I drive safe - even my grandfather and wife agree (though sometimes not my in-laws). Previously used a 800 and self preservation was the key. In Hyd, you really can't drive too fast without killing or dying. I am planning to buy the sticker that says "don't follow me - I will drive within speed limits and stop at red lights". :-)

Was researching some good rally driving schools to learn to drive better rather than take cues from Hamilton and co. every fortnight. Looking to take out the aggro on private circuits rather than public roads - any suggestions around Hyderabad other than runway-9 ?
Old 21st October 2009, 22:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Mr Narayan Iyer is the only reason why Cedia is still selling a few here and there .
Old 22nd October 2009, 07:06   #13
BHPian

(Self) Suggestion for new title to thread

There seem to have been a couple of edits to the title. The title does seem odd. is there any way that I can change it? Else can any of the admins please change it?

As 'supercars' already noticed, the wording 'made me buy' sounds like somebody held a gun to my head :-)

It can read "TeamBHP inspired me to buy Mitsubishi Cedia New Sports".
Old 22nd October 2009, 09:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Use the "Report Post" button & request the title change
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks