Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2010, 07:22   #1
BHPian

Hello from Vancouver!

Hello friends,

I've been on here for a little bit now and am just over whelmed trying to go through all the information on here. A lot of it, and good info as well. It’s great to finally get a perspective from like minded individuals on that side of the pond. Internet is great, definitely brings the world a lot closer together! Thought might as well do up a proper introduction thread now as i'm not going to catch up with all the reading anytime soon.

A little bit about me. As the title states, I live in Vancouver, born and raised. I've been to India on several occasions through out the years. We used to come out almost every second year mainly to visit with my great grandparents. I have not been back since approx. 2004. I haven't traveled a heck of a lot through out the country which I regret at this stage as our visits usually started and ended in Delhi. I have seen a few things though bigger ones being the Golden Temple, Taj Mahal as well as the sites through out Delhi. Every time I returned I was always impressed with the progress the country was making as a whole which was quite evident and in your face. One of the more notable one upon last visit was the switch to CNG on the public transport vehicles. Made a dent in the smog issue from what I could tell.

Now to the automotive side. I've been involved with cars/bikes since I was about 14 years old. Mostly playing with dirt bikes and go karts. I was always spoiled by my mamma ji who also taught me the art of driving at the age of 12. I worked on my very first vehicle starting at age of 15. I got a Chevy S-10 pick up with front end damage by my mamma ji who at the time said "lets see what you can do". Without proper knowledge at the time, I fixed that truck in my garage at home and got it driving with only basic hand tools. In high school and a couple years after that I was involved in drag racing locally, 1/4 miles. Raced with a 1979 Chevy Camaro with a big block in it for one season and Chevy Vega there after with a stroked 383 which started life as a 350. That was a fun car!

From those days things have changed somewhat. I've been involved in car audio since I was approx. 17 years old. I got my first job at a local car audio shop. While going to college, in a completely unrelated field, two years later I opened up my own audio shop at the age of 19 and have been going strong since. During that time I had also taken jobs in auto body shops and mechanical repair shops to basically figure out those trades or as they say, get my feet wet. I'd like to think my business has usually been part time for me, due to studies and getting jobs in a field of my studies. Part time of course being a relative term. However natural progression has forced me to expand but I’ve been lucky enough that I’ve been able to pick and choose what I want to deal with.

First progression was expanding from just car audio and getting into performance related items and from there pretty much doing anything custom car related, both sales and installs. We’ve also dabbled in custom motorbikes and have done some Miami style street bikes to some mild choppers. From there we got into mid to high end home theaters and encompassing home automation and audio. Currently I’m looking at options to expand into a distributorship for automotive and motorcycle parts possibly services as well at some point mainly in international markets especially in India.
Wow, I’ve typed a lot. Now if you haven’t fallen asleep from reading all that on to my current vehicles. I currently have a Chevy Astro van which has been a custom project from day one and mostly a shop demo vehicle. I started competing in sound quality divisions with it, went to SPL and now it’s being torn apart again for hopefully it’s last rendition but complete makeover in and out.
My next purchase was a Kawasaki Ninja 6R. This was my first street bike. I haven’t done a heck of a lot to it. Added a few little tid bits here and there. One day, if I ever get the time, I’d like to do a bit more to it, custom paint and all.
Next was a daily driver but criteria was to have a fun car. What can be more fun than a tuner with a turbo with a potential to outrun v-8’s? I bought myself a Spicy Orange Mazdaspeed Protégé. I’ll be sure to post up all the modifications in this thread in a bit but there is a huge list so I won’t do it now.
My latest acquisition is a 1962 Impala. Over the summer I’ve stripped her down to a bare frame and the fun will begin in the spring. The body looks like it’s too far gone to save but I am saving what I can. In the end i’d like to end up with a 1961 or 62 convertible with complete air ride suspension also custom in and out.
Well , enough of me yapping here. I’ll let the pics do a bit of the talking here for now….
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Vancouver!-speed.jpg  

Old 17th October 2010, 09:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum, that's quite a comprehensive introduction. The summer project sounds great; do share.
Old 17th October 2010, 09:56   #3
BHPian

my apologies folks. the pics i'm trying to upload appear to be too large in size for the forum to support. unfortunately i'm not too savvy on re sizing them. in the meantime here are some older ones to tide you over.

first is one of the bike and the astro van pre lowering. second pic is of the first stereo set up i had in it. third one is a custom door panel i made for the van. it was done with real carbon fiber on the inside. nothing structural but purely looks. a little dirty but it cleaned up especially nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Vancouver!-my-toys.jpg  

Hello from Vancouver!-astro-stereo-old.jpg  

Hello from Vancouver!-img_0492_1_1.jpg  

Old 17th October 2010, 10:12   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Welcome to the forum, that's quite a comprehensive introduction. The summer project sounds great; do share.
if i can get those pics re sized somehow i'll post up what i have of that project. i have yet to go take some pics of a friends 1964 impala which we did a complete frame off restoration on and rebuilt in a california lowrider style as requested in another thread.

i'm hoping i'll have a couple of renderings soon as well for both the astro and impala projects showing my vision for both those projects. stay tuned.

and thank you for the warm welcome.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:54   #5
BHPian

well folks i thought i'd finally get to posting the specs on my mazdaspeed. here is what's done to it.

2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder producing 185hp (ultimate goal just over 200 hp)
  • Turbocharger system co-engineered with Callaway Cars featuring a Garrett T25 ball-bearing turbocharger and air-to-air intercooler
  • recirculated bypass valve
  • AEM cold air intake
  • (upgraded motor mounts, intercooler and intercooler piping next summer, possibility of a dual blow off valve)
Drivetrain:
  • Tochigi Fuji torque sensing Limited Slip Differential
  • Heavy duty drive shafts
  • Heavy duty clutch and pressure plate
Suspension:
  • Racing Beat lowering springs, front and rear large diameter front and rear stabilizer bars
  • Tokico dampers
  • GTSpec trunk cage painted to match car
Braking:
  • European spec ventilated front disc and solid rear disc with high friction brake pads (changing to slotted KVR's in the spring along with hawk brake pads)
  • Silver painted brake calipers
Exhaust:
  • Magnaflow cat back mated to a callaway down pipe from the turbo (currently have 2 cats for emissions testing, hoping to delete for better flow=more power)
Tires/Wheels:
  • Bridgestone Potenza 215/45ZR17 Z-rated tires
  • Custom Racing Hart 17x7 aluminum alloy wheels and wheel locks with Super Silver finish
Lighting:
  • Large diameter front fog lights
  • Sport pink smoke taillights
Exterior Trim:
  • Rear skirt and side sills
  • Unique rear wing with center high mounted stop lamp
  • Aggressive front fascia with wind splitter
  • Satin finish badging
Audio:
  • 450 watt AM/FM/CD/MP3 Kenwood audio system with liquid gel 3-D screen, wireless remote control and self-hiding/removable faceplate
  • 7-speaker system features four mid-base[sic] speakers, two tweeters, and one 250-watt subwoofer. The subwoofer and accompanying amplifier are located in the rear package tray.
  • antennae embedded into rear glass
Interior Trim:
  • Unique one off Sparco designed seats in alcantara upholstery with orange stitching
  • Sparco aluminum and leather shift knob with shortened shift lever
  • Sparco aluminum foot pedals
  • Nardi 3-spoke leather wrapped two tone tilt steering wheel with orange stitching
  • Scuff plates with stainless steel inserts and MAZDASPEED logo
  • alcantara door panel inserts
Extras:
  • I've also added a Compustar paging alarm with a built in turbo timer. did a high security install on it. nothing is visible under the dash to denote the presence of an alarm.
Colors:
  • Spicy Orange, exclusive to MAZDASPEED, production limited to 600 vehicles
the spicy orange color was only available for half a year in 2003 only. Canada got only 250 total in this color across the country. Mid point in the year Mazda released two new colors, titanium gray and a yellow. i think i've got everything, hopefully i didn't leave anything out.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks