Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2010, 20:08   #1
BHPian

Let's floor it!

Hi T bhpians!

Feels really good to be a part of this community. I have read through several posts before becoming a member and what really excited me was the amazing knowledge repository that this forum is. The kind of inputs that guys got while researching for their next drive almost made it feel like the entire country was looking fwd to and helping them make that decision, and these came from people who don’t just drive cars but live cars. I have always believed that a good driver is someone who knows her car well (not just mechanically but the essence of the car) rather than someone who just ‘drives’ and I found loads of such ‘experts’ in the forums I went through.

I right now fall in the category of a novice when it comes to knowing the mechanicals of my car, more of a hard driver right now, who knows when his car needs some tlc, but I’m sure it’s gonna change rapidly.

A little bit about me, born and brought up in the city of lakes Bhopal, spent the first 22 yrs of my life there, learnt to drive on dad’s padmini at a tender age and rode a bike from a barely legal age (small towns let you do that). A HHCD100, Sleek, Caliber and Pulsar, M800, CJ and Sumo. Living in Bhopal, I grew up with loads of Willys and Ford 52s around, the city has a huge jeep fetish and you see all kind of restored and ‘not restored’ LHD-RHDs, low-high bonnets, doing what they are meant to i.e. traversing the wild. Grew up on a strict diet of auto mags, acquired a huge passion for formula one on the way, a keen eye when it comes to observing cars and a love for the highway life.

Education and career took me out of Bhopal , first to Poona, where I was a public transport user (PMT,PCMT et all), and then my job brought me to Bombay nee Mumbai, and have been in the city since 2004.

Saved up enough in the first year of my job to buy myself a 2001 Accent GLX (in immaculate condition as the dealer put it), after 4.5 yrs of ownership the car has been through everything, even 2.5 feet of water (Mumbai does get wet), wifey learning to drive, several house movements (own and friends), to Bhopal on the broken NH3 (single driver on red bulls ~18hrs), Conoor, umpteen Poona and Goa trips, to a point when its begging for a VRS (Voluntary Retirement Scheme lest you thought it’s something to do with Rally Sport, hazards of being an HR professional).

So my love for long drives and the love for my country and to explore every nook and corner of India, (G-quad, Leh, NE, south …… ) led me to start the search for my next car, and that’s when I started my online research and a string of TDs. Only to come across some awesome experiences shared by T-Bhpians.

Have finally decided on my choice of wheels, and am current shopping around (as suggested by GTO),looking to finalize the deal around the month end and get the delivery around mid May. More of this in the appropriate thread, right now just happy to be around and look fwd to this amazing journey that I have just embarked upon.

Lets floor it.

PS – as I child my preferred career choice was to be a truck/bus driver
Old 16th April 2010, 15:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Slicks, welcome to Team-BHP. Thats a nice write up about yourself.
Although you've decided on your next choice of wheels, you didnt mention which one it is!

Do stop by the Announcements section of the forum for an idea on the forum and posting guidelines. See you around.
Old 16th April 2010, 15:48   #3
BHPian

Its a great write up. Welcome to Team-BHP
Do share your experiences with us about the wheels.
Old 16th April 2010, 16:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP !

I am also from Bhopal. Currently working in Bangalore.

Good to see some more Bhopalis in the Team.

BTW, which area of Bhopal do you belong to ? Let me guess, are you from old city (since you mentioned the jeep fetish).

Rohan
Old 16th April 2010, 23:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP !

I am also from Bhopal. Currently working in Bangalore.

Good to see some more Bhopalis in the Team.

BTW, which area of Bhopal do you belong to ? Let me guess, are you from old city (since you mentioned the jeep fetish).

Rohan
Tx Rohan.
Yeah keeping the Bhopali flag flying. Spent the entire years living in the 5 no area, went to Campion for 14 years and had loads of friends in old Bhopal and thus had the pleasure of sampling some of those classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Slicks, welcome to Team-BHP. Thats a nice write up about yourself.
Although you've decided on your next choice of wheels, you didnt mention which one it is!

Do stop by the Announcements section of the forum for an idea on the forum and posting guidelines. See you around.
Tx benbsb29.
Well my new car will make me invest time, energy and money in a second relationship (1st being marriage) that i will start once i get the car. They say it lets you reclaim your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Its a great write up. Welcome to Team-BHP
Do share your experiences with us about the wheels.
Tx yogesh.

Thanks a ton guys for the warm welcome, also came along a thread on scale models, saw some amazing will spend the weekend dusting, cleaning and clicking pictures of some of mine
Old 17th April 2010, 10:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
Tx Rohan.
Yeah keeping the Bhopali flag flying. Spent the entire years living in the 5 no area, went to Campion for 14 years and had loads of friends in old Bhopal and thus had the pleasure of sampling some of those classics.
Its a small world man !

I have also stayed in 5 no for quite some time, later moved to 1100.
(I'm sure all the non-Bhopalis would be scratching their heads reading our code language - 5 no, 1100 etc)

I also went to Campion, I passed out in 97. Which batch are you from ?

Rohan
Old 17th April 2010, 23:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Its a small world man !

I have also stayed in 5 no for quite some time, later moved to 1100.
(I'm sure all the non-Bhopalis would be scratching their heads reading our code language - 5 no, 1100 etc)

I also went to Campion, I passed out in 97. Which batch are you from ?

Rohan
Yeah they would be.

Me passed out 98, was in Gandhi house

posting some pics of a very close friend's jeep, who recently bought and refurbished it. (Mods pls remove the pics if this is not the appropriate place for them. Have permission from my friend to post them.)
Attached Thumbnails
Let's floor it!-j1.jpg  

Let's floor it!-j2.jpg  

Let's floor it!-66ed.jpg  

Let's floor it!-1993.jpg  

Old 18th April 2010, 11:41   #8
Team-BHP Support

You still did not mention which one is your next buy.
Old 19th April 2010, 15:57   #9
BHPian

I did, although cheekily ..."Well my new car will make me invest time, energy and money in a second relationship (1st being marriage) that i will start once i get the car. They say it lets you reclaim your life."

And. you can read my post here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...lose-deal.html
Old 20th April 2010, 12:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

That's one 'hot' flooring in intro itself. Impressed to see yet another Petrolhead. Welcome to this wonderful place of wheels and more. Sure you will find it more exciting day by day. Keep up the crisp writing mate. Named your handle right -"Slicks". Welcome.
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
That's one 'hot' flooring in intro itself. Impressed to see yet another Petrolhead. Welcome to this wonderful place of wheels and more. Sure you will find it more exciting day by day. Keep up the crisp writing mate. Named your handle right -"Slicks". Welcome.
Thanks Raja.

Thanks for your wished guys, i booked my GX on Friday now waiting for the vehicle to arrive
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks