Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2009, 13:15   #1
BHPian

From Hindustan 14 to Team-BHP

Having read so many comments of fresh inductees that they had waited several months for approval or had registered umpteen times before they were cleared, I was a little unsure of my fate. So it was with some surprise, but a feeling of distinct elation, that I saw the Team-BHP email sitting in my mail box yesterday informing me of approval. That too, in just ten days of registration. I thank the Moderators for this approval.

My association with cars goes back to the first family car acquired by my father before I was born. A Hindustan 14. I would not know how many of the young Team-BHP members would know this but we are talking of over 50 years ago. Cars were rare then, and the shiny black Hindustan 14, based on the Morris 14, with big black tyres having broad white sides, was a beauty (references to this car exist on the Forum). That was my initiation, sitting in my fathers’ lap, and steering. Coupled to this was my idiosyncrasy that was always a source of some discomfort to my father. I would get my hair cut only when sitting on the Hindustan 14 bonnet. Again those were the days when barbers did not have shops, but would come on home-visits. Time flew and we went through a series of cars: Hindustan 14, followed by Fiat 1100D, Ambassador, Premier Padmini, Maruti 800, yet another second hand Premier Padmini that I still have, and this February a Hyundai i10 Magna. I have done many trips by road, the longest being Lucknow-Dehra Dun-Mussoorie-Dhanulti-Narendra Nagar-Chamba-Dehra Dun-Lucknow. That was climbing up to almost 10K feet, on the Maruti 800, with 4 adults and 1 child - my son (now at the MIT, Manipal, doing BE).

My occupation is University teaching and scientific research (microbiology, virology, recombinant DNA technology), and my real exposure to a variety of cars came with my first research jaunt to France many years back. The Mercedes, BMWs, Peugeots, the Volvos, were such fun to see and ride in, and the growl of the BMW would fill me with such excitement! I still can’t forget the sight of Porsche Carrera as it whizzed past. I also can’t forget that brilliantly painted Lamborghini that had Italian number plates, was parked audaciously wrongly, and the French traffic police instead of filling out a parking ticket, were busy admiring it, even calling their nearby stationed colleagues on walkie-talkie. It was as if they felt that issuing a parking ticket to that angelique Lamborghini would be sacrilege.

I came across Team-BHP in June this year while wanting to upgrade to the SX4 (sadly, from my Premier Padmini that I have driven all these years, the i10 belongs to my wife who moved up to it from the Maruti 800), and I was looking for reviews. The obvious comparison was with the ANHC, that I had driven in June itself, and which was such an excellent drive. But somewhere, it seemed a little too sophisticated, and I was drawn towards the SX4. Just as I was on the verge of deciding, the SX4 production stopped, and frankly it was the discussion thread on the possible modifications that Maruti may/may not make in the new version, that made my interest in Team-BHP go up manifold. Now that SX4 has been relaunched, I hope to acquire it shortly. And I hope it would be a good choice. Time alone will tell. My son insists that I should buy the Linea, but the cramped rear seat, and the not so good service track record of Fiat are huge stumbling bocks. I think it would be the SX4. Fingers crossed.

It’s a pleasure to be on the Forum, it’s a pleasure to be writing this post, and I look forward to a satisfying association with members of Team-BHP. On the lighter side, amongst the many advantages of being on the Forum, is the hope that I would be able to stay one step ahead of my son who is a car and bike enthusiast (buff?) of considerable quality…..

Last edited by Samurai : 1st November 2009 at 13:17. Reason: removed font tags
Old 1st November 2009, 13:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Welcome vivprasad, good to have one more Professor here. BTW, MIT is in my neighhourhood, I drive by it few times a day.
Old 1st November 2009, 14:46   #3
BHPian

Hearty Welcome,

Welcome to the board Professor. Lets hear a lot of your expreinces.

Cheers
Sree70
Old 1st November 2009, 15:36   #4
BHPian

From Hindusatn 14

Welcome Sir,

We have two things in common here, First, we also happen to have a Hindustan 14, a chocolate Brown color, Secondly, it's in Lucknow , where I did my schooling from La-martiniere College.

Hope, you have a wonderful time here.

All the Best!

Aditya
Old 1st November 2009, 21:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the forum prof, superb introduction post to go with that too. You seem to know your way well around here, and I'm certain the vintage section is going to keep you coming back every now and then through your spare time, not that the other sections are going to keep you any less interested.

manson.
Old 1st November 2009, 22:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

A hearty welcome to you Professor.Nice to read about you and your background in the post.You will find some information about the Hindusthan 14 in the Vintage and Classics Section here in some threads, though there is no thread specially dedicated to it. It was sold the Morris MO Series in the UK. Incidentally, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru also owned one, which later on Shri Rajiv Gandhi used to drive even in the 1980's.
Old 2nd November 2009, 00:19   #7
BHPian

Welcome on this forum Professor. I am basically from Lucknow as well and have seen the vintage car rally in the city. Lovely cars in this city.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:19   #8
BHPian

Many thanks to all the words of welcome. I was in Manipal for 3 days during Diwali Samurai, and had I known you are around, maybe I could have sent you a PM and met to say hello. Its also great to see that Lucknow origins seem well represented.

Took a test drive of the new SX4 yesterday, and will post my impressions on the appropriate thread later today.

I also thank the Senior-BHPians for their appreciation.
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team BHP Sir,

Thats was a really nice introduction and it was a pleasure going down memory lane with your previously owned cars. Happy to see that Team BHP helped you with your car buying decision. The SX4 is back and you really might want to check out the Automatic variant as well.

Looking forward to your driving impressions.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:25   #10
BHPian

Many thanks for the nice words Dippy. I took the TD of the manual transmission ZXi variant of SX4. For one, there is a substantial cost difference between the MT and the AT, since just last Wednesday the state of UP hiked the road tax to 5% from 2.5% on all vehicles above 1000 kg. Second, its my personal feeling that the pleasure of revving up the engine for a quick pickup and overtaking is much more in manual transmission. So, it would be an MT for me. Really don't know how many people would agree with me!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks