Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 00:12   #1

Warm Hello to everybody.

I cherish an enthusiasm for cars, driving and automobile technology.

It started with my Dad, who is no more. We owned a 1960 Fiat-1100 which my dad drove around Shillong and then Guwahati. He had driven Jeeps too and had very good knowledge about cars.

He had once told me that FIAT was originally an acronym that expands in English to Fabricated Italian Automobile, Turin. (Italian: Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino).

We disposed the Fiat-1100 in 1980 and the only souvenir I have of the car is a unique pocket-sized sliding wrench.

I learnt under-the-hood stuff the hard way:- I was a green-horn when I bought my first car, a lemon. My frustrations with the car and a few car-mechanics, drove me to learn about car parts and it open a world of fascinating stuff.
Of course I did come across several car-mechanics who are gems, really good souls. I became friendly with several. (I was thrilled when once I got a New Year SMS from the ex-foreman of AA Auto, Gurgaon). The guy moved on but I still remember him teaching me about carb fuel-pump.

I find the design of car parts very interesting. When I looked at the steering shaft knuckle for the first time, I was awed imagining the ingenuity of its creator.

I have had my share of brush with manufacturers too. I had to spend a lot of effort to get the entire set of corroded seats replaced in my WagonR under warranty. Recently I had to struggle with a dealer to replace the Horn in my 2009 ANHC.

I used to work for a private sector company in India. Now I am a freelance consultant. My wife's a doc working in the Community/Public Health sector.

Best.
Saptadeep.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to Team-BHP, Saptadeep! Great introduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptadeep View Post
We owned a 1960 Fiat-1100 which my dad drove around Shillong and then Guwahati. He had driven Jeeps too and had very good knowledge about cars.
If you have a soft spot for either of the two marques, I think you are going to fit right in. We have a strong following of Fiats & Jeeps on Team-BHP.

Do take a quick pitstop by our board rules section, just once, for familiarisation. See you over on some interesting tech discussion. Steering wheels perhaps?
Old 19th February 2010, 16:10   #3
CPH
BHPian

Hello Saptadeep,

I am pretty new to this forum to, but who cares- welcome.

It makes me chuckle when I hear stories like yours. At the time happening we are are quite emotional about it. But at one point it puts a smile on our face.

Good thing on lemans is we learn something.

I love Fiats too, but FIAT really stands for Fix It Again Tomorrow. But isn't it what we love on the Italian cars. Great Ideas, good engineering, poor workmanship.
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:30   #4

Thank you.

Thank you @GTO and @CPH.

I sure am going to enjoy my stay here.

Saptadeep.
Old 23rd February 2010, 08:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptadeep View Post

I have had my share of brush with manufacturers too. I had to spend a lot of effort to get the entire set of corroded seats replaced in my WagonR under warranty. Recently I had to struggle with a dealer to replace the Horn in my 2009 ANHC.
Hello Saptadeep. People usually give in to the company and end up paying for stuff themselves. Nice to hear that you did otherwise. As we always say, Team-BHP will always stand for the truth! Nice to have you on board!

Welcome to the Team!

See you around!

Cartman.

Last edited by Cartman : 23rd February 2010 at 08:27. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks