Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 17:24   #1

2 guys from Denmark looking for help :]

Hey there Team-bhp members.

We are to guys from Denmark(Eu) who are traveling to India the 4th may.
I am planning on staying in India for a year and Mikael are planing to staying for 3 to 4 months.
The months Mikael will be in india, we will travel together from goa up the west coast, and then east towards varanasi.
Pune, ahmedabad,Pali, Jodhpur,Jaipur,New delhi,Agra,Kanpur, Allahabad,Varanasi. This is just a draft, the main cities/areas we want to visit in those 4 monts are Goa,Jodhpur,Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi.
We want to buy a SUV and drive as far as possible...

I will continiue this threat in the forum insted of the introduction, but we REALLY hope you will be able to give us advice about all the millions of questions we have.

Iv been a member of the forum for a month now maybe, where i have spend my time reading up on the diffrent articels the site have got to offer. :]

Best wishes.
Old 8th December 2009, 17:34   #2
BHPian

Welcome and glad to be of help wherever possible.
Old 8th December 2009, 17:41   #3

Thanks alot Seeler Rebeiro :]

What section would it be best to post a large post with questions and to tell about our plans ?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th December 2009 at 17:52. Reason: one logical post
Old 8th December 2009, 17:45   #4
BHPian

Welcome to Team-Bhp Synonym. I am sure the Bhp-ians of the city where you land up for the first time and/or buy the SUV from will give you all the required help and the best advice and tips. And not to forget all the support you will get from all of us here in Team-bhp through this thread. Please post your proper itenary so you can start planning for your India trip in the minutest detail.

Best wishes,
Gooney

Last edited by Gooney : 8th December 2009 at 17:46. Reason: typo
Old 8th December 2009, 17:55   #5
BHPian

Synonyms welcome to the club. All our experts will be more than happy to answer all your questions.
I am not sure if can buy a car here because you need all sorts of address proofs and Pan card details. Can someone shed any light on this? But you always have Hertz and stuff.
Old 8th December 2009, 17:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi friend,

Welcome here and enjoy your stay & also wishing you a happy travel through India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synonyms View Post
....I will continiue this threat in the forum insted of the introduction, ...
I am sure you meant thread and not threat

Quote:
...What section would it be best to post a large post with questions and to tell about our plans ?
For travel/Route queries, the best place to ask questions is:
Route / Travel Queries - Team-BHP

For questions on which SUV to buy, this is the place:
SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s - Team-BHP
Old 8th December 2009, 18:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong, why not rent a car and drive by yourself? Of course being a foreigner, you need to provide all sorts of documents before you can buy/hire a car.Are you sure you want to drive here?Be warned, pandemonium prevails 24/7 on roads in this part of the world. Gather more information and plan the trip. And oh, welcome to India, others have already welcomed you to the community, so decided to welcome you to our country :-)
Old 8th December 2009, 18:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Aboard...

So you two are not including Kerala in your itinerary?
Old 8th December 2009, 20:17   #9
BHPian

Welcome aboard..do let us know about your plans..am sure all here will be more than happy to help you guys!!
Old 8th December 2009, 21:05   #10
BANNED

Welcome to T-Bhp. First thing Get a GPS . Garmin will work perfectly here. or you can purchase the Unit or Maps either from Map My India or Sat Guide.

I think travelogue section covers the areas you have mentioned.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:13   #11
BHPian

Welcome aboard

synonyms,

Welcome aboard team-bhp. I am sure between all of us here, we will be able to support you with information and tips during your sojourn across India.

A couple of points :

1. English is widely understood and spoken among educated people across India; not so much among others. It will be a good idea if you learn a few phrases to ease your way through. I would recommend learning a few sentences/phrases in Hindi ( Hindi and its dialects is widely spoken and understood across the entire north India and even in metropolitan cities such as Bombay (now Mumbai), Pune, which are not in north India.

2. You will find the driving and traffic environment diametrically opposite to that obtaining in EU/ US/ Australia and other western countries. Traffic conditions in India are invariably chaotic and unpredictable, with rules being observed only in the breach!

Also, we drive on the left side ( as in UK/Australia/South Africa), and so we have right hand drive. Although you will get self drive cars/SUVs, it might be a good idea to get a driver who knows the way around, is reliable and importantly is familiar with the local language.

You will find quite a few roads, especially the less important highways, in not too good a condition, and so average speeds will drop. On the flip side, major highways, such as the one linking Delhi to Mumbai is uniformly of good standard and you can do average speeds of 80-100 kms per hour.

However speed limits on all roads is much lower, and is never above 80 kms per hour; on state highways such as you find between say Indore-Varanasi, the speed limits will be possibly 60 kms per hour.

3. As you will be 'doing' primarily north India (except Goa), the months of May to July-August will be very hot ( average daytime temperatures of around 35-40 degrees Celcius) and as you approach July it will get humid as well. The best time to do India is in the months of November to March when it cools down significantly ( average daytime temperature of around 15-25 degrees Celsius and lower near the Himalayas)in north India.

Please post your detailed itinerary and we will do our best.

Drive safe.

Regards
Old 8th December 2009, 22:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey there Team-bhp members.

We are to guys from Denmark(Eu) who are traveling to India the 4th may.
I am planning on staying in India for a year and Mikael are planing to staying for 3 to 4 months.
The months Mikael will be in india, we will travel together from goa up the west coast, and then east towards varanasi.
Pune, ahmedabad,Pali, Jodhpur,Jaipur,New delhi,Agra,Kanpur, Allahabad,Varanasi. This is just a draft, the main cities/areas we want to visit in those 4 monts are Goa,Jodhpur,Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi.
We want to buy a SUV and drive as far as possible...

I will continiue this threat in the forum insted of the introduction, but we REALLY hope you will be able to give us advice about all the millions of questions we have.

Iv been a member of the forum for a month now maybe, where i have spend my time reading up on the diffrent articels the site have got to offer. :]

Best wishes.
Hi friends, welcome to the forum. be ready to be bombard with options and suggestion about SUVs and routes.
And I really hope that this threat turns to a long thread and you get all the info to make your trip a success.
Old 8th December 2009, 22:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends of Denmark,

It is great idea to visit India. Please go through all our friends suggestions like the weather in May will be too hot. The roads are different standards in different areas. So if you can bear the extreme heat in May you are welcome in May.Other wise the one who is going to stay for a year can come early and Micheal can come in September or October.Which may be a pleasant time almost all over India.

Any how all our BHPians will be ready to help you out all over India.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:01   #14

Hey guys, thanks allot for the great welcome!

Well as i wrote i will be staying in India for about 1 year/ turist visum, so i will go to Nepal to get my visa renewed.

The dream where to drive as we described in the original post, but i see that it may not be possible because we don't live in India and I am afraid that we then cant go buy a car and get all the papers right.
We land in mumbo the 5 may, and we should be able to get to Goa from train.

Train 2619...Mumbai (LTT) 14:05, Madgaon 00:10, Cancona 00:50. (2A, 3A, SL.)

We had hoped to stay in Goa for 2-3 weeks and then turn our heads north, and somewhere along the way get a car if we couldn't find it in Goa or in the near vecinity.

by the way, I am sorry for the spelling, i kinda wrote the "threat" from the top of my head, but i will do my best to correct the spelling in my upcoming posts. [:

Anyway. I had hoped to live in varanasi for about a months after Mikael goes home, my birthday is in august, so i think it would be a good place to celebrate it.
After August i may be going to Nepal to get a extension on my tourist visa and then travel by train down the east side of the coast, if it fits with the end of the monsoon, i haven't figured it out yet.
When i feel like it, and have reached somewhere down the eastside, i will be going by train all the way to Nepal to travel around.

By May i will have around 16.000usd on my savings account for traveling, so i hope i will be able to extend my trip with up to a half year.

Regarding Kerala, well i would love to go there, so i hope it will fit into my itinerary.

Regarding English and getting to know a few sentences/phrases, i actually live with a guy whose parents are from India, and he speak fluently Hindi, so he will help me with getting stuff like that in place. I have also acquired a copy of pimslurs Hindi where i can listen and try to learn a bit.
[FONT=verdana][/FONT]
Old 8th December 2009, 23:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
By May i will have around 16.000usd on my savings account for traveling, so i hope i will be able to extend my trip with up to a half year.

In 16k USD, you can easily survive here for 1.5 - 2 yrs or maybe, more than that
Closed Thread

Most Viewed