Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2013, 01:00   #46
BHPian

re: My 3 Cylinder Ride - Maruti Wagon R VXI ABS - 11 years / 90,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
On road came to 5.8Lacs with corporate discount , loyalty bonus,insurance and some other discount. Yes I needed the driving experience as I got addicted to the Ford driving experience
Great! Wishing you a wonderful time ahead with the car.

BTW, The Waggie is ready for the 30k servie (29.6k on the Odo now). Planning to go with Popular A. S. S this time too as I've not had anything much to complain about all these years. Have noticed a few issues:

1) Rattle from the front left seat (i guess the storage box under the seat) and the Boot lid.
2) Noise from the front suspension, esp on the LHS. Going over a small bump or undulated surface makes this audible and this got pronounced after the recent trip to ekm I had updated about (read "Horrible roads")
3) Very sluggish at crawling speeds.
4) Engaging 1st is a task at times!

The car has a few bruises here and there. But I guess there's no point complaining as these things do happen during regular city use. The rear bumper cracked while mom was reversing and there's a bruise on the Left Rear door too. I'l get the Door work done but I might leave the bumper work for someother time I guess.

Is there anything in particular that I should take note of in the 30k service?
Old 19th September 2013, 13:28   #47
BHPian

Onam Hometown trip and 30k is UP!

The car just finished an Onam Special trip to our Hometown, Thrissur, and the odo has now surpassed the 30 k mark and presently stands at 30442 km!

Had just two people in the car throughout - myself and my sis.

On Day 1, 14th sept, we first went to our cousins home at Kottayam (kumaranallur) via the MC road. There was too much traffic and we took 5+ hours to do the 160 km stretch without any breaks. Nice roads from Tvm till Chengannur and very poor roads from there on. But the condition was a little better than the way it was a couple of months back

On Day 2, 15th Sept, we, along with our uncle and family, visited the Chottanikkara and Thrikkakkara temples and then headed to Thrissur. They were in their sparkling new Maruti Ritz VXi and travelling in multiple cars is kind of fun! The roads were awesome, though two lane till the NH. The 4 lane NH was good as expected. Traffic was modest. We turned towards the Irinjalakkuda road to avoid the toll and we did not want to enter the city as our place, Cherpu, comes before that.

On Day 4, 17th Sept, after an awesome Onam, my sis and I started our return journey along with my cousin in our car. He was to get down at Vytilla. We started by around 8 am, dropped him at Vytilla. My sis wanted to hit the LULU Mall as she's never been there. So we went back and spent a good 2 hours at the mall. The return journey was full of traffic and heavy rain. Took 8 hrs running time from thrissur!

Have attached the log for the entire trip here - Log book.xlsx

The car behaved well though I missed having more power down the revs. It struggles to pull if the engine falls below 2k rpm. Otherwise it was great. The car likes to be revved. Though the engine revs well, don't expect the car to leap forward vis.a vis the way it sounds

Got an overall FE of 18 kmpl.

And I drove my cousins Ritz and I just loved the car once again. The ride and suspension was way better than my Waggy and I loved the driving stance. Front seats felt airy and engine was just great. The gear and the clutch felt a bit too tight. Guess the car needs to run more to ease up. Getting back to my K10B after this sweet motor was a little disappointing.

My car will hit the A. S. S for the 30k service in 2 days.

Cheers!
Old 19th September 2013, 16:11   #48
BHPian

Re: Onam Hometown trip and 30k is UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post

The car behaved well though I missed having more power down the revs. It struggles to pull if the engine falls below 2k rpm. Otherwise it was great. The car likes to be revved. Though the engine revs well, don't expect the car to leap forward vis.a vis the way it sounds

Got an overall FE of 18 kmpl.

And I drove my cousins Ritz and I just loved the car once again. The ride and suspension was way better than my Waggy and I loved the driving stance. Front seats felt airy and engine was just great. The gear and the clutch felt a bit too tight. Guess the car needs to run more to ease up. Getting back to my K10B after this sweet motor was a little disappointing.

Cheers!
I too face the same problem in our A-Star Vxi. The K10B's major drawbacks are:
  • Even if you put the accelerator pedal to metal and the car is'nt in its power band, it responds really slowly. A-Star deesn't feature a tacho in the vxi variant, so I can't tell the exact rpm but if you need to use the fifth gear you have to be doing atleast 80 kmph for good acceleration.
  • If you open the bonnet while idling you can see that there is too much vibration, even much more than the Alto 800. This vibration transmits into the cabin while waiting at signals and is quite annoying.
Was the Ritz K12M or K10B? If K12, please do a comparo with its 3 cylinder sibling in terms of low end torque & driveability in congested traffic.
Old 20th September 2013, 09:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
I too face the same problem in our A-Star Vxi. The K10B's major drawbacks are:
  • Even if you put the accelerator pedal to metal and the car is'nt in its power band, it responds really slowly. A-Star deesn't feature a tacho in the vxi variant, so I can't tell the exact rpm but if you need to use the fifth gear you have to be doing atleast 80 kmph for good acceleration.
  • If you open the bonnet while idling you can see that there is too much vibration, even much more than the Alto 800. This vibration transmits into the cabin while waiting at signals and is quite annoying.
Was the Ritz K12M or K10B? If K12, please do a comparo with its 3 cylinder sibling in terms of low end torque & driveability in congested traffic.
True indeed. Vibrations are high and unless you're simply sailing in 5th, you can't use the 5th till 70 - 80kmph. The car just doesn't accelerate, even on level roads! If you need a comparo with speed and gear as you don't have a tacho, 80kmph comes at around 2.5k in 5th, 60 comes up at around 2.5 in 4th. Usually, the way i shift is

1st to 2nd - ~10kmph
2nd to 3rd - 25 - 30 kmph
3rd to 4th - 45 - 55 kmph
4th to 5th - 65 - 80 kmph

This is just an approx observation and it does differ according to the road, the load, etc.

As for the engine in the ritz, it is a K12M! And it is in every possible way better than the K10B. Its really refined, has got good low end torque and it does rev freely. It felt much more easier to be driven at slow speeds as well as in higher speeds. Its an amazing engine for sure And I guess, even the FE is pretty good!
Old 7th October 2013, 10:22   #50
BHPian

Quote:

My car will hit the A. S. S for the 30k service in 2 days.

Cheers!
We have planned to purchase a Wagon R.....please suggest if we go for a Ritz instead.
Old 11th October 2013, 22:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaycv2k View Post
We have planned to purchase a Wagon R.....please suggest if we go for a Ritz instead.
If you have the funds to go for a Ritz, definitely go for it! It for sure is a better car than the Wagon-R! I mean, not that the Wagon-R is bad, but the Ritz is better. Is there anything specific that you're looking for in your car so as to weigh Wagon-R over the Ritz or vice versa?
Old 12th October 2013, 03:10   #52
BANNED

Quote:
We have planned to purchase a Wagon R.please suggest if we go for a Ritz instead.
Both the cars are good in their own regard. No, I'm not being diplomatic but the truth. I have migrated from WagonR (2000 - 2008 & 2008 - 2010) to the Ritz (2010 til date). I still love the WagonR for its interiors, airy feel, outstanding visibility and very comfortable with spot-on ergonomics. The only reason we had to sell was the lack of the diesel engine for my usage (3500 - 4000 kms/ month).

The Ritz has a tall stance making life easier in ingress and egress. Decent visibility coupled with nice dashboard (gear lever positioning rocks!). No body roll and handles beautifully. I'd your usage is low then choose the K-Series else go for the DDIS.

WagonR and Ritz feel the same but the Ritz is slightly more upmarket that gives you a feel of a higher segment car.

Also please outline your requirements for the hatchback so we can help you better.

Quote:
Is there anything specific that you're looking for in your car so as to weigh Wagon-R over the Ritz or vice versa?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 10:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Both the cars are good in their own regard. No, I'm not being diplomatic but the truth. I have migrated from WagonR (2000 - 2008 & 2008 - 2010) to the Ritz (2010 til date). I still love the WagonR for its interiors, airy feel, outstanding visibility and very comfortable with spot-on ergonomics. The only reason we had to sell was the lack of the diesel engine for my usage (3500 - 4000 kms/ month).

The Ritz has a tall stance making life easier in ingress and egress. Decent visibility coupled with nice dashboard (gear lever positioning rocks!). No body roll and handles beautifully. I'd your usage is low then choose the K-Series else go for the DDIS.

WagonR and Ritz feel the same but the Ritz is slightly more upmarket that gives you a feel of a higher segment car.

Also please outline your requirements for the hatchback so we can help you better.
Thanks both freakmuzik and anurag the reply. Our requirements are comfortable seating for 3 people at the back, easy ingress and egress. Engine should be 1000cc as mileage is factor for us. Our usage would be around 500-700 kms / month. We also have a parking constraint hence we cannot go for a bigger car. And I have two questions, 1. If car is parked and wheels of one side (say right side) are at lower height compared to the other side, will this have a problem on the wheel balancing? 2. Should I go for teflon coating or not? I know there are separate threads and I have gone through them but I thought if I can get more inputs it would be helpful, If you don't mind could you please provide your advice?
Old 14th October 2013, 11:51   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Our requirements are comfortable seating for 3 people at the back, easy ingress and egress. Engine should be 1000 cc as mileage is factor for us. Our usage would be around 500-700 kms / month. We also have a parking constraint hence we cannot go for a bigger car.
So you can choose the WagonR or Ritz VXI. Both the cars give out good mileage and are comfortable to drive in. For getting in three passengers at the rear the Ritz would fare better than the WagonR.

Both the cars are tall so ingress and egress would be a piece of cake.

Quote:
And I have two questions,
1. If car is parked and wheels of one side (say right side) are at lower height compared to the other side, will this have a problem on the wheel balancing?
Yes there would be problem to the suspension components also as the load of the car will be on the left side since the right is on the lower end. Keep the car as possible as on flat ground with all wheels on the same plane.

Quote:
2. Should I go for teflon coating or not?
No!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 12:12   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

We own a Ritz VXi (2010) model and a WagonR VXi(ABS) 2012 model. Both are superb cars no doubt about it but the build quality of Ritz is far far better than WagonR. You'll feel that you are sitting in a robust car which actually it is. Milage is good for both. I get around 10-11kmpl in city with AC in WagonR and in same cycle, used to get over 12kmpl in Ritz. Max that i've got in WagonR on highway run is in between 18-19 kmpl but in Ritz, i was able to get over 20kmpl on many occasions. Rear seats easily accomodate 3 in Ritz. Ritz is stable at 3 digit speeds compared to WagonR. Both are good so you must check with your exact requirements.
Old 14th October 2013, 13:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
We own a Ritz VXi (2010) model and a WagonR VXi(ABS) 2012 model. Both are superb cars no doubt about it but the build quality of Ritz is far far better than WagonR. You'll feel that you are sitting in a robust car which actually it is. Milage is good for both. I get around 10-11kmpl in city with AC in WagonR and in same cycle, used to get over 12kmpl in Ritz. Max that i've got in WagonR on highway run is in between 18-19 kmpl but in Ritz, i was able to get over 20kmpl on many occasions. Rear seats easily accomodate 3 in Ritz. Ritz is stable at 3 digit speeds compared to WagonR. Both are good so you must check with your exact requirements.
Thanks for the inputs. Can you please confirm if the mileage in Ritz is better than Wagon R because Ritz has a bigger engine compared to Wagon R? I am a bit confused after seeing the figures.
Old 14th October 2013, 15:46   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the inputs. Can you please confirm if the mileage in Ritz is better than Wagon R because Ritz has a bigger engine compared to Wagon R? I am a bit confused after seeing the figures.
The Ritz at present is at Gurgaon with my brother and he is consistently getting average in between 16-17kmpl. I have no data regarding Wagon R to compare on same cycle but when the Ritz was at home, it was giving a better average than WagonR in same cycle, even better than our Santro. Our only grouse with Ritz was its width for our narrow city roads. It used to get difficult at times to negotiate through slow moving traffic consisting of cycles and rickshaws. In our family, we have 3 Ritzs and 4 WagonRs, all doing fantastic job for their owners. Thats why I said, fix up your requirements and priorities first. Both are superb cars although Ritz is a better highway handler than WagonR. If budget is not a constraint, go for Ritz ZXi.
Old 19th October 2013, 16:04   #58
BHPian

30 k service

The car is just in for the 30k / 3rd Year service! The waggy turns 3 years only in December but the odo is already at 31k. A few issues that I noted are:

1) Front suspension noise - The front suspension is very noisy even over slight undulations and is filtering in a lot of movement. It feels harsh.

2) Rattle from parcel tray area, Front left seat and the glove box area.

3) The brakes don't bite as well as they used to but still its working fine.

These are the basic issues. Since everyone in the house is totally busy and running around, we had requested for a pick up and drop. So the SA had called me sometime back. He asked me to do a Brake Ovehaul which I rejected since brakes are OK and the fluid was changed in the 20k service (the interval is 20k as per the manual).

And coming to the suspension, he told me that the Front Suspension bushes are worn out and need to be replaced to which I agreed. When asked whether its covered within the warranty, he said NO stating that it was a rubber part and is considered to be a wear and tear replacement. I cut the call and checked my extended warranty booklet as I had a vague idea about it being mentioned somewhere. On checking, under the list of items covered, suspension and steering bushing is covered! But I again cross checked the list of items not covered and bushing wasn't mentioned. So I told him this and he rejected it again and I told him again .He said he'l talk to the service engineer and get back to me.

I wanted to get the vehicle back today itself but I'm sure that's not going to happen. So monday is the D-Day i guess.

He hasn't mentioned any other works. I know that MASS generally rips of the customers these days. So i'm keeping a close watch. If I see anything over what he had mentioned in the bill, I'm definitely not going to pay for the same!

There is some body work to be done too. And i'm looking for a good independent garage here. If some one could help me recommend a good place in an around Trivandrum, that would be of great help!

Last edited by freakmuzik : 19th October 2013 at 16:08.
Old 21st October 2013, 09:42   #59
BHPian

Friends,

Need some urgent help here. The car is still at the A. S. S. They stick on to the point that all rubber parts are chargeable and he now says the suspension arm is damaged. But since my car had met with an accident once (after which the windshield, cross member etc had been changed) he says I'l have to pay for it. But I checked the entire accident repair bill and the suspension was untouched! And I've never had any uneven tyre wear or alignment issues thereafter. Do i still have to pay for that?
Old 21st October 2013, 10:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Need some urgent help here. The car is still at the A. S. S. They stick on to the point that all rubber parts are chargeable .... Do i still have to pay for that?
I am not very clear about your situation or history, these are just my thoughts.

#1. Accident do not count.
You must have fixed the car from maruti ASS itself, rite ? . So it was their job to find out if the suspension bar was broken during the incident and get it changed under the insurance claim if needed.

My Guess, they are just trying to get some money out of you, stand your grounds and get parts replaced under warranty. If you can't, then pay the money now, and file a complaint in consumer court.
limited-edition is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks