Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 01:18   #1
BHPian

My experience with the Maruti Swift @ 1,16,000 kms

Dear All,
At the outset let me first express my admiration to all the Team – BHPians for the great work and the great community! I have been an admirer and member of Team – BHP since Feb 2009 and have been using it very often to take advice and suggestions by going through the portal and the archives. Though a NEWBEI, this is my first detailed post and hope the moderators would be kind enough to edit and let the post become HOT!

It was Great to go through the reviews on the Long term ownership of Swift.Incidentally my baby (swift Lxi April 2007) also hit 65000 kms last month. It is indeed a Driver's car and a pleasure to own, not to mention the low cost of ownership. However I would like to share some of the observations in last 4 yrs of ownership for my baby which is mostly driven in city..my work in Sales ensures I drive a minimum 80 kms on weekdays..though the effortless driving of swift ensures enough energy is left in me at the end of the day..still the worsening Hyderabad Traffic is taking a toll on both of us. Some of the important observations that I experienced in the long term ownership of Swift Lxi are mentioned below.Let me start from the beginning;-

Buying Process: Clearing the Old Stock.. -I bought the CAR after much research and negotiation from ACER motors, Secunderabad, mostly because the Sales Rep came us as very frank and straight forward guy and offerred a cash discount of Rs 35000/- on the Swift (that I have already made up my mind to buy..i fell for her looks initially later the mechanics took over). I think part of the reason for cash discount was that i negotiated at the end of financial year March end and partly because sales of Swift were lean during those days. The shocker came to me when I inquired the model of the car (make- month and year) and was told that what I would be getting is the one that was manufactured in Dec 2006 as the old stocks has to be cleared first. My friend from Automotive industry told me that "model of the car" is an important factor while deciding the resale value of the car and change in year can actually make a difference of Rs 20,000 or so. I insisted on a CAR made in 2007 and preferably in March along with the cash discount that was offered and had to wait till April for the my Baby to arrive. Nevertheless I still feel that decision will do good when it comes to look for new owner of the car.

The first and most important observation - Its a driver's car and a pleasure to own, enough has been said on the good/ positive points of swift

The other small observations are mentioned below-

A Manufacturing problem --The incident with the Car happened in July 2007 when I reported a sound coming from suspension of the front right tyre. It was after the first servicing and the Service Advisor at Acer suggested that it was coming from Steering Rack (or assembly?) and that it is a manufacturing defect that Maruti Suzuki will replace the steering Rack free of cost. I was surprised and in turn contacted the Maruti Suzuki engineers who then asked me to get the vehicle at dealership for a test drive to confirm the same. The engineer was nice enough to come down on time and took a test drive and confirmed that it’s a manufacturing problem and that some of the steering racks are faulty and will be replaced free of cost. The head of service at the MASS told me that I would need to leave the vehicle for two days with them as the entire thing has to be dismantled and then replaced. He however suggested that it may take some time before they get the necessary pats from MAruti Suzuki and that he would in turn inform me once the parts are received. The arrangement of the parts however took more than two months and 3 -4 follow ups with the dealer and the Maruti engineers. Later in September 2007 they replaced the steering rack and also serviced the vehicle without using the discount coupon for the second service. I though this way they did not record the incident of replacement of steering rack. Anyways this does seem that it took care of the problem as the noise never occurred again. DID anyone on Team – BHP knew of a similar incident involved with Maruti Suzuki or for that matter any other Car manufacturer?

A damaged Tubeless tyre can be used as a Tube tyre -The other noticeable incident was involved with the Tubeless tyres. Same year one night in July, while starting for home, in my office basement I noticed a flat tyre (front left). It was late at night so I had to change the tyres on my own. Later when I took the tyre to one of the puncture repair shop (had a difficult time finding one who could repair the tubeless tyres) I was told that tyre is damaged beyond repair. Next day I took it to the MASS and they also told me the same. I was shocked as it was not even 3 months since I bought the car and had already two major problems (other one with steering rack). I again sought help of Maruti engineer who was at dealership then and he also suggested the same thing. They told me that tyre has hit some hard object that has speared the wall of the tyre and that the tyre is not under warranty. They offered to take the photographs and send it to J K tyres . I was disappointed and visited the regional J K Tyres office for a second view. They also confirmed my worst fear and that this tyre was lost for good. However one of the fellows there suggested that since the tyre was in good shape apart from the small spear on the outside wall of the tyre, it can be used as a spare tyre with a tube inside. I asked him if he could put the tube inside and he offered me all the help. I am still using the same tyre (used couple of times till got the punctured one repaired) as a spare tyre with a tube inside and hard rubber patch at the place of the spear for additional safety. Comments are invited.
Change of Engine Oil – After and incident less driving for nearly 45000 kms with regular servicing, one day on a regular service, the SA at MASS suggested the change of engine oil to Mobile 1 syntetic Engine oil. He gave me a lot of information about the oil and the reasons why my vehicle needs it. I reluctantly agreed and it cost me something like RS 2800 (for 3 and half litres). Though I must say the change of oil did good to my Baby and she was less noisy more peppy and returned almost 14.5 km to a litre, A good two points improvement to earlier 12.5 kmpl. I would request more insight from the fellow BHPians on the recommended engine oil and the science of Engine oils. I am sure there would be some link, would appreciate if I am guided to the right link.

Change of Tyres – At 50,000 kms, on one of my regular service schedules, the SA pointed out the worn tyres of the vehicle and advised to go for new tyres before going on a long drive. We have planned to go to Srisailam during monsoon and I thought that the advise made sense as I have been driving mostly in City and never actually noticed the worn out tyres. Nevertheless I felt the need for second opinion and got it cross checked at Cross- Overs ( a neighborhood Car accessories shop). The owner appeared to be a car enthusiast and sounded pretty knowledgeable. He also recommended the tyres to be changed before a long drive. He also offered to get some rebate in exchange for the old tyres. Finally I got the 4 new Bridgestone tyres for my baby, the fifth one still the tubeless with tube inside. Cross Over fellow also filled Nitrogen in the tyres mentioning that it will maintain longer air pressure, would be more stable etc etc..charged Rs 100 for that. I request more insight on use of Nitrogen from fellow members.

Change of Clutch – During the same 50 K servicing the SA after taking the Test drive suggested that we will change the clutch on the next scheduled service, I asked him why and he said that it appeared a little stiff and that after too much of driving in City, the clutch tends to wear out faster. Well I didn’t notice the stiffness in the clutch but I agreed with the second part of his statement, city driving leads to more use of clutch and may lead to early wear n tear. However I left the thought as the next servicing was still some 6 months away. I would need more advice on change of Clutch though my vehicle has not given me any trouble with regards to clutch till now.

Starting trouble / Change of Battery – This has happened very recently ..around 64000 Kms. After having dinner we went out for Ice creams, I switched off the engine and the lights with only radio playing for a while. After that the vehicle would not start. But on switching the headlights, the light was proper..i mean bright enough as it should be. I was confused as it has never occurred earlier, in my old fiat the lights would not come up or go dim, if the battery was discharged. I called up the Maruti on Road service and they said to try push start the vehicle..sure enough it worked. Next day I showed the vehicle to the same SA at MASS and he told me that Battery has to be replaced. I had enough of his replacement remedy, still I reasoned with him. Not convinced I decided to have a second opinion…meanwhile this has happened twice, has to do push start always. Please give me a second opinion on the life of OEM Battery and the recommended change.

Smelly Air Conditioning: Though the A/c provided is best in class in terms of rapid cooling. It does tends to catch the outside smell many a times. I have tried to figure out the same and made it a point to be serviced 3rd servicing onwards, it still does catches outside smell sometimes.
Body noise: The frequent body noise, rattle and crank is something where Maruti Suzuki have lots of scope for improvement. The noise becomes more evident after 30,000 - 40 000 km and is profound on uneven roads and /or when the vehicle is fully loaded. The noise inside cabin also seems to increase after 35 – 40000 kms. There is obviously lots of scope for improvement in reducing the noise levels in cabin and from body.

During the drive to 65000 kms, my wiper blades were changed once (after 3 monsoons), the headlights once( after 2 yrs), the left door lock – once and it cost around Rs 650/-, I had 6 full servicing done, with last 3 servicing costing around Rs 6500 – 7300 on an average. The tyres were replaced for Rs 11,000 approx. I had one small accident with a drunk Carriage Auto in 2008 and most of it was taken care by Insurance.

Overall , I am a proud owner of Maruti Swift and plan to retain the vehicle as a second car as I start hunting for a new Diesel vehicle.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2011 at 16:17. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post
MaNishi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 14:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Updated > 116000 kms experience with the Swift Lxi

Well, It takes lot of guts to update an ownership report with ZERO views, but the addiction with TEAM-BHP and an urge to record the experience with my first Car, is pushing me to contribute to this wonderful community.

My Swift LXI 2007 model hit 115000 kms in March this year. I am the soul driver of the car and have recently shifted to Madhapur, reducing my daily driving to work by almost 90%, (60 kms to 6 kms).

Car has undergone a second set of tyre change - Yoko A drive, a third clutch replacement, actually two in last six months. There are more than enough body noise from all sides, but since I hardly spend 20 mins in a day with her, it does not bother me. She still delivers an mileage in excess of 13 kms to a litre (though haven't checked at full tank level in a while). I intend to keep her for another couple of years as a second car. I am looking forward to own an automatic from C segment in next 3-6 months.

One of the important issue that has started troubling me is that the SA (actually the Works Supervisors) at Varun motors told that the engine is nearing its life and that It may not last beyond additional 20k kms.

I was actually dishearten on hearing that. On further inquiring, he told that he could see traces of engine oil/petrol in spark plugs and that in his experience he has seen the petrol engines of swift degrading after 70-80 k also. He actually advised me not to keep it for another two years rather go for an exchange in another 3- 4 months. Lately even I have been noticing that car's pick up has been falling and I need to shift to second gear more often.

This is troubling me on two accounts :-

1. I planned to keep this as my primary car for work (barely a distance of 6 kms both sides included- not more than 300 kms in a month), I hv always used synthetic mobile1 engine oil every year of service and was pretty confident that car would serve me for another 2 years. This plan needs to change now and a second small car at home is becoming unavoidable.

2. Secondly, I wanted to go for another petrol car from C segment (Automatic) that would be primarily used by wife for her work and weekend drives. Now I am in a doubt whether the petrol engines are less durable than the Diesel ones as I know of Meru cars that are still running fine with odo at more than 3.5 lakhs.

Would request some insights from the experts and fellow BHPians on this.

Thanks

Manish
MaNishi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 14:41   #3
BHPian

Re:Updated >> 115000 kms experience with the Swift

Dear BHPians,

Please guide me on the issue of Engine of Swift Petrol, 2007 model as mentioned in my previous post. (Mods :- Need some attention on the post, I dont know if it visible to other members?)

I also request more information on the Tyres. I have recently changed the Tyres to YOKOHAMA A Drives - 225/70/14. Car has not driven more than 50 kms on the new set of tyres.

Yesterday I have driven to RGIA via ring road and the vehicle seemed to have very less grip on the road. I was not very confident while driving the distance of 40 kms to the Airport. It appeared that the steering was very very light, tyres behaved as if they are very stiff/hard with very low grip on the road. Every small modulation on the road was being felt inside the cabin.

Just want to understand - if all that has something to do with new tyres or the pressure in tyres. Is their something like run in time for tyres after which they will settle down.

Please guide.

Thanks
Manish
MaNishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 17:14   #4
BHPian

re: My experience with the Maruti Swift @ 1,16,000 kms

Hey Manish,
I donot know about the engine but I can tell you one thing about the tyres.
The air in the tyres usuallly expand in summers hence making the ride a bit bouncy, so please check the air pressure on the tyres and how old are these tyres?
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 10:48   #5
BHPian

Re: My experience with the Maruti Swift @ 1,16,000 kms

Hi Manish,
I also own swift zxi - sept 2007 model. Till now I have covered 92,000 kms out of which 51 k is on cng. Recently changed clutch plate @ 90k servicing and yes I am too facing the out side smell issue.
And touch-wood I haven't faced any niggle so far ... !!!
vijay_rodie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 12:52   #6
BHPian

Regarding engine:
Ask the service centre to do a compression test and post the results here. Since your daily use is low even if the engine needs some work you get it done and keep the car. It will be much cheaper than buying a new car.

However changing clutch plate twice in last 6 months seems like an issue to me. What was the reason for that?

Light steering and loss of grip indicates worn out tyre, over inflated tyre. Check these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post
Dear BHPians,

I also request more information on the Tyres. I have recently changed the Tyres to YOKOHAMA A Drives - 225/70/14. Car has not driven more than 50 kms on the new set of tyres.
This doesn't seem to be right upgrade for Swift. Please check the Swift tyre upgrade thread for further details.

Last edited by archat68 : 10th June 2014 at 12:54.
archat68 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 00:53   #7
BHPian

Dear Arch68 and Vijai_rodie,

Thanks for your input, would get the engine pressure tested next week, I just wanted to know if the problem with Swift petrol engine normally creeps in after 1 lakhs Kms or so. If any one else has driven this much or shared a long term ownership report, that would help.

The third time clutch plate replacement was a big disappointment.

1st time when I got it replaced, i think I have driven her for some 66k Kms, 2nd time it was at 114k kms, I was told that these two clutch replacements were as part of normal wear and tear. Also better half was learning to drive during that period -(between odo of 110 to 114 K) so I could attribute it to massive clutch slipping while learning to drive and the consequent wearing of clutch plates.

The third one was within 2000 kms and 3 months, I was the only driver. The MASS guys told me that there is no guarantee of the spare parts and that we can not say if my driving was not at fault.

Anyways, now that I have got then replaced and serviced, my baby is running fine and is quick to respond. Its only that when the car is loaded and on steep inclines I need to shift to lower gears much more frequently and some times move to first gear.

Thanks Dean 5545, I checked the tyre pressure and was shocked to see that each of them had a pressure of 55 psi, got it reduced to 33 psi, now the tyres have grip and are behaving properly.

Manish
MaNishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 12:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for your input, would get the engine pressure tested next week, I just wanted to know if the problem with Swift petrol engine normally creeps in after 1 lakhs Kms or so. If any one else has driven this much or shared a long term ownership report, that would help.

The third one was within 2000 kms and 3 months,
Suzuki petrol engines are very robust. They should not go kaput in 1Lakh KM unless abused. Even if the engine has some serious issue I think you can get the the engine overhauled from MASS. Even with a half engine block this should not cost you more than 60K.

I doubt even if the worst driver can destroy a clutch in 2000KM!! This is some servicing issue. Take your car to another MASS or a reputed local garage. Clutch servicing with MGP spares should not cost you more than 5-6K (Max) from a FNG.

Get your car serviced from a competent workshop - 1lakh KM is nothing for these new age engines if taken care of properly.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 16:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:

The third time clutch plate replacement was a big disappointment.

1st time when I got it replaced, i think I have driven her for some 66k Kms, 2nd time it was at 114k kms, I was told that these two clutch replacements were as part of normal wear and tear. Also better half was learning to drive during that period -(between odo of 110 to 114 K) so I could attribute it to massive clutch slipping while learning to drive and the consequent wearing of clutch plates.

The third one was within 2000 kms and 3 months, I was the only driver. The MASS guys told me that there is no guarantee of the spare parts and that we can not say if my driving was not at fault.

Anyways, now that I have got then replaced and serviced, my baby is running fine and is quick to respond. Its only that when the car is loaded and on steep inclines I need to shift to lower gears much more frequently and some times move to first gear.

Thanks Dean 5545, I checked the tyre pressure and was shocked to see that each of them had a pressure of 55 psi, got it reduced to 33 psi, now the tyres have grip and are behaving properly.

Manish
I have had similar issues with my last clutch, lasted just 5k, with normal driving. Now, I have replaced it at a FNG with Maruti genuine parts. Mine has run 66K so far, with first clutch at 40K, second at 61K, third at 65K.

I could not see any update about your battery, what was the solution? I had to change my battery when the car was approx 3 years old. We went for a Amaron Flo model with 2+2 years warranty.

For your engine, go to another Maruti A.S.S or a good FNG in your neighbourhood and get it checked again. As mentioned above, get a compression test etc done. When did you change your spark plugs? Clean the throttle body? This engine should last you much more.

Last edited by latentpotential : 11th June 2014 at 16:27.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 09:57   #10
BHPian

I got the battery changed after 3 years and 8 months, changed it to SF model (cant remember the complete name). The battery is still doing fine although during one of the evaluation of vehicle, the True Value people told me that battery is nearing its end of life.

With regards to spark plugs, I understand they were changed during servicing last year, all four of them, it was close to 98000 Kms then.

I am not sure about throttle body, have got the complete vehicle history from MASS on email, will go through that.

Hoping the engine would service me for much longer period, was just wondering if anyone on the forum has driven swift petrol beyond 1 lakhs kms, just to get some perspective.

The visit ton service station is still due, will plan next week.

Thanks

Manish
Old 17th June 2014, 16:29   #11
BHPian

IIRC there are a couple of users in this forum who have ran their G13BB Swifts past 100000 kms. The same engine was on MPFI Esteems, and many including my uncle has clocked more than 150000 kms without any engine issues.

There was a thread regarding Esteem longevity in that everyone agrees the engine is bulletproof.
quadbike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 14:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
IIRC there are a couple of users in this forum who have ran their G13BB Swifts past 100000 kms. The same engine was on MPFI Esteems, and many including my uncle has clocked more than 150000 kms without any engine issues.

There was a thread regarding Esteem longevity in that everyone agrees the engine is bulletproof.
my swift is 2005 model, driven 115000 kms till date. Running mobil1 synthetic since 2009, NO engine problems so far. The following is the service history

1. Changed clutch & spark plugs in 2007 - 17000 kms
2. Changed stock tyres to BS potenza G3 in 2009 35000 kms
3. Changed radiator (due to leak), thermostat housing (cracked), valve cover gasket, brake pads (turned rotors) in 2010 - 45000 kms
4. Changed lower radiator hose (leak), stabilizer links, rear shockers, front structs (complete kit), wheel bearings (both) in 2011 - 70000 kms
5. Changed both rotors, brake pads. Pulled HVAC unit out of dash and cleaned evaportor, repacked it & installed in 2012 - 90000 kms
6. Replaced timing belt, timing belt tensioner, all four spark plugs to iridium plugs in 2013 - 100000 kms

Apart from these regular oil changes every 10000 kms, transmission fluid change every 50000 kms & coolant change while replacing radiator & lower radiator hose.

There are no issues with engine, expect one very small leak identified now through front crankshaft seal which im yet to replace. Apart from that since 2012 there is a noise in ac compressor (although the compressor works well A/C cooling is more than adequate).

One important point here is in the above mentioned service schedule everything from pt 4 is done by me only (DIY) and the vehicle has not seen a service center or local mechanic expect for insurance renewals or water service.

The clutch now is nearly gone & its only 25% functional having driven the vehicle more than 100000 kms since last replacement. I will be replacing it with after market ones (not genuine MGP) in the month of March or April.

Last edited by ravigop : 17th February 2016 at 14:26.
ravigop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 10:27   #13
BANNED

Following modification to a 7 year old swift

Hi,

I am in Faridabad currently and I have a 2009 non-K series swift LXI. It is out of warranty and has started giving some problem but has run only for 35k kms so I dont want to sell it off.

Specifically:
1. I am getting warning/hazard lights automatically turning on randomly while driving. No clue why that is happening.

2. Driver side central door lock doesnt get locked with key, other doors get locked. Wiring/electrical issue?

3. Music system automatically gets turned off repeatedly & I have to turn it on again. Also, it has stopped reading pen drives! I feel there is some loose wiring.

4. In general, I feel something is wrong with wiring. (The battery is new!)

5. The headlamp bulbs are very weak, I am not able to see at night. I have got a philips 130w relay & thinking of buying a suitable bulb (Xtreme Vision / Rally). With all the electrical problems I am facing, I do not want to put additional pressure on my wiring/battery with new lamps. So thinking of going for Xtreme Vision instead of Rally bulbs.

6. I need to install a USB charger. The car does not even have a cig lighter holder. Also, in most of the cars, the usb charging is very weak. My android phone supports quick charge & I require a decent speed charger. Any suggestions?

7. Can someone recommend a service shop in Faridabad which is reliable and also cheap to do all these things?

If some kind soul can help me on above issues, I will be thankful!

Thank you.

Last edited by noopster : 29th October 2016 at 12:14. Reason: Merged with an existing Swift Lxi thread
Old 18th June 2023, 10:49   #14

Bumping up this old thread in appreciation of my 2013 Swift ZXI that completes 10 years this year. I had bought it used in 2018 sold it in Dec 2022 and bought it back this month ��. So it's seen multiple drivers.

Has run over 1 lakh kms and the engine still runs super punchy. The car is still giving an average of 17 kmpl in city in Mumbai with normal traffic conditions and lots of highway in between. I mainly drive below 100 kmph. Absolutely no issues with the car whatsoever. And still brings a smile to my face every time I downshift and step on the accelerator.
Attached Thumbnails
My experience with the Maruti Swift @ 1,16,000 kms-img20230528130940.jpg  

loungefly is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks