Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 12:15   #1
Mik
BHPian

The journey so far: And the new innings

Thanks for approving my membership. Have been an avid follower over the last few months and now would like to contribute and learn here.

A bit about me:

The year 1988: I was just a small kid then. Papa had a Mini-Bullet(200 cc - don't remember the exact name)
We lived in Darjeeling and made frequent trips from Lebong(the army base) to the main markets. Sitting on the petrol tank, i used to shout with joy when he took corners and overtook cars. The cool wind on my cheeks, i used to stretch my arms out just to soak in feeling. I guess that was the start of my love affairs with motorcycles.

Jump to 1999:
A trusty Bajaj Chetak and a Maruti 800 adorned the garage. Wasn't really a big fan of the car because papa made me wash it and didn't even let me sit in the front seat :(
My rebellious streak was boiling over, brimming over with teenage angst and i learnt driving the chetak in a fit of rage - stumbling and stalling. Papa didn't appreciate this but with tuitions in various corners of the city coupled with a horrible transport system, he had no choice.
Ofcourse, i did get a bucketful of lecture regarding "appreciation of money", "buy your own bike", "buy your own car"-the reason given for not letting me touch the car.
Did take it out once and managed to clock 65 kmph in the third gear -again - stalling. Wasn't able to engage the 4th. That day, he decided that he will teach me the basics, but constant shouting (you know how an infantry colonel is) and i said, mustering up all my rebelliousness and sense of pride "No need to teach me. I will buy my own car"
He was happy!! Darn that, didn't take the bait.

Fast Forward to 2007:
Was out of college and one year into the job. Had saved enough to buy the best bike in the market then, The pulsar 220. A day after India won the T20 world championship, i got my gleaming red beauty and aptly christened the 220 as the T20 (A tribute to the win and T72 tank)

Completed my running in in the hills of mussoorie and ever since, have been in love with it. Numerous tours - some documented on xBhp, and i was one big bike junkie who hated cars and their mannerisms (Take a bike from Delhi to Haridwar and you will understand what i am talking about)

Then, something happened - I fell in love and got married in 2009. We made many trips on the bike but deep down inside i knew that in a city like Gurgaon, the car was a necessity.

Will detail the whole experience of thinking/dreaming/choosing/buying the car on a seperate thread or on this thread only - not sure where to post that. Do let me know.

Well, thats about it. Now the owner of a pre-owned Zen Estilo (oh yes!! our kind exists) and in love, once again
My love in the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
The journey so far: And the new innings-img_6608resizedmedium.jpg  

Old 17th September 2010, 14:07   #2
BHPian

Hi Mik
Welcome to team bhp
I liked your style of writing.Very nostalgic And that picture is fantastic
Regards
Sreehari.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:31   #3
BHPian

Yeah, good with your words.
Hi there Mik.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:52   #4
Joy
BHPian

Welcome to TBHP. Have a wonderful stay. Nice writing.

Start a new thread at Test Drive & Ownership regarding your car ownership.
Old 17th September 2010, 22:54   #5
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Hi Mik
Welcome to team bhp
I liked your style of writing.Very nostalgic And that picture is fantastic
Regards
Sreehari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manubhai View Post
Yeah, good with your words.
Hi there Mik.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Welcome to TBHP. Have a wonderful stay. Nice writing.

Start a new thread at Test Drive & Ownership regarding your car ownership.
Thanks. Will do that over the weekend.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:43   #6
BHPian

Hi Mik,
Welcome to the team. I am not an army type but your description of a father fits quite well with my son's description of his father; ha ha. I have neither explanations nor excuses for our terrible behavior. My son too wants to buy a super-bike once he starts raking in the moolah. Your car looks lovely. Enjoy your ride and drive safely.
Old 18th September 2010, 13:27   #7
BHPian

Hi mik ,
If the picture was taken by you ,then I will suggest to post it in the auto image thread..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks